From Solesmes.... The Death of the Ictus and the Dot
  • PhatFlute
    1) I will love base ball always, no fights will stop it !
    2) Gregorian chant has to much going on for my taste. only my opinion, and it is not clean/r as is Da Palestrina,

Ph
  • BGP
    Ok, I guess I’ll pitch in my 2 cents.
    The original discussion in this thread was about the absence of dots and ictus in the recent publications of office books from Solesmes. The antiphons of the office are simple enough that anyone experienced in singing chant, regardless of interpretive approach shouldn’t need any ‘helper markings’. The notion that the “old Solesmes” method is obsolete is however debatable.
    Obsolete in what way?

The markings in fact are an attempt to represent some of the nuances found in the manuscripts within the context of a created systematic approach to chant rhythm.

As to the role of the ictus. The Solesmes method is really about synthesis. Unfortunately this seems to not be understood by many, both those who are trying to use it and those criticizing it. The ictus is used to organize the melody into a rhythmical framework of smallest possible rhythmic groups. The point of ictus is at rest where the off ictus units are in a state of impulse. The restfulness’s and impulses are not equal to each other but colored by where they occur in the bigger flow of the melody. So the raw ictic rhythm is synthesized with the larger dynamics and flow of the melody and this is synthesized with the rhythm of the text.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    The ictus is used to organize the melody into a rhythmical framework of smallest possible rhythmic groups. The point of ictus is at rest where the off ictus units are in a state of impulse. The restfulness’s and impulses are not equal to each other but colored by where they occur in the bigger flow of the melody. So the raw ictic rhythm is synthesized with the larger dynamics and flow of the melody and this is synthesized with the rhythm of the text.

No disagreements here from me. I guess the problem I have is that there is more than one way to skin this cat, and proponents of the ictus as printed often believe (or at least portray the belief) that where the ictus is placed in Solesmes editions is near to being divinely inspired.

I may take into account where the Solesmes editions choose to place the ictus, particularly in melismatic passages - but to me they sometimes feel very much like editorial fingering in Baroque keyboard music or - better yet - editorial accents or staccato marks in a score of Renaissance choral music. I don't want my choir seeing them because (not willy-nilly, but after careful deliberation and study) I as a conductor might want to do something differently. This is all not to even mention the confusion which ensues regarding the way the salicus is notated with a vertical episema.

I guess my frustration comes from the fact I wish we were far enough along as musicians that we wouldn't need the help. Sure, piano editions with lots of fingering or choral with lots editorial dynamics may be helpful to beginners - but we should be striving to learn as much as possible to not need all that help as soon as possible.
  • BGP
    SkirpR- sure you could use a different methodology for marking ictus or breaking the melody down into the smallest elementary rhythms, and still be using the method overall.
    One advantage of sticking with the conventional approach is of course that it provides a certain ‘universal’ interpretation.

Using the method correctly and in a way that is beautiful requires artistry and skill by the director. It isn’t simply marking ictuses and plodding through. In my own practice I convey rhythm with my conducting and by giving examples in places, my singers don’t really think about the ictus too much.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    sure you could use a different methodology for marking ictus or breaking the melody down into the smallest elementary rhythms, and still be using the method overall. One advantage of sticking with the conventional approach is of course that it provides a certain ‘universal’ interpretation. Using the method correctly and in a way that is beautiful requires artistry and skill by the director.

At the risk of running in circles, the problem is that the method seems to me to be imposed on the original music and the resulting interpretation is simply one of many possible subjective interpretations - beautiful as it may be. Some might even argue the resulting performance wouldn't be in line with musicological evidence in the original manuscripts.

While the musicologist in me suspects that to be true, I feel, however, that an "old Solesmes" interpretation is generally what as Catholics we're culturally used to from chant in liturgy, and that in most liturgical situations, it's nevertheless best to generally inform our performance by the particular kind of beauty in that style.

But to say that there must be one universal interpretation in that general style is as if to say that there is only one way to create phrases in Baroque melismas and that it must be standardized. Beauty and artistry - even in the general framework of the "old Solesmes" style - are not the sole province of following Solesmes' ictuses.

