Old Mass vs. New Mass • Novus Ordo vs. 1962 • EF vs. OF
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I would be very grateful if someone could tell me the ESSENTIAL differences between a 1962 Pontifical Mass at the Faldstool (EF) and the Novus Ordo Mass (OF).

The only real essential differences I can find are the Offertory prayers and the role of the Subdeacon (. . . which is not a major role, and even a layman can act as Subdeacon according to 1962 rubrics).

(The Ordinary Form was returning to a more "primitive" form of Mass. All our Offertory prayers are Medieval. The 1962 Offertory prayers were not part of the Mass in, e.g. XXth century.)

Prayer of the Faithful? This ancient practice was restored to the OF, but I don't think the prayers of the faithful are obligatory at all Masses (are they?). Not an essential difference.

Last Gospel? I do not believe the Last Gospel (added at Trent) is said in certain Pontifical Masses. Not an essential difference.

Sign (Kiss) of Peace? Required in a Pontifical 1962 Mass at the faldstool. Not an essential difference.

Presidential prayers said facing the people? Required in a Pontifical 1962 Mass at the faldstool. Not an essential difference.

Ministers other than the celebrant sing the readings? The same in OF and EF.

Eucharistic Prayer no. 1 ? Exactly the same in OF and EF.

Use of Latin Language? Absolutely allowed and encouraged (possibly mandated) by OF.

Three readings instead of two? Actually, certain EF Masses have three readings. If my memory serves me, Ember day Masses have three readings.

Gradual (not Resp. Psalm)? Highly encouraged practice in OF.

Alleluia Verse as Gospel Acclamation? Totally encouraged in OF.

Prayers at the Foot of the Altar? These are preparatory prayers, and could easily, EASILY be said before Mass in OF, with priest leading and server responding. The prayers at the foot of the Altar was mandated by Trent (I believe). Besides, not all EF Masses have these Prayers (e.g. Palm Sunday and certain other Masses omit them). Not an essential difference.

Communion of the Faithful under both Species? Not required in the OF.

Again, please chime in if you know any essential differences.
  • A nice and accurate comparison which should lay to rest the protests that the New Order is less a Catholic mass than the Old. It is really superior. If it were only celebrated with a universal ecclesial reverence and dignity it would be lacking in nothing. It seems to be forgotten that when the EF was the only form it was not nearly always done very prettily.
    Thanked by 2hilluminar Vilyanor
  • The essential difference is in the doctrinal and spiritual content of the prayers. "Watered down" doesn't begin to describe the impoverished prayers of the OF. See, for example, the work of Dr. Lauren Pristas:

http://faculty.caldwell.edu/lpristas/novaetveteraweb.pdf

"First, the vocabulary of submission or subjection, whether of the divine Son to human parents or of human beings to God, has been completely eliminated from the whole corpus of Sunday and Holy Day collects ..."

"Except for what is implicit in the act of praying itself, there are only two agents in the 1962 prayers. On the one side, the divine persons who bend ear to prayers, rouse, come, illumine, succor, protect, deliver, purify and speed; and, on the other side, our sins and the dangers that attach to them which both threaten and impede. We are situated between Christ who saves and the perils from which we need saving. The dangers named are interior to us: our sins, darkness, and impurity. The theology of grace at work in the aggregate of 1962 Advent Sunday collects is manifest most clearly, perhaps, in the collect of the second Sunday. We ask God to rouse our hearts to prepare the way for his Son, implying that unless he rouses us we will not be able to prepare for the Son. But unless we prepare the Son’s way, our minds will not be made pure through his coming; and unless they are made pure through him we will not be able to serve God. Everything pertinent to salvation comes forth from God, catches us up and transforms us, and then returns us to himself with our own human willingness fully engaged.

