UK Papal Visit
  • Kathy,
    Thanks for posting the hymn text--I was wondering as I watched this morning. I recognized the tune as "Faith of our Fathers," but the feed I was watching had commentary, so I couldn't make out the words. Given my comment yesterday, I today observed clergy of the Roman Church singing multiple verses of this hymn without seeming to read the words.

There are a number of extensive video clips at NLM (without commentary).
    As far as propers, here are my observations: The processional was a choir piece, followed by the chant Introit, Dignus est Agnus, during the incensation. There was a responsorial psalm, followed by the proper Allleluia chant and verse, Caro mea vere est cibus. The Offertory motet, was I think, Christus factus est, which was the proper text for the Gradual. The first Communion chant was the proper, Unus militum (also the Communio for Sacred Heart), with Psalm verses, followed by a motet, O Sacrum Convivium, and the hymn noted by Kathy. The propers for the Votive Mass of the Most Precious Blood are listed in your 1979 Graduale Romanum, page 659, a very fitting choice, as it is the title of the Cathedral.

A couple of non-musical comments. It was edifying to hear some of the British clergy (presumably bishops) pray parts of the Roman Canon in Latin, as is customary in concelebration. There were also notable silences observed, after the homily and after Communion. It seemed the Holy Father was trying to say "Here's how you do this, my children."
  • CharlesW
    Does anyone know a source for purchasing sheet music of the James MacMillan Mass? I would like to have a copy.
  • From the First Things blog, http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2010/09/18/‘to-sing-for-jesus’-celebrating-‘the-new-beatus’/
    some thoughts about singing at the beatification Mass (don't miss the bus!):

Leonie Caldecott, an English Catholic friend of mine, is singing tomorrow at Cardinal Newman’s beatification Mass. We e-mailed tonight about her thoughts the night before in anticipation. At first, in the spirit of truth, she was thoroughly human and admitted: “I am worrying I won’t sleep for excitement, and then mess up tomorrow because I am tired! (we got up very early this morning too, to go and rehearse in Birmingham).”

But she also emailed:

I am also very aware of how close God is to us as we gather around His new Beatus. . . . So there is a feeling of delight, almost humour, at the busy human dimension of our preparations, the ups and downs; the background each of us brings to this momentous day, so long awaited by those who love John Henry Newman, not to mention his twenty-first-century pope, so influenced by him.

We are singing in a choir of 2000 people (with a Schola of 200, of which I am, unbelievably, one). There is something very beautiful about all these people—children, young people, and every age up from that, as well as some in wheel-chairs. We have come from all over Great Britain to be here. To sing for Jesus, to surround the Holy Father with our voices. In a fanciful moment I think of the Wilton Diptych, with its group of Angels clustering around Our Lady and Jesus as she offers His foot for adoration to King Richard. I think of our country: the Dowry of Mary. I hope we can offer a small addition to that Dowry when we sing tomorrow, celebrating the first English Beatus since the Reformation. A very English Saint, but a man relevant to the Universal Church, to the Church in this specific moment of history. I think—I hope—I will feel proud of my country, as well as my faith, tomorrow morning.

But, in good humor—or humour, and some genuine worry—Leoni finishes: “If I wake up in time and don’t miss the bus!”
  • ghmus7
    Finally some GREAT music for the Holy Father!! The Macmillan was great - did you hear the chant introit with the superb interpretation of the quillisma!
    I knew the Cathedral would not let us down! The choir sounded incredible. The tone from the boys was superb.
    And imho, this is real Catholic singing, with some blood in it, not the Anglican 'pretty tone' (don't mean to offend anyone)
    Gloria in Excelsis Deo

http://www.thepapalvisit.org.uk/The-Visit-Live/Watch-Again/Westminster-Cathedral-Holy-Mass
  • Robsc
    The most moving moment for me was hearing the Deacon (Jake Sullivan) who was healed through the intercession of Blessed John Neumann proclaim the Gospel. I thought the Massed Choir at the Mass was wonderful. I also loved the singing of the English congregations. Its always embarrassing when I'm watching a Mass from a place like the National Shrine and when the camera pans the mute congregation.
  • Charles W:
    You'll have to wait:
    http://www.boosey.com/cr/music/James-MacMillan-Mass-of-Blessed-John-Henry-Newman/56989

MacMillan, James: Mass of Blessed John Henry Newman (2010) 15'
    for cantor, congregation and organ, with optional SATB chorus, brass and timpani

Music Text
    new translation of the Mass (E)

Scoring
    2tpt.2trbn-timp-organ
    Currently exclusively available for use during the Pope's visit to the UK in September 2010. Availability for future performances to be advised.

World Premiere
    9/16/2010
    Bellahouston Park, Glasgow
    Congregation
  • Kathy
    It's rather amusing to see the liberal liturgical establishment twisting and angling to provide a negative spin on this glorious event.
  • Robsc
    Kathy,

Can you give us a link to this? I'm interested to see what they're saying.
    Rob