It's as if we're trying to codify artistry and beauty. The impulse comes from a noble place I'm sure, but such things cannot be learned from a book, they must be passed on through apprenticeship, living it, singing it, and thankfully (with our modern technology) recordings.

Maybe I've just not had someone get it across to me yet (despite my encounters, studies, and friendships with numerous CMAA faculty) but when you combine my above concerns with my previous comments about the departure required from "standard conducting technique" often taught along with the ictuses, perhaps you might see my reluctance to embrace this method if my ensembles and I can achieve similar stylistic results and beauty without bothering with the printed ictus.

I wonder if one could do a blind study. Use semi-melismatic chant with which everyone is mostly unfamiliar. One conductor and ensemble given one without ictuses. Another conductor and ensemble of the same level given the same chant with ictuses. I bet even a well-educated audience - unfamiliar with the specific chant, but knowledgeable about chant in general - could not tell which ensemble and conductor were using which score.
  • CharlesW
    " I bet even a well-educated audience - unfamiliar with the specific chant, but knowledgeable about chant in general - could not tell which ensemble and conductor were using which score."

I think you are on to something here. I have watched, for years, in great amusement at supposed chant experts and gurus waving their arms in circles. For what reason, I never knew, when it seemed to me standard conducting techniques would have conveyed more accurate information. I have come to my own conclusion that reliance on Solesmes has created a class of "experts" steeped in arcane and mystical knowledge supposedly unknown to the unwashed who only studied modern conducting techniques. It's all hogwash, or the modern equivalent of alchemy. Solesmes methods are a contrivance based on the assumed chant knowledge of its time. Is that method more accurate than anyone else's method? Probably not. I know, I will soon hear a chorus of, "but everyone does it that way." Maybe they do, but should they? This all need a critical and long overdue examination. YMMV.

Another thought on this. Does this over-reliance on Solesmes deter average parish musicians from attempting chant? If they are trained musicians, my thinking is they should attempt chant based on their training, with Solesmes being a more remote consideration. I would rather see chant more widely used, than only have chant that conforms to this one method - a method that may serve to limit the distribution of chant in average or smaller parishes.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Eloquently stated, SkirpR, and I'm beginning to understand your point. I can't imagine learning to sing the propers without ictus marks and going exactly by the Solesmes book, as it were, in that respect, although our director, being a professional band director, has developed his own method of chant conducting based on twos and threes which I couldn't begin to explain technically but which is highly effective for our group. I think over time each schola does indeed develop a method which works for them.

A former Benedictine monk once sang for us a Communion antiphon according to the Solesmes method and then the same antiphon according to the semiological code in the Triplex, and they were both enchanting, but I know it would take a great deal of study and skill to be adept in both methods.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I probably should state now (if you haven't guessed it already) that I am firmly in the Cardine camp (campo aperto?).

I have found that there is really no one way to direct chant. I have sung chant under Jeffrey Morse (the OP of this thread), Edward Schaefer, Dr. Mahrt, and Wilko Brouwers. All are excellent interpreters of chant, and all have different conducting styles: from Old Solesmes to completly 'Semiological'; from minimal gestures made by the right index finger only to large sweeping motions on dramatic ascents. I have tried different approaches to directing chant, and have applied aspects from all of these approaches when they will help my choir achieve the intended results.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I have found that there is really no one way to direct chant. I have sung chant under Jeffrey Morse (the OP of this thread), Edward Schaefer, Dr. Mahrt, and Wilko Brouwers. All are excellent interpreters of chant, and all have different conducting styles: from Old Solesmes to completly 'Semiological'; from minimal gestures made by the right index finger only to large sweeping motions on dramatic ascents. I have tried different approaches to directing chant, and have applied aspects from all of these approaches when they will help my choir achieve the intended results.

Yes, I've heard groups conducted by all of these people, and it's always beautiful. You have to understand chant and its beauty, its essence in order to evoke it from an ensemble and convey it to listeners - but how you arrive at your understanding is not as important.