The picture painted by the verbs in the 1970 collects is quite different. It is not simply that the imperatives are far fewer (three) and weaker (grant and pour out); but that the human subjects, however they are named (variously the faithful, we, your people) are far more active; indeed, they are the subject of the five active infinitives. In one collect God is described as seeing their activity (they are faithfully awaiting), and in others he is asked to make their activity fruitful: to grant that they may inherit the kingdom, be made partakers of Christ through training in heavenly wisdom, to attain the joys of salvation, to celebrate these joys with solemn prayers and ready rejoicing. Moreover, the motion verbs of the two sets describe exactly opposite movements: in the 1962 collect Christ comes to meet us; in the 1970 collect we go to meet Christ, arrive, are brought to, and so forth. In the 1970 set, Christ is described as coming only in the collect of the first Sunday.
    A second difference is that the 1970 collects name no overwhelming obstacles. In contrast to the 1962 collect in which we ask God to rouse our hearts in order that we may prepare for the coming of his Son, in the 1970 collects we are twice described as already hastening to meet him and once as faithfully awaiting the feast of his birth. The only suggestion in the 1970 collects that there are things that could cause us to stumble is the prayer that God let no works of earthly deed impede us as we hasten - where the works can be understood as either our own or those of others. In other words, the collect does not insist upon the existence of interior impediments.

In fact, the 1970 prayers contain no reference to sin or its dangers; to darkness or impurity of mind; to human weakness or need for mercy, forgiveness, protection, deliverance, purification; nor to the fact that any or all of us require a divine jump start to begin preparations for Christ’s coming. Also, the idea that we must undergo a transformation in order to enter heaven is intimated only by the word eruditio, instruction or training, in the collect of the second Sunday.

A third difference is that those who pray the 1970 collects do not seek divine assistance to survive perils or to begin to do good things. Indeed they express no need for such helps. Rather they ask to enter heaven at the last. In contrast, those who pray the 1962 collects do not explicitly seek heaven, but demand - the imperative verbs - immediate and personal daily help on the way. In these three differences we come to something very delicate. Put simply the Catholic faith holds that every good deed which advances us toward salvation depends upon divine grace. This doctrine is formally defined and is not susceptible to modification that would reverse its import. Every nuance of the 1962 Advent collects expresses this Catholic doctrine of grace unambiguously in the somewhat subtle, non-expository manner proper to orations. While the 1970 Advent collects do not explicitly contradict the Catholic teaching on grace, they neither articulate it nor, more worrisomely, seem to assume it. The delicate bit is how to sum this up fairly for while the 1970 collects may not legitimately be understood or interpreted in a way that is inconsistent with Catholic truth, they are susceptible to being misunderstand by those who are inadequately schooled in Catholic truth."

There is much, much more at Dr. Pristas' website here: http://faculty.caldwell.edu/lpristas/
  • FYI - the above quote pertains to the collects of Advent, the objects of the linked study.
  • The differences in rubrics is something I hear bishops and priests talking about often, but I don't have the competence to discuss it at length.

On paper, we CMAA musicians know quite well that the differences can seem minimal. That is not how most people experience Catholic litugy, however. The sign of peace and the prayers of the faithful are good examples of how minor differences on paper are often major in experience. The two forms don't have to be so different, but they are presented as such. Some remark that it seems like two different religions. Ouch. We must face this, not that most people here don't realize that.

The essential weakness of the OF, IMO, is the sea of options. Any hope for simplicity has become burdensome, and the easiest options are most often chosen as a result. The neglect of the propers might be the most familiar evidence of this problem to us. What average layperson (who does not attend the EF) even knows that the propers exist?

Eliminating the Offertory prayers is a loss, considering the emphasis on sacrifice, unworthiness, and the Trinity. It's no coincidence that Catholic culture at large now has a greatly minimized understanding in those three areas. I pray that the pre-conciliar Offertory prayers will be restored, regardless of their later origins.

If we were to throw away things after the patristic age, many of the great prefaces, sequences, chant hymns, and possibly Gregorian propers would be gone.

I still believe in the reform of the reform, and work to make it happen. But in the current climate, even in a beautifully celebrated OF mass, I conclude we have essentially lost more than we have gained. On good authority, I have heard rumors of a new missal, which woul bring back things like the Offertory prayers and shore up excessive options, as well as reconcile the calendars. Though it would be years away, I pray for that day.
  • Long post above, can you tell how much I reflect on and pray about this topic of comparison and contrast between forms? :)

And I know you asked for essential differences, Jeff. I think I see your point.
    But, considering the elephant in the room, I might argue that the essence of the each form, and essential differences of the two are not limited to rubrics and first options or encouraged preferences.
  • Chrism
    Jeff,

I assume from your post that you do not normally attend the EF. For musicians, the changes from the 1962 Graduale to the 1974 Graduale are the least striking. We even get additional chants (e.g., Laus tibi). But then we almost never experience a fully Sung Mass, nor are we ever allowed to sing the full Propers from the Graduale.

