Commenting at the Chant Cafe
  • Adam, did you say vestments? ;o)
  • if more comments are desired at chant café, three things should happen:
    1. the same logins for this forum should automatically function on the Café
    2. the Café should be featured on this forum on a much more prominent place, perhaps as a "perpetual" post at the top
    3. the moderator at the Café should stop deleting every little comment he disagrees with. in other words, stop imitating the moderator of 'pray tell'
  • on #3, I can't recall deleting any! I don't think anyone has.
  • Mark P.
    Find the good and praise it. I'm trying to do this on both the Chant Cafe and NLM and the nabbering nabobs of negativism are having a field day with the absolutely magnificent Mass at Westminster Cathedral. They're not happy with the way the Altar was facing. They're unhappy about the music after the proclamation of the Gospel. They nitpick to death.

I would have considered it a privilege to assist at a Mass such as the one at Westminster Cathedral. The boys chanting the Alleluia verse was absolutely beautiful as was the Mass as a whole.
  • Blaise
    To Mr. Wood:

(I know this is (bad) Espanol, not Esperanto, but....)

Que? Que esta Ustd. dice? Que quiere?

Seriously, what is the point of this thread? I have read through your opening post and I don't understand what you are trying to say.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I wanted more people to comment on Jeffrey's blog. I like comment discussions, I like Jeffrey's posts, and I think the Chant Cafe is deserving of a more robust commenting community.
  • ha ha!

somehow I think that blogging and commenting makes us better people overall. Our limits are tested. What does not kill us makes us stronger.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I certainly have learned a great deal from the liturgical-blogging community, and from comment threads all around.
  • GavinGavin
    I disagree with Jeff. The more I get involved in blogging, the more of an angry, cynical person I become. It's spiritually toxic. I managed to stop reading WDTPRS altogether, but still am addicted to Chant Cafe, Catholic Sensibility, and PrayTell. Even still, the occasional comment at PT or CS gets my blood pressure up and I have to stay away for a few days. Back when I still read NLM, it had me angry nearly 24/7 to read people excommunicating eachother over vestments, English, or whatever.

Basically, blogging can create echo chambers where no one hears new opinions and everyone sits around becoming more and more convinced of their own Rightness. It doesn't have to be that way (as the more interesting threads on CC and the more civil threads at PT demonstrate), but when you get into "POLL ALERT!!" and cults of personality, there's a serious problem.
  • Well, i actually agree Gavin. there have to be ground rules, and the first one is no excommunications. When I used to post at NLM, I became somewhat good at ignoring all that. Developing this capacity has been good for me in general, I think. Even so, on the wrong day, I too can lose it. I've seen novices enter this world, and lose their minds very quickly.
  • Well, I think JT's offered the axiom about what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, he might have had me in mind. One can come very close to emotional death in comboxes, believe me. So, in that way I tend to agree with Gavin that it becomes necessary now and then to go on hiatus from all the litblogs. Tough to do, 12 step program may be required. Lucky we already have a higher power, eh?
  • Hi. My name is Noel. I read forums.

"HI, NOEL!"

That's step 1.
  • LOL, Noel!
    The only way out is through. Yes, you get angry and bitter reading the Net. Then you realize what's really important, and that it's all ultimately hot air.
  • Step 2: imagine that the people you meet on the Internet are real, made of flesh and blood, subject to all normal human emotions such as pride and embarrassment and vanity and the like. Try to find the possible good in people and don't assume that anyone is a monster, no matter how much that person may temporarily act like one.
  • If you want to post on your blog (please please)
  • Mark P.
    Okay. Now they're whining over the missal chant videos that were posted with the music. The pitch was too high. One found fault with the rhythm of the singer. The music needed to be on two-staffs.

They're literally spoon-fed something and they complain.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yeah- I was frustrated by that too. In terms of sheer usefulness, those videos were one of the best things the Cafe has provided.
    Good grief!
  • And yet the Cafe just embedded them. Never forget that it is the great and glorious CMAA that has provided these.
  • CharlesW
    As a general rule, I don't read blogs - often for the reasons Gavin stated. I have found Gavin to be a wise man, for one so young. Another reason is years of posting on Eastern Catholic forums. You think Latins nitpick? a typical eastern post can go something like:

Who was that eastern bishop pictured on...?
    He was patriarch of the undivided Ukrainian church of the holy....
    He was not a true Ukrainian, because he was not wearing the correct liturgical shoelaces.
    Who are you to know the holy Ukrainian liturgical law?
    The white bands came before the orange. A true Ukrainian bishop would wear laces with the orange bands first.
    Not so, you heretic. The Council of Grand Fenwick declared in 1923 that white precedes orange.
    It was a Sergianist revision to holy orthodox practice and that council is condemned for apostasy from the true faith.

Hey, been there, done that, and heard it all before. ;-)
  • ha ha ha wow