Except for

I have come to my own conclusion that reliance on Solesmes has created a class of "experts" steeped in arcane and mystical knowledge supposedly unknown to the unwashed who only studied modern conducting techniques.

Does this over-reliance on Solesmes deter average parish musicians from attempting chant?

This. Which may be the real issue, and quite possibly a not insignificant part of what went wrong, why English chant never took off, and why nobody sang any propers after Vatican II.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen MatthewRoth
  • BruceL
    This is a really compelling discussion.

I don't agree with the assessment that chironomy a la Mocquereau muddies the water with more modern (polyphonic) music. In fact, I think it can definitely inform any conducting. The important thing is that the people are used to your conducting and that you have "economy of gesture" (e.g., no superfluous movements). Keep in mind there's an English school of psalm chanting (think George Guest) that clearly owes more to what we would call chironomy than a conventional conducting style.

My chironomy is not the best, but it's a good tool. Conducting a la Schaefer wouldn't work here since the whole choir (30 voices?) sings the propers. However, I DO demonstrate each line phrase-by-phrase, which in some way goes against the Old Solesmes way of doing things, right? The combination of these two things, though, seems to do the trick for us.

There are so many ways to skin a cat. I sing in a friend's polyphony group. We do some pretty hard motets (the big Byrd ceremonial ones, etc.), but also easy ones. Take the Byrd Ave Verum. The way we're singing it with him, he gives a whole measure (in 2) before we sing, then pretty much keeps beating time in 2 till "cujus"(I see user @SkirpR 's blood boiling already!) I have a great deal of respect for my friend, he's a very good conductor and rehearser, but his interpretation of that first phrase makes me RAGE!!! I would rather give a prep (in time) then exclusively conduct the phrase (dynamically speaking) and text accents. It requires more commitment from the singers, but (I think) lends a better musical result. It demands perfection from the conductor (you can't move the body too much or they'll stop paying attention to the gesture), but hey, isn't that why we're making the big bucks, friends? :)
    Thanked by 2SkirpR CHGiffen
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I sing in a friend's polyphony group. We do some pretty hard motets (the big Byrd ceremonial ones, etc.), but also easy ones. Take the Byrd Ave Verum. The way we're singing it with him, he gives a whole measure (in 2) before we sing, then pretty much keeps beating time in 2 till "cujus"(I see user @SkirpR 's blood boiling already!) I have a great deal of respect for my friend, he's a very good conductor and rehearse.

Ah, but here you've betrayed that the group sings polyphony exclusively - betraying that they may have enough familiarity with the style to get away with it. I've just seen too many conductors do this with non-professional or non-experienced singers and imagine they're getting out of the way of the music - and instead they're just along for the ride in a performance where no real music is happening.

I've also been told that such expression is much more effective when it's subtle. I won't say there's not some truth in that, but that sort of thing also smells like mystical hocus-pocus to me in most cases. If on a 100-point scale, an expressive level of 40 is demanded (which I'm not sure I agree with either, but let's just go with that), I'd rather err on the side of 55 than 25.
    Thanked by 2BruceL CHGiffen
  • BruceL
    It's interesting you mention subtlety. In the same group, there's a colleague who conducts a local university choir. It's a big school that (until recently) wasn't doing much musically. However, there's been a new infusion of talent, including this choral conductor. His choir of 50-60 (which is almost all non-majors, but is by audition) has an absolutely incredible sound. However, his gesture is EXTREMELY economical: really the smallest I've seen. It will grow if there's a big moment (this was incredible to watch in Mendelssohn Mitten Wir!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FugmAQhMImE To me, he breaks a lot of rules (hands sort of down, etc.), but it's still great and I enjoy watching. (NB: That recording isn't very good: what sounds like vibrato is distortion, I think).
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    He and I are actually professional acquaintances.

To me, he breaks a lot of rules (hands sort of down, etc.), but it's still great and I enjoy watching.

