Commenting at the Chant Cafe
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I was really happy when JT moved his blogging to the Chant Cafe, and away from the NLM, several months ago.

Only problem....
    The best thing (in my opinion) about the NLM blog is the enthusiastic readership, which always leads to fascinating (and often heated) comment discussions.
    I've been a little bummed that several comment-worthy, discussion-prone blog posts have come and gone with nary a peep from the public.

I am therefore outlining the following plan to elect Jeffrey Tucker king of all the Americas get more people to comment at the Chant Cafe.
    1. If you aren't reading Chant Cafe, you should be.
    2. If you're reading Chant Cafe, and you have an opinion (even a completely uninformed one) about the topic of a blog post, you should definitely comment to that effect.
    3. Likewise, if a post raises any questions in your mind, be sure to ask them there.
    4. A blog comment is a good place to compliment or insult a blogger's fashion sense, especially in regards to said blogger's choice of neck wear.
    5. Crazy people comment more. Therefore, we should embark on a concerted effort to get the most ridiculous readers from both the extreme conservative and extreme liberal fringes.
    6. Those of you who read other blogs should make an effort to comment on them, with (relevant!) cross links back to posts at the Chant Cafe.
    7. Raise an army of ninjas to attack NLM, Pray Tell, Roma Locuta Est, and Fr. Z, "liberating" their readers over to our side.
    8. Encourage Jeffrey to post more controversial blog posts. For example:
      • Should Mass be offered in Esperanto?
      • The proper use of rainbow-colored vestments in the Roman Rite.
      • Either way he faces, someone's going to call it backwards.
      • Are Tambourines allowed in the Extraordinary Form? The Debate Rages On!

So... who's with me?!
  • I'm not sure about Esperanto but maybe interlingua

I really don't know how to account for the lack of comment box action at the Cafe. The readership is very high.

Do you really think that I need to post more controversial things?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Do you really think that I need to post more controversial things?

Not on purpose. "Normal" topics of interest are probably controversial enough.

I think the Ninja idea has merit, though.
  • Non-discriminatory inculturization!

The Lord's Prayer in Interlingua:

Patre nostre, qui es in le celos,
    que sia sanctificate tu nomine;
    que veni tu regno;
    que sia facite tu voluntate
    in le celo como etiam super le terra.
    Da nos pan nostre quotidian hodie,
    e pardona a nos nostre debitas
    como nos pardona los a nostre debitores,
    e non duce nos in tentation,
    sed libera nos del mal.

Something that EVERY bishop can vote on.
  • chonakchonak
    There apparently is an approved Mass text in Esperanto, used at conferences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Union_of_Catholic_Esperantists
  • Imagine the meeting of the Bishops representing the countries where esperanto is the major language meeting to argue over the use of the word:

neesprimebla

"All against the word, neesprimebla, say NO."

Silence

"With no negative votes, the word is accepted."

Silence

"Let's break for lunch."

[I can see that esperanto was a bit easier to get approved than english.]
  • I avoid commenting often in large part because I get too crabby about a certain commenter who rains on most parades, I'll call him Mr. Seedlesseve. Rarely does anything productive happen by responding. Why bother?
    Though I appreciate varying arguments, vitriol and disgust for the Church as demonstrated by some folks with ideas like his make me
    stop reading or I get my Irish up way too high.
    Just wanted to give an honest reason why I read a lot but rarely comment. Yup, I'm aware this is a largely my own shortcoming.
  • Ok, posted just now with extra zip in all directions.

I've had many people write and tell me that we should shut down Todd else no one will comment. I've known Todd for many years and while he does have a fiery internet personality, he is not entirely half baked in her views. I can almost regard him as a benefactor since he has helped me sharpen my own perspective after years of challenges. Challenges can be annoying but they can also be helpful.

I do wish that people could learn to ignore what they don't like or don't feel like grappling with at that moment. I think think this has ever hurt his feelings.

In any case, i'm just saying that I'm aware of this issue.
  • Deleted
  • Kathy
    I would like to sponsor a ninja.

My frustration with Todd is that I don't really believe he buys into his own opinions half the time, but is just stirring the pot. It's hard enough to talk with people you have sincere disagreements with, but impossible when they're just tweaking your nose because they feel it needs tweaking.

Hey, maybe Todd could join the Benedictines.
  • Yes, I think that's true too!
  • Jeffrey, my respectometer for you continues to climb. I will make an extra effort to follow your advice.