But the entire order of Mass also has the following striking changes:

• Changes in the Ordinary text - almost exclusively reductions, the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar, removing the Minor Absolutions, reduction in private prayers for example after ascending the altar, the Offertory prayers you mentioned, the Prayers Before the Priest's Communion, the Prayers of Ablution, the elimination of the triple Domine, Non Sum Dignus, the Last Gospel you mentioned, the Leonine Prayers retained in most places today where the EF is said with Vatican permission, changes to the text of the Communion Rite, minor changes to the Canon.
    • Optional changes in the Ordinary text - the Penitential Rite, the Agnus Dei (!), Prayers of the Faithful, etc.
    • Changes in the rubrics of Mass - replacement of double genuflections with single, replacement of genuflections with bows--which are not even "profound" bows from the waist but often merely nods, removal of many signs of the cross over the gifts, mandatory ablution with wine, fingers together from the consecration, form of the Sign of Peace.
    • Changes in the vestments - particularly for servers, and some vestments now said to be optional for clergy as well.
    • Changes in the normal mode of reception of Communion - according to local Indult in most places; customary non-use of the patina to the point that most parishes don't own them.
    • Changes in architectural norms - location of altars, missing altar rails, etc. - saying Mass facing the people, not from a faldstool but from a presidential throne, is not objectively an incentive to impiety, but wicked Catholic laymen and priests have by their other habitual infidelities to liturgical norms turned it into such a priest-worshipping session that the women will complain if the priest's eyes are focused on the Host instead of on them.
    • Changes in the canon law - the old canons regarding the person of lectors, acolytes and Communion ministers remain in use at the EF, and this seems to be the intent of the legislator, regardless of the theories of some canonists.
    • Inaccurate English translations - this speaks for itself, and will not be entirely fixed by the revisions coming next Fall.
    • Changes in the Propers - especially the readings, the 3-year cycle, elimination of "tough" lessons
    • Arbitrary changes in the Sanctoral calendar

Combined with the above changes are the differences in the Office. Oh, and widespread modernist theology.
  • Chrism
    the ESSENTIAL differences

And I think the problem here is that YOU have decided what YOU THINK is "essential", and what YOU THINK is not.

(It's a bit like saying, what's the essential difference between my mother and your mother. They both have all the essential parts for motherhood, right? But I'm sure we both would agree, they are essentially different.)

I am unable as a Catholic to say that any Mass said with fidelity to any approved Catholic rite is an incentive to impiety. Anyone who does this commits heresy.

But to say that the two Forms have no "essential" differences is an obvious falsehood. And the Holy Father has recognized that the two Forms are essentially different: "it has clearly been demonstrated that young persons too have discovered this liturgical form, felt its attraction and found in it a form of encounter with the Mystery of the Most Holy Eucharist, particularly suited to them" (Summorum Pontificum).

Edit June 2014

Yikes. What I wrote four years ago is very, very problematic. The one essence of the Mass in whatever form or rite is entirely Christ in the Holy Eucharist, the Sacrifice of Calvary. So while we can discuss differences between the liturgies, or how they make us feel, there are no differences in essence.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

let me clarify:

Assuming that the OF is said in Latin, that clerics chant the readings, that Mass is said ad orientem, that Eucharistic prayer no. 1 is chosen, ETC.

Assuming all these things did I miss any essential differences?

I skimmed through the above, and I did not find a single one. (Again, I am very curious if I am missing anything)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    OOPS!! I think I just found one!

I forgot that the Canon is supposed to be said aloud in the OF. That is a major difference.

Then, too, the Celebrant is required to quietly pray the prayers at the altar, as well.

So, here's what I have so far:

What are the major differences between a 1962 Pontifical Sung Mass at the faldstool and the OF Mass?

(assuming that the OF Mass is said in Latin, ad orientem, choosing Eucharistic Prayer no. 1, a cleric sings the readings, Communion is only given under one Species, etc. etc. etc.)