I don't think I can see his hands enough to comment, but I have my own thoughts on hand shape. I've worked with enough people to have figured out that many "rules" in conducting are a little silly. 1) How many great teachers disagree on what should logically speaking be fundamental principles? 2) More importantly, everybody is different, physically, emotionally, gesturally - what works for one person does not in another.

And that's really the key - and one we can steer back to the ictus - the goal should be to gain enough education/knowledge/experience to really understand it - and then figure out what works for you regardless of techniques that may be revered/famous/successful for other people.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I think this might be the first rapport between the schools of Old Solesmes and Cardine. When will the lightning strike?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I think this might be the first rapport between the schools of Old Solesmes and Cardine. When will the lightning strike?

It seems to me there is a sequence of steps the ideas about a particular genre of music (en masse or within a smaller group) seem to go through - and not playing it out completely in mind yet, it seems it might be applicable to other concepts:

1) Isn't this great, we've not heard this before (or at least not like this for hundred/thousands of years)?! Everyone agrees.

2) One person or camp has an idea on how to make this better.

3) Another person or camp has a competing idea.

4) Both ideas are interpreted by the masses as being mutually exclusive, which in the end to a greater or lesser extent weakens the entire concept. Some degree of bitterness ensues.

5) Eventually, with a majority of people allow enough distance and time from the original dispute, proponents of both sides can come to see the value in the other, and the overall thing is better off for it.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Eventually, with a majority of people allow enough distance and time from the original dispute, proponents of both sides can come to see the value in the other, and the overall thing is better off for it.

The real 'power behind the throne' with the Solesmes Method was Mrs Ward. I can assure you that if she were still alive the Liber Hymnarius and Antiphonale Romanum II would never have been published. It was she who raised Dom Andre to the level of demigod, and his method as Holy Writ.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And they say women have no power in the Church....
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I think king-making can serve a purpose for a time. It's one way of getting people fired-up and on-board with something, but it must eventually run its course.

Choral conductors can take as example the "Schools of Choral Singing in America" chapter (or whatever the exact title was) in the Decker/Herford book on choral conducting. Most of us can barely recognize people following to the letter any of those "schools" any more, but I think the art form is ultimately all the better for those who, for a time, did.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • The real 'power behind the throne' with the Solesmes Method was Mrs Ward. I can assure you that if she were still alive the Liber Hymnarius and Antiphonale Romanum II would never have been published. It was she who raised Dom Andre to the level of demigod, and his method as Holy Writ.

I'm afraid this just isn't true. Mocquereau was world famous decades before he became involved with Justine Ward, and Mocquereau's various editions of the Liber Usualis (1903+1908) had already sold hundreds of thousands of copies. For the record, Justine Ward could barely get Gajard (Mocquereau's successor) to respond in a timely fashion to her letters…when he responded at all.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    SkirpR, if people are generous, wise and understanding, the process of consensus-building becomes possible and is certainly a valid and useful method in regards to things like chant. (I can't help but think, however, that the method you outlined above isn't recommended in discussions of dogma and moral absolutes.)
    Thanked by 1SkirpR

• I find the older Solesmes method is most useful to those directors starting out with some musical savvy, as a starting point and a grounding in free rhythm. That was the intended purpose, after all, was it not? The goal at that time was to reintroduce the chant on a wide scale and with a method that was supposed to be accessible to all variety of amateur directors and singers- a way forward that was not tied to mensuralism. I thank those involved with all that work, as I think their efforts went a long way toward accomplishing that goal.

The main problem is getting rigid with the method, not allowing authentic advances in scholarship (never the Catholic way!) and losing musicality by being needlessly narrow with a very fluid art form. Some people begin to be afraid that to depart from the older method is to invite chaos into the chant. Not so, not necessarily.

Perhaps some confusion has to do with cultures that are more and less concerned with rules. French culture is very different than our own in how the French often consider methodology. And certainly the language is very different, which means a chasm between French and English sensibilities as to how to sing text.

