What "Contemporary" Hymns/Songs do you LIKE?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I thought this discussion would go along well with the other discussion on the ten worst.

For those of you who are working in places where the ideal still has not been realized (which is probably MOST of us), what contemporary songs do you not mind programming? Which ones do you not find it a challenge to stomach?

Personally, I enjoy Paul Inwood's "Center of My Life"; it is based on psalm 16, and the refrain is worship centered, as opposed to "me" or "us" centered: "O Lord, you are the center of my life, I will always praise you, I will always serve you, I will always keep you in my sight."

I freely program that one on my own accord, and I don't have the slightest problem with it being suitable for mass.
  • GavinGavin
    I object to the question (but not the questioner!) I like lots of contemporary hymns... "Lift High the Cross", "Come, Labor On", many tunes by Hancock, Proulx, David Hurd, Haywood... I also like the modern trend of bringing back shape-note tunes into congregational consciousness. But is that what's really being asked?

I'd propose that, to avoid tarnishing the term "contemporary", we should clarify that certain tunes are in the "folk/pop" genre. I don't think this is being too prissy about wording, but a necessary distinction of genre. And even then, I'd disagree with others over what fits in that genre. I think we can all agree "On Eagle's Wings" is in there, but I wouldn't consider "I want to walk as a child of the light" to be in that category. Certainly a guilty pleasure of mine in that category is "We are Called". I NEVER use it at Mass, but I do play through it for my own amusement. I just find it fun to play, as long as no one is around.
  • chonakchonak
    Off-hand, I'd say these two works are decent:

Haugen: "We Walk By Faith"
    Hillert: "Festival Canticle: Worthy Is Christ"

I think Inwood's "Center of My Life" could be improved with some edits to the text of the refrain:
    "O Lord, be thou the center of my life; I will always praise thee, and will always serve thee, and will always keep thee in my sight."
  • We Walk By Faith is a very good text, but Dunlap's Creek (in Worship III) is SO much better than Haugen's music!
  • JamJam
    Anything with 100% of its words straight from Scripture is good by me.
  • Maureen
    "We Walk by Faith" isn't _bad_, but one boggles at the second line:

"No gracious word we hear
    From Him who spoke as none e'er spoke"

Dude. We have this thing called the Bible. We have readings from it _every Sunday_. Words from Him we hear aplenty. You need a second draft.

It's not even dissidence. It's overstretched poetic license. Almost every Haugen and Haugen-set text is like this. Fine, fine... AAAAARGH! ...fine again. It wouldn't be so painful if I didn't think he could write. But he can; he just doesn't go for a complete lyric that makes sense.

"Center of My Life" has this weird invitation-to-nasality about its sounds. Maybe he wrote it for English choir vowels, and it's just an American thing. But it's okay if you keep an eye on it. You have to remember to breathe, also, or you are so in trouble. But yeah, I'm okay with that.

Chant Cafe suggested tons I haven't heard. Also, "Laudate Dominum", which is fine if you don't touch the English wording and sing it in Latin.

However, if "The Servant Song" is that ghastly "Will you let me be your servant?", however, I must differ pretty strongly. That is one sappy song, and it has some extremely dubious rhymes and lines. ("speak the peace you long to hear"? Well, heck, I'll speak my piece, but nobody can speak peace -- unless this is some kind of riddle like "Speak, friend, and enter.") I can hold my nose and sing it, but it needs to be pruned. (Send us editors with good taste!) Apparently, however, the Baptists sing it to "Beach Spring", which takes away vast heaps of sappiness.
  • Kathy
    From the "modern music" category, I like these very much:

John Foley's May We Praise You, O Lord
    Bernadette Farrell's Restless Is the Heart
    A LOT of John Schiavone.
    Randall DeBruyn's In Perfect Charity
    A LOT of Mary Frances Reza, especially Ustedes Sacaran Agua
  • Maureen
    I agree that "I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light" is good.

Laura Kutscher's "Mary Immaculate" is also good (as a motet for choir). But you kinda want to take the chorus with a bit more spirit and intensity than this concert video. (But Holy Angels at UD has extremely echo-y acoustics, being built of early 20th century concrete, so they had to be careful. And I think that's not really the tabernacle anymore in the old high altar behind; there's a little chapel off to the right where it is. Anyway, check out the angels painted on the wall.)
  • CharlesW
    Three of my favorites are, "You, Living Christ, Our Eyes Behold," (Palace Green); "Lift High the Cross," and "Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven," (Lauda Anima). I'm afraid that's about as "contemporary" as I get.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    "No gracious word we hear From Him who spoke as none e'er spoke"
    Dude. We have this thing called the Bible. We have readings from it _every Sunday_. Words from Him we hear aplenty. You need a second draft.

46 The ministers answered: Never did man speak like this man.
    46 Responderunt ministri : Numquam sic locutus est homo, sicut hic homo.
  • JeanL
    As far as "contemporay" music goes, I must say that I love Pendercki's Stabat Mater.
  • Maureen
    I'm not questioning "like none e'er spoke". I'm questioning that we never hear His words.

I think Haugen (or the poem writer? Is that one not by him?) was colliding phrases again. We don't hear Jesus' actual voice, but we do hear the Voice of God in Scripture, and we do hear His very words, all the time. Of all the things of which we are deprived until His Second Coming, words are not what one should seize upon. Especially since He is the Word.