1. Role of the Subdeacon.

2. Priest is required to say all prayers, even when choir sings them (Gloria, Credo, etc.)

3. Canon is not allowed in OF to be said quietly (although there are certain folks who question this, including Pope Benedict in Spirit of the Liturgy)

4. OF lacks Medieval Offertory prayers.

Am I missing anything major?

Celebrant is required to make many more signs of the Cross in EF. (but that is not really a major difference...right?)

Reversal of ITE MISSA EST and FINAL BLESSING. (not major)
  • Liam
    Servers no longer act as proxies for the faithful in the pews in offering the responses and making gestures (the MIssal in EF didn't really regulate what the people in the pews did or did not do, but instead regulated the clerics, servers and schola).
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Liam,

I appreciate your input. However, two things:

1. Were servers really the proxy in a dialogue Mass, which Pius XII allowed?

2. In a sung Mass (for instance, a sung Pontifical Mass at the faldstool), the congregation always makes the responses (in OF and EF), so that may not be a huge difference here, correct?

Again, I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm not 'correcting' anyone.
  • rich_enough
    The dialogue mass was a late development - and I thought you originally asked about a EF Pontifical high mass. Even though the people can make certain responses in the EF, as Liam points out, this is not spelled out in the rubrics. Also, there are responses in the OF that were said silently in the EF.

Sign of the Cross and greeting with their responses
    Confiteor (single form for priest and people in the OF)
    "Deo gratias" after the epistle and the "Laus tibi Christe" after the gospel
    Offertory prayer and "Amen" (called the "Secret" in the EF)
    (Memorial Acclamation)
    All prayers from embolism after the Pater noster to the Agnus Dei (prayer for peace moved prior to the Agnus Dei in the OF)
    Final blessing can be sung in the OF.
    (The Canon said aloud has already been mentioned.)

The "Pater noster" is sung by the priest alone in the EF (with the exception of the "sed libera nos a malo"; I believe Good Friday is the only exception).

Also in the OF:

- the Asperges (or Vidi Aquam) is not, as a rule, done prior to mass, but takes the place of the penitential rite (applicable only to Sundays).

- proper prefaces for most feasts

- the homily is required on Sundays and Holy Days

Finally, as Msgr. (now bishop) Peter J. Elliot has pointed out, the rubrics for the OF are not as exact as the EF - they seem to assume a familiarity with the EF with regard to things like incensing, where precise directions are not spelled out. So besides all the legitimate options noted above, one often sees irregular movements and arrangements in the OF due to lack of clarity in the rubrics.

Sam Schmitt
  • Jeff, the OF doesn't have Prayers at the foot of the altar. If it does, I have never seen them used. If the requirement of the Asperges at the high Mass on Sunday is in place, I have yet to see this enforced. The OF implicitly does not allow the "multi-tasking" of the EF (chant and recited prayers simultaneously). Perhaps most importantly is something that is not in the rubrics. I think that, if the OF had been introduced in a time other than the 1960s, we might not lament its state today. Finally, I know you are just asking for information and not offering judgment, but for those of us who know you, we can see you getting ready to launch into something ;-) For my part, I am just very uncomfortable with the IDEA that the Mass needed to be changed drastically from the one that Palestrina composed for in his later years. The Mass that gave courage to St Francis Xavier is fine with me, thank you.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Sam touched on one, but I'd like to expand - the Asperges.

In the EF, it was done at the High Mass on Sundays, and was restricted to Sunday's only. It was a very simple rite, and took for granted Holy Water being available. Once the sprinkling was over, the Mass could begin as usual.

In the OF, it is a complicated rite that involves blessing the water, and the salt added to the water, before each and every sprinkling. It then takes the place of everything leading up to the intonation of the Gloria.

IOW, the new MO of Liturgy seems to be that you cannot add something special without taking away something regular. ISTM that blessing water when there is already a supply of it in the building is redundant. And think about Paschaltide. We how call the "Sundays of Easter" rather than "after". Most parishes just blessed gallons of water at the Easter Vigil. But it's all gone? Come on! This lacks any sort of logic. But it's quite clearly in the OF rubrics.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    @Michael, please see my initial post, where I talk about the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar. Who told you they can be used in the OF? I've never heard that. But they could easily be said before Mass in the OF, as a perparation. Also, they are not always said at the 1962 Mass (again, see please intial post). Thanks!
    Jeff, think you are looking at the "big picture", the basic form more than the details of the texts and choices of texts.