Speaking for myself, I am glad to have been acquainted with the method through Scott Turkington and Fr. Skeris when I first started studying chant. I never took the rules as absolutes, as that went against my training and intuition as a degreed musician. Jeffrey Morse, Wilko Browers, and Bill Mahrt confirmed that intuition, and I am so grateful to them. Then I was very glad to study semiology on a graduate level with Ed Schaefer.

Twelve years after coming into contact with the older method, I am content to be learning more and fine-tuning ways to communicate with singers and students. When it comes to score prep, I find the ictus to be most valuable in Introits, sometimes Communions, when I notice it at all. In the case of the ordinaries, I find the ictus to be most often poorly placed and don't match it to my conducting. With melismatic passages, the ancient notation included in the Triplex simply gives much, much more information, and I go straight to that for interpretation of the line.

All this to say- can someone study both the older method and the triplex, and appreciate the limits and contributions of both? Most certainly.
  • "Most people continue this with something along the lines of: "It's a different style, and we don't want it to sound like modern music, so we must use different techniques."

I don't buy it either.

Chant can be conducted in modern style and also in the old chant style of conducting, yes.

Modern style music cannot be conducted by conducting in chant style.

However, what it takes to make chant work requires the same gestures in modern style or chant style of conducting.

People who learn to sing chant can sing chant better if they learn to conduct it in the old chant style - even if they never conduct it.

Learning to conduct chant is as easy as learning to read chant in comparison to conducting and reading modern music. It's nothing but the foundation of modern conducting - as square notes are the foundation of...
  • "When it comes to score prep, I find the ictus to be most valuable in Introits, sometimes Communions, when I notice it at all. In the case of the ordinaries, I find the ictus to be most often poorly placed and don't match it to my conducting."

Agreed.

I had the chance to take some intensive 2 hour lessons each day over a 5 day period recently with Ruth Phillips, cellist who works as modern and baroque cellist - spending time each year on the road with touring opera companies performing baroque operas night after night.

Working on Bach Suites I saw that her bowings at times had little or nothing in common with any of the bowings in the extant scores from Bach's time - bowings that do not agree even among with these early copies. (there is no original score, but one is in his wife's handwriting) It suddenly struck me that most cellists choose a score and then work to make these bowings work for them in their performance of the pieces. And these bowings may have been inserted to merely help beginners get to work on them.

But take a cellist who spends hours and hours in performance of baroque continuo work and have them turn to play the suites, you may find them doing drastically different bowings that work and make music.

So, in the same way, I see the ictus being extremely valuable as you do and believe, as you do, I think, that as a person becomes more and more confident with their work with chant, they will find places where the ictus markings conflict with what they feel are useful, and that time you leave them behind.

They are extremely valuable to the beginner and anyone who blasts them and convinces beginners that they are not important and not doing anyone any favors.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Salieri, old friend, me too with your illustrious list. And AOZ, the Turk, JMThompson, MACW (in rehearsal), Buchholz, and others this old addled can't recall. Oh, I do remember the most valuable advice and example by another controversial maestro, who, despite his dizzying pedanticism, nailed it with this advice: "Sing it the way I want it." Jeffrey Mark Ostrowski.
    Re. chironomy for CDub's wise observation- I've seen two masters of the art and practice, Jenny Donelson and Kurt Poterack, practice their art with great success (the former) and under great frustration. You cannot leave the ensemble (be it impromptu or long lived) out of the equation when evaluating chironomy's effectiveness.
    I'm a pretty damn good choral conductor. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LijdeZnqgEg

But I would never (now) use SOP choral directing to facillitate chant. As I'm disinclined towards a serious study of chironomy at my age, I let my knowledge of diction, phrasing, natural elocution et al influence my circles and swirls. My folks get me. Ostrowski wins!
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    At the risk of continuing this conversation any longer, I just want to clarify two things:

But I would never (now) use SOP choral directing to facillitate chant. As I'm disinclined towards a serious study of chironomy at my age, I let my knowledge of diction, phrasing, natural elocution et al influence my circles and swirls.

