Music for the Pope's visit in New York
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Some strong material here, some unusual music here, some regrettable music here. All told, however, it looks like a great leap in the right direction.

Exclusive: Music for N.Y.'s Papal Liturgies

Dr. Jennifer Pascual, director of music at St. Patrick's Cathedral, is no stranger to providing music for the Pope. During Pope John Paul II's 1995 Mass in Central Park, Pascual was a member of the choir that sang for the Pope. This time around she has a much larger responsibility. She's overseeing all of the music for the liturgical events taking place in New York. I spoke with her this week, and she was kind enough to provide a list of the music being performed at the various events, and the performers taking part in the events. Here is that complete list, which has not appeared anywhere else publicly as of yet.

St. Joseph, Yorkville – Ecumenical Service: April 18, 2008

Stephen Black, Director of Music and Organist, St. Joseph, Yorkville

Choir of St. Joseph, Yorkville

Dr. Jennifer Pascual, Director of Music and Organist, Cathedral of St. Patrick

Donald Dumler, Principal Organist, Cathedral of St. Patrick

Cathedral of Saint Patrick Choir

In dir ist Freude – J.S. Bach (organ)

Draw Us in the Spirit’s Tether – Harold Friedell (congregation and choir)
    Lobet den Herrn, alle Heiden – J.S. Bach (choir)

Lord’s Prayer (congregation)

Now Thank We All our God (congregation)

Allegro assai vivace from Sonata No. 1 in F minor – Felix Mendelssohn (organ)

St. Patrick Cathedral – Celebration of the Eucharist: April 19, 2008

Dr. Jennifer Pascual, Director of Music and Organist, Cathedral of St. Patrick

Donald Dumler, Principal Organist, Cathedral of St. Patrick

Cathedral of Saint Patrick Choir and Orchestra

Drew Santini, Cantor

Sr. Maria Emmanuel, S.V., Psalmist

Entrance of the Holy Father:

Christus Vincit – arr. Nicolai Montani, orch. Dr. Peter Latona

Music for Mass:

O God, Beyond All Praising – arr. Deborah Jamini

Ecce Sacerdos Magnus – Johann Singenberger, arr. Deborah Jamini

Kyrie - Missa de Angelis

Gloria from Messe in C, Op.169 – Josef Rheinberger

Psalm – Dr. Jennifer Pascual

Alleluia (O filii et filiae) – arr. Wm. Glenn Osborne

Trilingual Intercessions – Michael Hay, orch. Wm. Glenn Osborne

Ave Maria – Franz Biebl

Sanctus – Missa de Angelis

Christ Has Died/ Amen – Danish Mass, orch. Wm. Glenn Osborne

Agnus Dei from Messe in C, Op.169 – Josef Rheinberger

(TBD) Salvatore Licitra, Tenor, Metropolitan Opera

Ego Sum Panis Vivus – Giovanni Pierluigi Palestrina

O Sacrum Convivium – Dom Lorenzo Perosi

Ave Verum- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I am the Bread of Life/ Yo Soy el Pan de Vida – Suzanne Toolan, SM, orch. Johnnie Carl

Holy God, We Praise Thy Name – arr. Bruce Saylor

Hallelujah from The Mount of Olives – Ludwig van Beethoven

St. Joseph’s Seminary – Meeting with Young People Having Disabilities: April 19, 2008

Daniel Brondel, Director of Music and Organist, Cathedral of St. Patrick Young Singers

Cathedral of Patrick Young Singers

New York Archdiocesan Deaf Choir

Christus resurgentis – François Couperin (choir)

Take Lord, Receive – John Foley, S.J. (choirs and congregation)

Fugue in D, BWV 532 – J.S. Bach (organ)

St. Joseph’s Seminary – Meeting with Youth and Seminarians – April 19, 2008

Communion and Liberation, Christopher Vath, Director of Music

Richard Marrano, Organist

Christi Chiapetti, Cantor

Teng Fu, Pianist

America the Beautiful – Samuel A. Ward

Pan de Vida – Bob Hurd

Jesus, Remember Me – Jacques Berthier

One Bread, One Body – John Foley, S. J.