Kathy might be on to some sort of a resolution. When Todd tweaks your nose, send back a wet willy. It could work, I mean laughter is the best medicine, even for cranky little Irishwomen like me.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Is there an RSS feed for Chant Cafe? I find it SO much more efficient to read blogs that way, and it's the major reason why I haven't taken the time to follow it.
  • don roy
    I agree to a point with jeffry about the need to not be so thin skinned. the problem for me however is that the discussion isnt just an intellectual excersize. its something very impoortant to me so there is much emotion attached to the subject. while i relish good faith discussions and disagreements i have a problem with someone writing to get a rise especially when the "you all vs me" attitude comes condescendingly clear.
    rightly or wrongly i percieve a fundamental lack of respect from todd, an attitude i deal with everyday at work and one i dont wish to deal with in the combox relm.
  • Don, I completely understand this too. In fact, both Adam and I have tried many times to get Todd to understand this point. I think he is coming around.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Carl-
    What RSS reader do you use? Most of them have an auto-discovery feature that allows you to just type in the main site address.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: Esperanto and Interlingua

Such great ideas! IF ONLY there was a language, any language at all, that could serve as a universal language for diplomacy, scholarship, and theology. It would have to be a language not spoken by any current culture or ethnic group, so that it would be politically neutral. It would help if it's grammar and vocabulary were related to a lot of other languages, so that it would be as easy as possible for people to learn and translate in/out of. It would be best if it wasn't used for everyday speech, as that would cause the meanings of words to change overtime.

This would be really great, because it could facilitate communication across natural-language barriers. Any institution that spans several countries or continents could use the language for official documents and international gatherings.

I just can't think of any languages that would fit the bill. I guess I'll have to get a bunch of my friends together and make one up.

Es dere enny-unos chi desiren ta joinen cum mea?
  • I've been practicing my pig Latin
  • LOL, Adam! There is one, but I've heard it's only used by monarchists.
    Tambourines are allowed in the EF, but only as collection plates.
  • The direction this thread has taken overnight vexes me tremendously. As mentioned, frustration has also overwhelmed me in past discussions, and I have responded with mixed (self) results. But by focusing attention upon the person and the personhood of any individual here or elsewhere, we obfuscate or even obliterate the noble, Christian witness we claim to advance on the Church's behalf. Yes, we know the atmosphere and climate in Liturgyland is heated and toxic; how does decrying the dignity (even if it appears warranted) of another soul remediate that reality in any truthful way?
    And the chasm between the poles of P/T and MS/CC will WIDEN. And, speaking only for myself, there is "no smaller, purer church" whose voice alone speaks for the Body of Christ.
    As my pastor occasionally remarks to me, "We have our own Talibans" in the Church. Do the math.
    For myself, I signed onto CC because of its elegant/simple notion: a place for chant enthusiasts to meet and discuss liturgy and life. I know, from personal experience, that there are many unheard-from voices who can no longer listen, hear and deliberate our POV because most of us have been unable to concentrate upon staying on point. It doesn't matter if that was made difficult or seemingly impossible because of others' rhetoric, if we feel called upon to fraternally correct error, it should always be focused upon the ideas at hand, not any presumed intent or semantical device inwhich that error was advanced.
    I want you all to know that I'm directing this, my sermonizing, at myself. I am often disposed to lose my head when others around me do not. It is not a pleasant condition. And I have many people, mostly women (from my wife, choir friends and my beloved comrades in CMAA), who serve as examples of tolerance, understanding and above all, love.
    Can we return to our normal programming, please?
    I find the sharing of music that is burgeoning here to be most exciting.
  • Kathy
    Charles, I hope you know how much I dislike disagreeing with you. However, I feel that the normal programming here should occasionally address problems. Todd is a problem on these boards, not because of who he is but because of how he argues. He deliberately vexes. He could stop doing that.
  • don roy
    charles
    i hear you and for the most part agree. however there is a reason i dont contribute over at chant cafe and if were to talk about that then certain personalities have to be talked about. that is the topic of this thread is it not...why more peoiple arent sharing over there?
  • And Kathy, I hope you know how much I appreciate your disagreeing with me (which I sincerely do like!) But, I have to point out that your solution to the problem, however perceived, depends upon the "other" altering his/her behavior. That doesn't speak to how "we" should respond. We're not the boss of others. We barely manage, with God's help, to discipline and order our own lives and behaviors.
    Regarding proper place (cool pun, huh?), I believe that issues about intent and personalities need to be addressed off-line. I will likely break that rule myself fairly soon down the road.
    DR, the reason I don't contribute as much as I'd like is that there are some really smart people over there!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Unen benfito ov mi lingua-proposee: de "Todd," nos secreto-fecere.
    Si nos-toto learnen ta scrib e rid e talktalk, abutt non-unas informan "Todd" re:InterEspantolatifakefake,
    o-nay ore-may an-cay e-hay other-bay us-ay.