I don't mean that one should use patterns, etc., nor do I mean to take issue with the basic shape of the gestures given to arsis and thesis. Although I do believe those shapes need not always be as rigidly applied as in the chironomy books, and other shapes can convey the same ideas - as long as one understands gaining and relaxing energy - which, luckily for me, was a principle built into all my initial conducting training. I merely questioned the placement of the printed ictus in the music.

They are extremely valuable to the beginner and anyone who blasts them and convinces beginners that they are not important and not doing anyone any favors.

Again, I feel I should clarify that nearly ALL conducted music, metered or unmetered, comes down to groups of twos and threes. Try conducting very rhythmic, crazy mixed, assymetric meter works of the 20th century - twos and threes. It was no surprise to me as I was becoming familiar with chant that the same principle applied. Again, I just question the specific division of twos and threes that is always given by the printed ictus.

If someone is new to chant, I agree that starting with what's printed there may be best - but as one gains experience, questioning the printed ictus should not be discouraged. I, personally, might go so far as to encourage it (as I have in this thread).
  • To disprove the need for the ictus or rather groups of 2's and 3's, I would need to see a series of oxytones beautifully set to a syllabic chant that could maintain the individual accents. So often when a series of accented syllables (His Right Hand, "on EARTH, PEACE") appear they are set to complex neumes - a clivis , a pes. This creates space between the accents and also ties the ictus to the word accent ( though it should be independent). It also defers to the value of the group rather than the rapid fire of the text. I think Proulx Missa Simplex's passage " at the right hand of the Father" accomplishes this using pitch to maintain the series accented values rather than expanding the rhythm.
    With the salicus and oriscus: for me it is a warning that we are moving to different pitch that will become the dominant within the incise. It is a warning that an important structure pitch (the one marked the vertical episema) should release its dominance, avoid gravitating toward it. I really don't care how it is performed. Holding the first note creates an inertia but still reveals that there is energy building in the musical rhetoric.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    To disprove the need for the ictus or rather groups of 2's and 3's, I would need to see a series of oxytones beautifully set to a syllabic chant that could maintain the individual accents.

Well, that's my point. There will always be a need for groupings of 2's and 3's - but their location should not be at all times absolute, and could be open to quite a bit of interpretation.

Regarding two accented syllables found back-to-back, in music, {WARNING: bucking-the-trend personal opinion coming!] I believe one will always need to be greater than the other. Even when people speak naturally (when they're unaware they're being listened to), it seems to me they will often choose one of the two back-to-back-accents over the other. This choice seems based on textual context, and in music on melodic/musical context, but it may be a bit subjective. Nevertheless I maintain it is absolutely necessary in order to maintain some beauty in the composition or performance to somehow choose one. While respecting the text is important in all song, and particularly so in chant, a fundamental principle of music is gathering energy (i.e. going somewhere, arsis, etc.) or relaxing energy (i.e. coming from somewhere, thesis, etc.) (unless it is a composition purposely trying to be static, e.g. minimalists).

(I'm tempted to launch into why I believe Latin psalmtones work perfectly well in English, but I won't put everyone through it again! If you're curious search the old threads.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is - I don't see why people have a problem when they encounter two accented syllables in a row, why everyone brings that up as a huge problem, and why it is so bothersome, when often the music or textual context will take care of it. It seems as if people are reacting scrupulously, "Well how do we know which word is supposed to be more important? Aren't all accented syllables are created equal?" No, they're not. This is art folks. If the music doesn't lead you to which is more important, a good performer will decide - whether he or she realizes it or not. But how do you decide? Go out and expose yourself to as much beauty in language and music as you can and then feel free enough to do whatever feels right.
  • ghmus7
    Lament for the Death of the Ictus

Oh, dear departed ictus!
    How I have loved thee too late.
    Sad those who upon you heap abuse
    And those who grind quilismas in hate!

If only they knew as I do,
    Your measured and calming tread,
    Your pulse so old yet new,
    Not heard yet, never dead.