Holy God, We Praise Thy Name – Traditional

Ave Maria – Franz Schubert, Kelly Clarkson, American Idol Winner 2002

City of God – Daniel Schutte

Yankee Stadium – Celebration of the Eucharist: April 20, 2008

Dr. Jennifer Pascual, Director of Music/ Mass Conductor

New York Archdiocesan Festival Chorale

Cathedral of St. Patrick Choir

Ulster County Vicariate Choir, Michael Sweeney, Director of Music

Donald Dumler, Organist

John Des Marias, Cantor

Joe Simmons, Psalmist

Entrance of concelebrants:

Symphony No. 9 in D minor – Ludwig van Beethoven

I. Allegro ma non troppo, un poco maestoso

II. Molto vivace

Entrance of the Holy Father:

Hymnus Pontificius – Charles Gounod, arr. Alberico Vitalini

Dixit from Vesperae Solennes de Confessore – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Music for Mass:

Jesus is Risen/ Cristo Jesús Resucitó – arr. John Rutter

Tu es Petrus – Dom Lorenzo Perosi

Kyrie – from Litany of the Saints, adapt. Richard Proulx

Gloria from Missa O Magnum Mysterium – Tomás Luis da Victoria

Psalm – Dr. Jennifer Pascual

Alleluia (VICTORY) arr. Wm. Glenn Osborne

Credo III

Trilingual Intercessions – Michael Hay, orch. Wm. Glenn Osborne

How Lovely is thy Dwelling Place – Johannes Brahms

Sanctus from German Mass – Franz Schubert, adapt. Richard Proulx

Christ Has Died/ Amen - Franz Schubert, adapt. Richard Proulx

Agnus Dei from Missa O Magnum Mysterium – Tomás Luis da Victoria

Panis Angelicus – Cesár Franck, Marcello Giordani, Tenor, Metropolitan Opera

Sicut Cervus – Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina

Ave Verum – Alexandre Guilmant, orch. Deborah Jamini

Amén. El Cuerpo de Cristo - John Schiavonne, orch. Carl MaultsBy

Let Us Break Bread Together – arr. Carl MaultsBy

This is the Feast – Richard Hillert, arr. Richard Kidd

Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee/ Jubilosos te Adoramos – from Hymn to Joy Fantasy – Bruce Saylor

Symphony No. 9 in D minor – Ludwig van Beethoven

IV. Presto
  • Very interesting....covering the waterfront, almost all over the map, save for something from Africa or Asia like Missa Luba....
    There's, to me, an eyebrow raiser with stringing the Franck, Schiavone's worthy piece, and Hillert's classic with the text of "let us break BREAD together." Presuming that's all happening as Communion processionals.
  • GavinGavin
    Is it bad that I look at this list and roll my eyes? Some of this is stuff I'd NEVER do: City of God, that pagan humanist symphony by Beethoven...

Still, looks interesting to say the least. Lots of good stuff, and I'm impressed to see Hillert. I really hope videos of all of this wind up on YouTube without that idiot on EWTN talking over the music!
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Dr. Mahrt just pointed out to me that there is not a single Gregorian proper.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice this. But that's why he is paid the big bucks!

(CMAA remains all volunteer, btw)
  • mjballoumjballou
    Definitely all over the map - some things I like, some things I can't stand, and lots of things I expected. But Dr. Mahrt is right. Couldn't there at least be an introit? Looking at the selections, there seems to be a predeliction for the familiar and the colossal. If chant crossed anyone's mind, they probably decided it wouldn't be loud enough.