Now, I admit that you don't want to get overinvolved and write something like "nor hear your voice's timbre" or "nor hear your golden Galilean-accented Aramaic tones", or so on. But "no gracious words we hear/From Him" is not the figure of speech you want to use in a theological song, in any Gospel-believing denomination. It's like saying "No gracious words we hear/From Him, but Gospels we made up./The Gnostics were right, dear."

I know that's not what the song means to say, but that is what it says. It bugs me.

Somebody say something positive... I'm a wet blanket tonight, and I apologize.
  • Bobby Bolin
    I have taken a liking to Steven Janco's "Draw Near."
  • JeanL
    Also, we must not forget Gorecki's "Totus Tuus"
  • GavinGavin
    That text is very much not by Haugen: http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w165.html I always interpreted it one of two ways: 1) we don't actually hear His words, and so have to trust the truth of the biblical record. Or 2) "gracious words" means words which are easy to accept, which "take up your cross" certainly isn't.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • G
    Haugen (or the poem writer? Is that one not by him?)

Henry Alford

I'm glad for this thread, I had been looking for suggestions for a "contemporary white list" when I first began blogging, and am always on the lookout.

Go ahead, feel free to mock my love of "Now the Silence.
    * Jean Langlais, Lord, Your Glory in Christ (Dieu, nous avons vu)
    * Englert, O Faithful Cross
    * Webbe, W. Y. Cor Jesu, Dulcis
    * Vincent, Lines Written in Her Breviary
    * Gouzes, Let All Who Thirst
    * Hurd,D Now, Lord, You Let Your Servant Go in Peace
    * Hurd,D. Christ Mighty Savior
    * Alstott, There is One Lord
    * Kenneth Smith/Neale, Come and Let Us Drink of That New River
    * Proulx, Canticle from I Peter (By Your wounds...)
    * Schalk/Vajda, Now the Silence
    And I could add most of what I have been fortunate enough to hear at at the CMAA new music reading sessions.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I like the style anyway, so I've been laying back on this thread since I didn't think it applied to me anyway.

But I've bee thinking of a few highlights that I think would serve the cross-over/bridge-building crowd...

Bob Hurd's "Holy is the Temple" collection has a few really nice pieces, particularly his chanted, sung-through Gloria with handbells. Too bad about the translation, though. "Let Us Go Rejoicing" is great for a dedication. I programmed "Your Light Will Come, Jerusalem" last week for 4th-of-July/Proper-9. On the other hand, "Cherish the Memory of Love" in that same collection is awful.

David Haas has a great setting of the Blessing of the Baptismal water, adapted from the tune of O filii et filiae. I also am especially partial to some of his psalm and canticle hymn texts he has set to folk melodies.

Taize music is nice, but I fear that it gives the impression that the point of "chant" is to fall into an Eastern meditative state where the music becomes mantra. This is a good spiritual practice in and of itself, but not appropriate for communal worship, and not a good perception of chant. A better body of literature which accomplishes what Taize music could have been is the unaccompanied, often polyphonic, music of the Iona Community.
  • gregpgregp
    Well, if Langlais is in, how about "For All the Saints" (Sine Nomine)?

And I like "In Perfect Charity" also....
  • Mike R
    I hate to resurrect a thread that's been dead for two weeks, but one contemporary song to which I've taken a relative liking is Schutte's "Glory in the Cross."
  • Bobby Bolin
    I agree, Glory in the Cross is very good, especially the Holy Thursday verses!
  • IanWIanW
    Tavener's The Lamb
  • IanWIanW
    Messiaen's O Sacrum Convivium
  • IanWIanW
    Inwood's Gathering Mass

... only joking.
  • don roy
    haas's psalm 138, the fragrance of Christ.

my problem with a lot of this stuff is that theres many times a germ of a good idea or cool melody but most of these composers dont have the skill to develop it properly (let alone provide decent part writing and accompaniment.) constant re-writes are getting very old.
  • incantuincantu
    Where Charity And Love Prevail
  • If you are referring only to the popular stuff, I prefer the original songs that most of these things copy. For example, I really like "Strange Way" by Firefall over "Remember your Love"...
  • I have a soft spot for "Supper of the Lord" (Precious body, precious blood) by Laurence Rosania. I'm generally not a fan of songs in which the singers assume the persona of God, but as long as verse 5 is sung, I don't particularly mind.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i kind of enjoy bob hurd's 'ubi caritas' (english, spanish, latin)
  • I suppose it depends what you mean.

Musically, I'm not a fan of the genre I call 'Sacro-pop' (and no, it's not an original term.

Theologically, most of these writers needed to go back to school.

To borrow a thought from Fr. Joseph Fessio, S.J., some of the stuff is interesting, but I wouldn't use it at Mass.

So, if we eliminate the sacro-pop, I have grown to appreciate Lift High the Cross, especially the missing (and un-modified) verses.

The best of the Taize is probably "Jesus, remember me", which I used years ago at the end of Palm Sunday.

I can't stomach "Where charity and love prevail" because of the last verse.

I'm working on an argument that "On eagle's wings" is actually demonically inspired, and is a case of dramatic irony. (Work with me on this one: it's a music theory argument.)

"I am the bread of life" has this personality shift in the last verse. Besides, does anyone seriously think this is suitable for Mass?

I know the point of the thread was contemporary hymns which we like, so I'm trying to weed out the unusable.

For what it intends to do, Chris Walker's "This day was made by the Lord" works.

Chris
  • marajoymarajoy
    usually when we do "Where Charity and Love Prevail," I "conveniently" schedule it during the offertory, so that we "run out of time" to do the last verse...
    :-)