Wail o chanters
    Lament ye cantors
    No voice of the ictus is heard
    Geese now roam not swans
    And past memories of rhythms so fond!
  • francis
    Just dug this up and read the entire thread... again... how are you all doing now?
    Thanked by 1WGS
  • francis
    I will never forget the wonderful experience I had in Richmond Virginia as a DM at a parish where The entire congregation sang four masses in full voice (400+ people) from the kyriale, With the accompaniment from the NOH Every Sunday on the Pasi no. V (employing the principal 8’ and ped 16.) ...Thought I had died and gone to heaven. I would’ve stayed but couldn’t afford to move my family 2000 miles (as it was a “test” case post that lasted about a year). The deciding factor was that they were backing out of the TLM and I did not want to be party to that. Tears.

The pastor, who I greatly respect, Had the impossible job Of transitioning the VO toward an sacralized NO. I composed the psalm each week, And I had a student savant Who would play after mass. He was the most precious soul. If memory serves me right, he was playing the NOH Missa de Angelis Which I printed out and gave to him and he learned it on his piano at home.

I had four incredible cantors who sang the Latin Introit Which was followed by a hymn. The entire congregation sang full voice.

I taught a small Children’s Schola the propers for high feasts who joined the adult choir for those liturgies.

Probably one of the top highlights of my career.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • dad29
    "Putting all those notes on "and" - I must be stupid... except that in the Latin original "et" gets the same notes."

Except for the real possibility that the composer wanted to emphasize AND. You've probably observed that the important words get lots of notes in Chant. That would explain this.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • As if there were actually an ictus to have died!
    Fr Columba (and Cardine) would have great fun with this.
  • Ah, if Mocquereau had a nickle for every time dots and ictuses had been declared dead...
  • And now we're told that Cardine and his theories are woefully out of date as well, and that we all must join the latest school of thought or be shunned.

The moment we place "interpretation" into the realm of dogmatic and arbitrary absolutes, rather than creative spontaneity, we forget that we are actually artists. This is as relevant for the French organ school's style sevère as it is for the Solesmes method and all those coming after that would claim to abhor it but actually adopt the same idea of interpretation.
  • I note that they have not removed them from reprintings of the Gradual including in works that have revisions elsewhere, like the Missel grégorien.
  • dad29
    >The moment we place "interpretation" into the realm of dogmatic and arbitrary absolutes, rather than creative spontaneity, we forget that we are actually artists.<<br />
    (For some reason, the shortcut-HTML's don't work)

That is precisely what Roger Wagner meant when he advised about Chant: "Sing it as though it were MUSIC!"
  • "I note that they have not removed them from reprintings of the Gradual including in works that have revisions elsewhere, like the Missel grégorien."

But see also Antiphonale Romanum 1 and II. They are not used there.
  • I understand that but Solesmes has not come anywhere close to taking the project to its full conclusion since the Mass propers form the bulk of the repertoire for most singers; they have essentially no interest (at least in part due to the work involved) and I also note that Praglia kept dots and such, even though their antiphonal postdates the new Solesmes style. But at some point, if Solesmes is really interested in killing the dot and the ictus outside of its own monastery, it has to reprint the Graduale Romanum even if no changes are made otherwise to the melody.

What the daughter houses are doing, thankfully, is not killing the dot and the ictus but giving a more definitive treatment of the episema, which is the chief problem for most choirs; they don't sufficiently distinguish between it and the dot.

(uh, I apparently forgot to turn off bolding as the automatic tags are now failing me on macOS Safari. Fixed.)
    Thanked by 3tomjaw WGS MarkB

• why not mensuralism/proportionalism instead of old solesmes or new solesmes? : for those interested in mensuralism in Gregorian chant there is a site https://www.cantatorium.com/ with proportional values transcriptions (wich uses the episema and punctum with other sense than Old Solesmes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tx86n1zta7d2ufc/Table of Neumes.pdf?dl=0). In the youtube there is singing examples of the site:

https://youtu.be/7BZJ4zzJplk

https://youtu.be/2HMVpGR2ISI

It's possible to sing with a regular two beat measure, easy to a conductor.
    Thanked by 1FSSPmusic
  • My apologies in advance—there seems to be a website glitch at the moment and I can't get any formatting, only plain text. I will reformat when possible and remove this notice :)

"a more definitive treatment of the episema, which is the chief problem for most choirs; they don't sufficiently distinguish between it and the dot."