I disagree that the reversal of the Blessing and Dismissal is "not major". In the EF, the priest, in persona Christi, announces that the Mass is ended. He then gives us "his" blessing, in persona Christi. But we (most of us) have just received Jesus in the flesh, for real, through transubstantiation. The priest's blessing is like a courtesy to his congregation now preparing to depart. It is followed by the Last Gospel, a strong reminder of totality of what we have just experienced and a reminder of what we are to take into the world with us. Then (after Low Mass) we pray specifically for the conversion of Russia (still a very grave need IMO). In the OF, the Mass is not over until the priest has imparted his blessing, making it seem just as important as Communion which we just completed.

Also, remember that there is no blessing of the people present at a Requiem Mass. It is said ONLY for the departed, singular or plural. The OF Rite of Christian Burial does not reflect this attitude at all.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thanks, Sam! I think I forgot to also mention the Memorial Acclamation.
  • Hey Jeff, you are right about your initial post. I did not say that the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar were part of the OF, just that, if they were, I've never seen them. We all know that they are not there and it would be very unusual to add them for an OF IMO. Just because they are omitted for a few Masses in EF, doesn't mean that they are not integral to it. The Masses you mention have completely different characters. I would assert objectively that these are a major difference between the two. Now does this mean that I cannot bear a properly done OF? Not at all. I do lament the loss of richness in the texts. It hardly seems a step "forward."
    Another big difference is in the Collects - the whole set of Prayers at every Mass: Opening, Offertory, and Postcommunion. In the OF only one prayer is allowed. Period. Very limited options depending solely on which Mass is being said.

In the EF, multiple prayers are not only allowed, but required at certain Masses where multiple Feasts, seasons, and occasions coincide. If any EF Mass is on the anniversary of the celebrant's Ordination, he may add Commemorations for that - at all three prayers. If it is hurricane season, and storms seem on the way, commemorations may be added to any EF Mass for that. In the OF, this is not allowed. ANY other intention the priest or congregation might have are relegated to a mere mention during the Prayers of the Faithful.

And the latter, while maybe more ancient than much of the Mass, is totally redundant if the priest uses EP I, the Roman Canon. Why? Because the whole petition thing migrated into the Canon. Everything that is petitioned in the PotP is already in the EP I. Now which "prayer" do you suppose carries more weight? I'll go with the Canon any day, and spare me the PotP!
  • Yes, especially spare us the political manifestos that pass for Prayers of the Faithful these days.
  • GavinGavin
    I think that Jeff's point is entirely missed, or I've completely misunderstood the topic. It seems to me that he is asking what rubrics prevent one from being ABLE TO celebrate an OF Mass exactly like an EF Mass, if a priest should choose to do so.

EDIT to add I find this a fascinating topic, but I'm wondering why one would WANT to celebrate an OF exactly like the EF. If you can get it that close, why not just do the EF? To save your arm the work of a few extra signs of the cross? No one wants to subdeacon? You really, really like the 3 year lectionary? I don't think people really have such a politic aversion to the EF just because it has an "extra" in the name. If someone doesn't like Mass in Latin, they won't care if you tell them "but this is the OF!"
  • I don't see that in his initial post. I hear his implicit question as "If an OF Mass celebrated properly is really not much different from an EF Mass, then why do we need the EF Mass?" I could be wrong, but that's what I hear.
  • GavinGavin
    I don't think he gave an explicit thesis. I interpreted it more as "why can't they be the same", but your reading is certainly valid also, as it's a common question. And I agree with those who have said that the OF properly celebrated is far, far different from the EF.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    My preference is for the 1962 Missal, and Pope Benedict has said this preference is entirely legitimate.

However, I often hear some pretty dumb comments about the OF, and I think these could be alleviated and mutual understanding could be arrived at through comparison of the two Rites.