Well, we'll just have to do better next time. But this music is lots better than the last papal visit I remember.
  • francis
    Yes, MJ... I was sitting in Oriole Stadium when JPII visited there to celebrate the Mass a few years back, and they ushered him into the Stadium to the singing of Boyz to Men! Gavin, don't feel bad. My eyes AND my jaw were both rolling.
  • Jan
    R/T Dr. Marht's comment (no gregorian chant propers), it looks like another case of 'active participation-itis'.
  • Jan
    .....(cont'd) ...but by so many guest artists!
  • IanWIanW
    It seems to be more about performance, and balancing the interests of different musicians, than a unified approach to music in the service of the liturgy. Pass the Sauvignon Blanc (sorry - wrong thread).
  • GavinGavin
    And I do feel bad about taking an uncharitable stance towards so many well-meaning musicians' offerings at the liturgy. However, as I've said, this is exactly the kind of thing I have actually REFUSED to do at even children's Masses! I always wonder who picks this stuff, specifically why not me (besides the fact that I'm an uneducated 22 year old in the middle of nowhere) when I could do SO much better.

And I'm glad to see 80% of this list. Pallestrina at a large-scale Mass? Boo-yah. I'll drink some Weizen to that! It's that 20% that makes me reach for the rotgut whiskey :P Still, how wonderful that so many people will hear the good music!

I do hate getting cranky over the tiny things that aren't perfect, but when the pope's visiting why can't we have the best music of the Roman tradition and American repertory? Why do we have to include "City of God"?
  • Jevoro
    I'm glad to see that my look at this program did agree with your famous Doktor's one: No gregorian chant besides some "de angelis". Joseph Samson would say: du grégorien pas très autentique.
    But from visit to visit, thinks may improve in America too...
  • This thought took root in my mind early today that takes Prof. Mahrt's concerns even further. A providential and pivotal moment has been squandered by whatever powers that be that "programmed" these liturgies. Namely, that they do not simply require programming in the first place, particularly the Masses. We have the best resources chorally in this country, excellent leadership as witnessed by Drs. Pasqual and Latona and many, many others (The Gonzaga University Schola also comes to mind) and yet, we cannot seem to even advance the notion of just one of these liturgies rendered both as pre- and post-conciliar documents prescribe, but out of respect and deference, while in his very presence, for the one bishop who has repeatedly and eloquently articulated the why's and wherefore's of worship in the Roman Rite! The hubris of TPTB is astonishing in that regard.
    Having experienced a small potatoes version of resistance to employing chant only in a convocation of priests this last January, I can well imagine all the external pressures brought to bear upon some of these music directors.
    But instead of seizing the opportunity to show the world that even a vernacular N.O., or Beelzebub forbid, a Latin OF, truly embodies the spirit of the liturgy and virtually defines the very essence of all things "catholic," we will have the usual gazpacho (sp?) which include warhorses such as the Mozart Ave V., the Franck, Sicut Cervus (pars prima only, thank you) and the Brahms.
    There is also, I believe, a fair measure of duplicity going on among the prevailing clergy and/or their "liturgists" hidden beneath these menus. Certain chants can be injected if they meet certain criteria. This mindset keeps chant, as a whole body of bona fide worship art, in the museum-mentality. And the "all over the map" approach, all things to all people, just as long as they LIKE IT AND US, keeps these Masses out of the sanctuary and under the stage lights. Especially when the urban, cathedral choirs have to include classical performance Mass ordinaries or pull out the stops Beethoven. (To what end or gain, I respectfully ask? The liturgy or the musical arts?)
    I do not shy from what Msgr. Mannion classified as the "eclectic" modality of programming. However, why could not American diversity be represented by a more concerted effort to be consistent in one modality in one place, and another in another down the line, including one fully vested in the Roman Rite and the paradigm of beauty that Prof. Mahrt (and others such as Paul Salamunovich) have heralded for two generations?
    If Raymond Arroyo talks over Mr. Caruso's "Panis Angelicus," that'd be just fine with me.
  • francis
    I am simply speechless.
  • Because?
  • IanWIanW
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions