Liturgical seasons for children
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Hello everyone, are there any suggestions for good materials/lesson plans to teach kids about the liturgical year, and especially how it relates to liturgical music? Lessons would be given in a Catholic school setting, to kids ages 3 to 14.
  • Ward’s Simplified Propers of the Mass (EF) for children

It is under LITERATURE on the main www.musicasacra.com page.

I like these because the children can learn them in order and then look forward to the time of year in which they get to sing them at Mass.
  • Kathy
    I would post one of those handy wall charts of the liturgical year, color bulletin boards by season, and set out symbols of the season. The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd teaches the seasons and would have suggestions for displays.

Regarding music, I would include simplified propers as Noel suggests, and the following for the first year:
    1. Marian antiphons for the seasons
    2. Office hymns for great feasts
    3. Seasonal hymns and those antiphons that have become emblematic for the seasons. Rorate ceali, Creator Alme Siderum and Veni, Veni for Advent, the hymn Puer Natus in Bethlehem and the Magnificat antiphon Hodie Christus Natus Est for Christmas, Parce Domine and Attende Domine for Lent, etc.

During the second year I would definitely add the easier propers, especially Communios with their Psalms.

The great feasts and seasons fall almost entirely within the school year. What a rewarding task you have ahead of you!
  • A high school here has a dial outside the chapel door with a pointer they move round the liturgical year.