In this particular thread, I am merely trying to ascertain some information. Thanks!!!!!
  • gregpgregp
    And I hate to be the picky one in the crowd, but it is "ad orientEm", not "orientAm". oriens, orientis, 3rd declension
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    fixed. (embarrassed)
  • Liam
    Another difference that derives from the prohibitions of the silent canon in the OF is that you cannot separate the Sanctus and Benedictus as was formerly done.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Liam, for what it's worth, when they did Renaissance Masses at the Vatican, the Benedictus was sung after the "Mortem Tuam" Acclamation. This was under Pope John Paul II.
  • Liam
    Jeff

Regarding your questions:

1.The permission of the dialogue Mass had not become a norm lived fully and universally. It was still a bit inchoate.

2. How effectively did the people actually make the responses at a pontifical Mass at the faldstool? Or did the servers' responses pretty much bear the load there? (I wasn't alive when that form of Mass was normative - I am a child of the interim Missal of 1965.)

My point still, I think, stands that there was a significant shift in the concepts underlying the preconciliar to postconciliar editions of Missal from the servers to the faithful in the pews. And it was a shift for which the seeds were sown in the liturgical and sacramental revolutions of Pope St Pius X.To my mind, the most significant reforms of the past 110 years was moving away from the centuries-old pattern of once-a-year communion for almost everyone who did not have a spiritual director/confessor (and those who did were likely to be relatively well off or in some form of religious community). Vatican II was a descendant of that revolution.
  • Liam
    Actually, while I was alive before the 1962 edition of the Missal, my first memories of Mass were from around 1965.
  • Greetings to all!

"The Ordinary Form was returning to a more "primitive" form of Mass." Really? It contains a lot of innovations that were not known before 1969.

"All our Offertory prayers are Medieval." True about the traditional Mass. The new prayers, in turn, have been written in the 60s. Their similarity to the table graces from Talmud invites accusations of religious syncretism. If they wanted to be 'primitive' they'd drop them altogether.

"Eucharistic Prayer no. 1 ? Exactly the same in OF and EF." Not exactly. The words of the consecration have been changed.

As for various externals, yes the Novus Ordo can be made to look and sound somewhat similar to the traditional one, that is, if the celebrant selects the 'right' options. The problem is precisely the need to select, that it is up to one's taste in the Novus Ordo.
  • Liam
    Jeff

I would not consider those examples to be indicative of how the current MIssal is intended in its instructions to be intrepreted. The Pope is free to dispense with compliance (in oh so many ways, as people have often complained), but the Missal is simply not set up that way at all. One-offs do not a rule or norm make (in Anglospheric eyes, they might, but not in Roman eyes).
  • JamJam
    "Then (after Low Mass) we pray specifically for the conversion of Russia (still a very grave need IMO)"

We're working on it.
  • MarkThompson
    As for various externals, yes the Novus Ordo can be made to look and sound somewhat similar to the traditional one, that is, if the celebrant selects the 'right' options. The problem is precisely the need to select, that it is up to one's taste in the Novus Ordo.

The more interesting question is how much the TLM could be made to look like a badly-done OF Mass, if the celebrant selected the "wrong" options based on his own tastes. Funky polyester vestments? Check (yeah, really). A bunch of hippie vernacular folk songs (maybe Gather Us In, Sing a New Church, Imagine) led by a long-haired guitar player? Check. Watered-down and/or heretical preaching? Check. Tabernacle off to the side, no altar rail, whitewashed and stripped-down sanctuary not particularly sacred in appearance? Check, check, check.

See? The problem is that it's totally up to his taste. That must be it.
  • Liam
    Indeed, there is nothing preventing a Low EF Mass with A Four-Hymn-Sandwich of, say, your four most detested contemporary hymns. In fact, were the OF abolished tomorrow, that's what you'd be more likely to see than what's happening when the EF is only experienced by communities that want it.
  • Chrism
    An EF Low Mass with a Four-Hymn Sandwich of Haugen and Haas would be a bit cringeworthy, but then you'd get to the Canon and all would fall silent, the priest's personality would happily recede, and Christ would slip into the world just like in Bethlehem. Of course the priest could find a way to botch that, but it would involve violations.
  • I think it's necessary to read this document once a year. I get sick to my stomach, but I know it's good for me. It's not about taste. It's about being double-crossed in the 60s.