I should stop....
  • LOL!

eally-ray it ust-may opt-say eing-bay all-hay about-way oddtay
  • I'm not saying Todd is a troll, but the usual way to to deal with trolls is to stop feeding them. Stop responding to them, and they go away eventually. (Disclaimer: I honestly believe that all trolls are really really good people. My attitude is totally NTTAWWT with them.)

Regarding the snark directed at NLM: I would like to pile on: Comment discussions there are less lively today then during JT's time, although Fr. Stravinskas had some surprisingly strong words last week about the maniple in the OF. Nevertheless, they really deliver the goods with their annual pretty-in-pink photo spreads around Gaudete Sunday.
  • Ok, I brought up oddtay thinking it was just me and my particular weakness. It was an honest reply to the question of so few comments. Again, I was and am only claiming to respond for me.
    Basically I started staying away from the combox because I perceived nastiness and (non fun) immaturity. That's all. I love the posts!!
    Remember that some of you guys know Todd and can sift through the real man versus his combox personality. Others are left with the trollish side only.
    I don't think the answer is to shut him down, and for my part I will get thicker skin (I am paying Charles and Don Roy for some skin grafting) and contribute with more frequency.
    Maybe I shouldn't have been so direct with my initial response. I do agree with JT that it can't be all about Todd.

SO,
    What are some other reasons?
  • Ah, Kathy, asking a man to...change?

Silly concept.

If some people wanted to be loved, they'd try harder to get along.

There is an angel here (undoubtedly closely related to Fulton Sheen's blackboard eraser-wielding one) that deletes offensive postings, which has undoubtedly kept me on this list.

There are those that post to vex me and I am learning to drop out and go away. Haven't learned yet, but trying.

See, I've just done it again.
  • francis
    JT

I regret to inform you that I don't even have time to read your CC blog, Father Z, and a host of other blogs that I would LOVE to keep up on... If I did, I just would not have time to produce choir music, new compositions, keep up my websites (haha... I just updated the Colloquium logo from two years ago)... and, of course, practice the organ... ...Dear Me! I need more hours in my day!

I like the idea of RSS FEED... might look into that.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I used to read ALL the Catholic liturgy blogs, from NLM to Gotta Sing, Gotta Pray, and everything in between (mutual enrichment).
    But- I found I spent way too much of my day reading and writing on blogs instead of doing anything actually productive. When JT left NLM for CC, I decided that was a good time to divest myself. I also stopped reading and commenting on blogs in my day-job field (web design/marketing/social media/software dev). I was up to over 150 blogs I kept up with (yes, really- I used Google Reader to keep myself organized).

I am now down to only one blog in any area of interest: The Chant Cafe.
  • I'm not doing NLM these days because I'm just not a clothes kind of guy.
  • don roy
    charles
    I really hear you concerning the really smart peole over at chant cafe (which by the way, i count you among them) but strictly for me i am simply too old to get emotionally charged over a combox comment. when i do i feel a sense as if ive been "caught" yet again in a grand waste of time.
    i think nlm has been and continues to be an important contributor to the ongoing renewal. i think we are still too small a movement to not utalize all the web has to offer. plus it really does have far and away, the best looking pictures.
  • Adam, I'm with you on this. I used to use Google reader but it made it way way too easy to read hundreds of blogs! I found that I could hardly do anything else. So I deliberately do NOT use Google reader precisely so that I can't keep up with as much stuff. I have to pick and choose. Time is scarce and I can only stuff so much stuff in my head.

I was just at the dentist and Fox news was on. I watched it for 20 minutes. What an amazing bunch of yammering gibberish blah blah about absolutely nothing - most of it pure fiction spouted off by pretty faces. I feel sorry for anyone who watches that nonsense very often. How can anyone survive much of this and be a normal person? I just can't believe there are people who think they are getting "news" by watching this.
  • I suppose....I better change the channel.

Makes you watch Fox news? Well, if you economize by not paying for novocain, maybe they thought Fox would distract you from the pain.
  • GavinGavin
    I'd be interested in commenting, but one of the following always stops me:

- Mainly, I just don't have time to follow up, and any comments would be questions for my own edification
    - Also, generally my viewpoint is expressed by someone else, or something that's been hammered to death
    - Too much personal politics in both directions.