J. Robert Carroll claimed that the horizontal episema was used in the Solesmes editions to reproduce the authentic rhythmic markings of the ancient manuscripts, the punctum mora (augmentation dot) being used for editorial markings. Dom Gregory Murray, on the other hand, claimed that "the purely editorial signs are indistinguishable in appearance from those which represent indications given in the manuscripts.” I will present only one example and let you determine for yourself which assessment is right. On the seventh note, where is either a franculus or an episema for a syllable set to a single note to be found in Hartker?

There was a recent discussion here about how some of the main proponents of the Solesmes method disregard some of the horizontal episemata of the Solesmes editions:
    https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/20159/episema-over-several-notes-in-the-solesmes-method

So, at some places the horizontal episema is ignored, elsewhere it indicates a slight lengthening of several notes, a more notable lengthening of a single note, or actual doubling of one or two notes at the end of a phrase. What do you recommend as a more definitive treatment?
    2008 x 2048 - 443K
  • I'm aware of the earlier discussion, to which I contributed, and I don't think that they disregard the episemata at all. There's still a difference even in the much-lighter interpretation of Fontgombault which serves as the basis of the Laus in ecclesia recordings, but in any case "treating all notes equally in every case" is thoroughly dismissed by Triors, Fontgombault, and the Schola Saint-Grégoire in the event that choirs had previously thought that this was the case. I don't think that you have to agree with me or Fontgombault etc. or use the Solesmes method, but I do think that, in order to dunk on it, you've provided a grossly unfair reading of my comment(s) and have entirely mischaracterized the discussion.

Besides, if you're not interested in the Solesmes method, then that's fine, but for those of us who are, the treatment is definitive.

(NB: you can use the HTLM tags to format in lieu of them being provided automatically by the comment box.)

but, in any case, the point stands that Praglia didn't ditch the markings, and Solesmes needs to do so, but hasn't, which is a huge problem if they really do want to move on.
  • "There's still a difference even in the much-lighter interpretation"

As with the ictus, is it fair to say that the difference may be more in the mind than in the execution?
  • You can hear the difference by listening to any number of recent recordings from Triors and Fontgombault.
  • Could you share a specific example please? I don't hear the episema in the recordings posted in the previous thread except for the first note of the neume.
  • Well, that's the point, isn't it, at least when it comes to, e.g. the podatus and some examples of the torculus, and I think I made that point ad nauseam in the last thread.
  • So, according to this iteration of the Solesmes method, the horizontal episema sometimes represents a rhythmic nuance so delicate and imperceptible that it cannot be transcribed, is that accurate? I would write long-short-short for what I hear in those recordings, wouldn't you?
  • I don't understand what I'm accused of mischaracterizing.
  • Here's what I hear. It's hard for me to imagine that a tenth-century scribe would have written three uncini to notate what's being sung.
    574 x 903 - 49K
  • With all due respect, you should pose your questions to any number of far more qualified people, from Scott Turkington to Fr Bachmann of Clear Creek, so that your confusion may be cleared up, but I'll say this: I think trying to summarize my comments (that I thought were clear) and which I wrote out at length earlier (and which are already merely a summary of others' writings), and what others have wrote in the linked thread, in the form of a question is not particularly polite.

In any case, finding that the musical notation is infelicitous is not the same as the Triors-Fontgombault-Clear Creek and Schola Saint-Grégoire explanation not being definitive and clear (which I think it is, but of course you're free to disagree, though why bother if you're ignoring the signs in the first place).
  • You wrote, "You can hear the difference by listening to any number of recent recordings from Triors and Fontgombault." I took "hear the difference" to mean the difference between a note marked with an episema versus a plain note. Then when I said I don't hear it, you said that was the point. Again, I don't understand what I'm accused of mischaracterizing. I asked, politely, for a specific example and you refused to offer one, merely claiming you had already made your point.