Chronology of the Reform
  • 'I think that Jeff's point is entirely missed, or I've completely misunderstood the topic. It seems to me that he is asking what rubrics prevent one from being ABLE TO celebrate an OF Mass exactly like an EF Mass, if a priest should choose to do so.' I agree with your hunch, and see merit in this idea. Imagine a good priest friend is interested in celebrating a Latin Mass, but for whatever reason its not prudent or he just doesn't want to celebrate the EF. This kind of information would be perfect for such a situation, and can also help the average person understand that there need not be as much of a difference as is often encountered.

If, on the other hand, people use this line of reasoning to claim there is no real essential difference between the two forms, and both as they are *commonly* celebrated are basically the same, that's just denial. I have heard people talk like this, though I know that Jeff isn't in that camp.

In terms of concrete differences, the texts of the prayers seem the biggest examples. The absence of a subdeacon won't have the same catechetical result as the absence of the offertory prayers of the EF, as an example.

Still haven't had a second to check out Jeff Culbreath's link about the collects, etc. But the difference between OF and EF collects is indeed striking, and his point is well taken. Lex credendi... and all. These things are very important.

But a list of things Jeff O is asking for would be helpful to several priests I can think of, who can apply the information to practical situations and developments in their parishes. More and more there will be priests who want to know these things, and were simply never told, or seminarians who are still languishing in less than adequate seminaries. CMAA can help meet these challenges in liturgical formation, too.

Its really kind of fun to wonder WHY Jeff O is sniffing this out, no? What is the next project? :)
  • Yes, I have seen the TLM in bad vestments because no others were available (and no maniple available whatsoever). Nevertheless, it did not look like NO. Altar rails, tabernacle, painting of the sanctuary have changed over centuries while the Missal has remained more or less the same. When St. Maximilian Kolbe, Bl. Card. Stepinac or Ven. Bp. Sloskans celebrated Mass during their imprisonment, the ambience was much worse than in any 'aggiornamented' church, still I don't think it looked like NO.

Jeff Ostrowski asked about a Potifical Solemn Mass at the faldstool. Vernacular folk songs are not an option there. As to the Low Mass, sure. But this is not regulated by liturgical books. After all, you can abuse anything if you really, really want. We can recall the liturgical experiments by likes of P. Parsch or R. Guardini, but they were clearly abuses and not permitted options.
  • bgeorge77
    Even if one were to "opt" to celebrate the OF in "perfect" way, which is a BIG if... the EF is my grandfather's watch, the OF is a replica of my grandfather's watch. To address Jeff's question: What would be the difference between the two? The politics that would be required to pull off a really "upscale" OF.

Today, July 14th, is the feast of St Bonaventure on the EF calendar... But in the OF his feast is tomorrow. To me, it's little things like that that are just so dumbfounding. That's an isolated example of a general pattern: No respect for tradition and changing things for no discernible reason. Don't get me started on the Divine Office.

What problem was there in the EF that required the change in the Mass, Calendar and the Divine Office? Maybe a few more things could have been in the vernacular, and maybe the priest could have spoken certain things in a voice that could be heard. One could cite a few other issues perhaps... but rather than widen a door and readjust a few picture frames we dismantle the entire house and then try to rebuild it by committee?

Ignore me, I'm just a young fogey and a sinner.
  • JamJam
    July 14th is Sts. Cosmas and Damien for us (Julian calendar-users)

this stuff isn't new by any means.

(by that I mean massive discontinuous reforms and calendar changes btw)
  • bgeorge77, I hear ya on the Divine Office, but the main thing that the Vatican Council wanted was a more active engagement with the Mass by the faithful, a "clearing out" of accretions since Trent, and a (to me faulty) reclamation of the most ancient practices that had been "lost" during the Middle Ages.
  • rich_enough
    I have basically the same question as bgeorge77. I understand the "clearing out" and "reclamation" ideas in principle - what I don't understand is the rationale behind the way these were carried out: why were some ancient practices revived, others not? The ostensible result was a wholesale rebuilding of the rite, so to speak (the calendar and the lectionary come to mind). It's hard for me to see how many of the major changes have actually helped the faithful: it seems like needless dislocation. After all, the test of "no changes unless the good of the Church requires it" is written into the Constitution itself.

Why couldn't we have the goals Michael O'Connor speaks of with revisions on the order of the 1965 missal?