Frankly, I love to see Todd's comments there. I think he's often wrong, but often presents a different way of looking at the issues. He does tend to get repetitive: Contemporary music is better than hymns because it has an antiphon/verse format, congregational participation is more important than repertoire, and the seeds of "Reform2" were planted by the folk movement. And yet, I can't think of a coherent response made to those points without strawmanning him into being the "status quo", which certainly he does not represent.
  • hmmm, wow, that's a great summary of many years of reading!
  • Carl DCarl D
    I happen to be using the RSS reader FeedDemon at the moment, synced up to my Google Reader feeds. So I just went ahead and gave it chantcafe.com as the URL and it immediately picked it up.

I should have more faith in technology. ;-)
  • The RSS reader that I use (snownews) stopped working with the Chant Café after the article ‘The Dierschow Recordings of Colloquium XX’, but I find the web-blog interesting enough that I still visit it the old fashioned way!
  • hmmm, that's weird because it is what it is
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I really wish Tucker would return back to NLM.... Nobody has gained from the chant cafe. I have little interest in checking out NLM anymore and I don't really have any interest in reading the Chant Cafe. I think the great thing about NLM was that everything was under one roof and that the commentators were nuts. You could read people arguing over vestments in one thread, talking about the glories of an Introit in the next thread, and then a debate about the validity of something in the third thread. It was a plethora of excellence...

Now I just feel empty inside when reading either NLM or CC.
  • well, it's hard to say that no one has benefited. We opened only two months ago, and we've received 100,000 page views since then, and the traffic is growing.

Alexa lists our US traffic ranking at 135,009.

This is far above GIA which has a much lower ranking of 387,521.

We also beat NPM which is at 263,415.

OCP is still higher than the cafe at 118,063.
  • Didn't know OCP had a site. Ignorance is bliss! :)
  • marajoymarajoy
    and what's NLM?

(I mean, what's their ranking?)
  • It is encouraging to read that since Jeffrey has left NLM that all the commentators have regained their sanity! Jeffrey, unfortunately, seems to have not found his yet, but there is hope.

Part of the confusion may be that some think that Jeffrey leapt from the building but rather he, like HD, was pushed.
  • francis
    MA... OCP has a site, but they still can't see! Perhaps that is changing (hopefully).
  • Noel, I wish I could understand your message above. There are two sentences and I can't follow either. Can you state what you mean more plainly?
  • I was responding to matthewj's colorful and enjoyable post:

"I think the great thing about NLM was that everything was under one roof and that the commentators were nuts"

It is encouraging to read that since Jeffrey has left NLM that all the commentators have regained their sanity! Jeffrey, unfortunately, seems to have not found his yet, but there is hope.

I really wish Tucker would return back to NLM...

Part of the confusion may be that some think that Jeffrey leapt from the building but rather he, like HD, was pushed.

[humpty dumpty sat....]

I think that an invitation to Jeffrey Tucker to return would be a nice gesture from NLM, but it would be up to him as to whether he'd go back. As I understand, there was a refusal to publish something written, resulting in the defenestration. One rarely jumps out a window without reason.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think everyone, from Mr. Tribe to Mr. Tucker, need to see that a combined English blog on the New Liturgical Movement on everything from chant to vestments is in the best interest. Without Tucker, NLM has a huge hole where Tucker's music articles used to be. Without NLM, Tucker's articles have a huge hole in the lack of the vibrant commenting group of the NLM.

It would be in the best interest of all if the two groups would come to a new agreement... Perhaps with Tucker's articles appearing both on Chant Cafe and NLM.
  • Of course I would be very happy for anything to be reposted anywhere!
  • I read, but I rarely comment anymore about much of anything. As some others have said, I don't have the time or the psychic energy.

Todd is simply Todd - and I wouldn't want him to turn into someone else. There are people all across the liturgical spectrum who drive me nuts occasionally, some always. And I'm sure I return the favor for many.

Occasionally I look at the pictures on NLM, but I never read the comments because they always seem to deteriorate into some fine point of maniple attachment or some such.

Right now my favorite blogs are all monastic, giving me an encouraging view into the hidden lives that keep the world in motion. Those and a very select set of music, mostly non-liturgical, blogs are more than enough.

Heck, I have harps to tune, music to arrange, and a desire to watch Anthony Bourdain on Netflix.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think I've figured out the commenting problem...

Unlike all the other Catholic Liturgy blogs, both Traditional or Contemporary (from NLM to Gotta Sing), the Chant Cafe's readership is primarily intelligent, sane, WORKING musicians who have real, actual things to do other than moan and argue about translations, vestments, styles, orientation (liturgical and otherwise), vestments, architecture, and vestments.

(And I know everyone in entitled to their own tastes but, really?! Those NLM folks act as if those god-awful Roman bib-capes are a fundamental cornerstone of the Liturgical renewal. What's the deal with that, anyway?)