In retrospect, I also think it was somewhat naive to think that changing the books would necessarily change the way the rite was celebrated - or that the real problems with the liturgy were rooted in the rite itself (and hence the perceived need to change the books so drastically). Many of the same old issues - minimalism, opposition to good music, particularly chant, disengaged congregations, etc. - are still very much with us, and won't be solved by more strict adherence to the new books.

(Sorry to get off topic from the thread here . . . . )

Sam Schmitt
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    are still very much with us, and won't be solved by more strict adherence to the new books.

And, many argue, won't be solved by strict adherence to the old books, either. Or to new translations of not-quite-new-but-not-old-yet books.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    rich_enough: I agree with you......but we simply have to deal with the situation we have, right? :-D
  • rich_enough
    Good point, Adam - I didn't mean to portray a simple adherence to books as a panacea - but it would be a start.

Jeff - agreed - I happily work with both he OF and the EF.

And I realize that these questions are too big to be answered in this forum - I've just rarely hear them addressed.

Sam Schmitt
  • Aidan
    I think one of the essential differences is that of beauty, not of the parts but of the whole. Although many of the differences raised above may appear small, together they cause the OF Mass to appear contrived and artificial as opposed to the organic unity of the EF Solemn Mass. Part of it seems to be down to the way different elements and parts interact: music and silence, action and words, the roles of the ministers. To take just a couple of examples, the beauty of the priest, deacon and subdeacon gracefully moving as one across the altar, or the significance of kneeling at the words Et incarnatus est.
    Essentially, for me at least, the OF Mass is a series of events, but the EF Solemn Mass is one united action.
  • rich_enough
    Beautifully put (if I may say so), Aidan.

I suspect this is why many people are attracted to the EF, even apart from the music, or the exact nature of the changes and all the controversies, etc. The EF more clearly expresses what the Mass *is* - an action - not a "series of events."
  • Well, noble simplicity was the byword in those days. Only now are people realizing that humans need externals and mysteries to draw them in. So much praise is heaped on the first Eucharistic gatherings by some I know. We know so little about them, actually. The Mass IMO was embryonic in those days. Things were revealed in time. I am troubled that those things were swept away.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Sorry for resurrecting this five year old thread, but I recently attended my first EF, a Missa Cantata, and was looking for info on the forum regarding the same. I came across this thread and feel like I have to point out something: the major issues facing each form are not contained in the forms themselves, but rather how the people involved use or abuse them. It is quite clear that the OF could easily be very similar to the EF in many ways, however, the people celebrating it don't want it that way, and therefore choose to do things differently. I read on another thread where someone else stated that most of the options chosen in the OF are done so for the sake of expediency: optional parts are eliminated, shorter prayers are chosen, less music prescribed (hymns instead of propers, Pater Noster and Credo recited instead of sung [although I know many places where the PN is sung at the OF, just saying that's an example of one of the commonly used options for expediency]). Is isn't to say that this is the way the OF is everywhere you go, but it certainly is in my experience. Something I'd like to see more priests do is the Rite of Sprinklng at the beginning of every Mass, followed by the Kyrie. I'm no theologian but it doesn't seem proper to consider the Rite of Sprinkling as a replacement for the Penitential Rite, as if holy water by itself absolves us of our sins. That's just my two cents though. I will say that first, my experience with the OF is far greater than my experience with the EF, although my recent experience with the EF was good, and very comfortable: nothing seemed too odd or out of place, and I really can't find any fault in it. I will continue by saying second, that in my greater experience with the OF, I've seen it done well and I've seen it done poorly. At the cathedral, the priest chants almost everything, and the PN is also chanted, but by the congregation. At the small country church where I am the DM, nothing is chanted at all, except the doxology after the fraction of the host, and all of the prayers are recited. The Rite of Sprinkling is done twice per year: once at Easter Sunday, and once at Pentecost Sunday. To sum up, because this is getting lengthy: the reasons for the discrepancy in reverence within either form (because I've heard it can happen in the EF too) are due to the actions and choices of the people involved in celebrating it. Yes, the addition of options and choices in the OF allowed the possibility for the abuses, but it was ultimately the people involved that made the choices and celebrated Mass in a particular way. Not sure how many others will see it this way, but that's my take on it.