Pittsburgh and Chant
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I'm writing from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, a town I'm just getting to know, and I'm wild about the place. What strikes me immediately is the remarkable range of architecture, materials, and styles used to make this place, all created over a very long period of time, all delightfully lacking in evidence of central coordination but somehow all cohering in a spontaneous order. It is huge, industrial, complicated, and beautiful in its way - highly suggestive of history with technology from all times currently in operation, an impressive demonstration of intratemporal and intergenerational life that is all working together. The unifying theme is the working together of design and function.

It might at first seem to be an implausible home for the holding of the CMAA Chant Intensive and Colloquium. The setting is not monastic. It is not a city of gardens and natural beauty so much as a city in which the work of human hands is everywhere in evidence. But in the same way that chant, with all its transcendent and divine qualities, must ultimately be rendered by human voices singing in places built and maintained by human hands, it strikes me as a perfect place for these programs to be held. 

Like Pittsburgh the city, the chant which was similarly born across many generations. No one sat down one day and wrote the chants and codified them. They grew up alongside and integral with the Roman Rite, becoming ever more embedded in the ritual through trial and error and achieving stability and universality through use and function. We look at the entire body of chant and we are in awe of its sheer size. Sometimes we are intimidated by its scope. We know that we can never get to know it in a lifetime and yet we experience joy exploring every bit of it.

It is the same with a great city. The whole can be awesome and intimidating. Yet as we explore it and get to know small pieces of it each day, our appreciation intensifies for the whole. It seems ever friendlier by the day. We can move faster through it. We get to know the tricks of transportation, and learn where to shop and where to live. Eventually, if we live there long enough, we become natives, which means that it seems truly like home. It doesn't happen all at once. No great city is immediately accessible. A great city is something that we get to know slowly, one fascination at a time.

Like a great city, chant is also something that will outlast our lifetimes. We have but a short time to participate in its living aspects, aware that we are surrounded by the ghosts of the previous generations that experienced it and knowing too that how we handle our period of domesticity will have some measure of influence on our future generations will experience it. Both chant and Pittsburgh are filled with millions upon millions of stories, each one fascinating in its own way. Our voices and lives become part of story if we take on the challenge.
  • DougS
    Be sure to check out the Cathedral of Learning.
  • rollingrj
    Mr. Tucker, once again, paints an elegant picture with his computer pixels.
  • JDE
    And don't miss the Church Brewery. Also Pasquarelli's on Mt Washington is a great place to dine.

And the Grand Concourse restaurant, from which I shamelessly stole a recipe for a blue cheese, pineapple, tomato and Vidalia onion salad. Okay, I stole it, but at least I give credit when I serve it.
  • JDE
    And Pittsburgh is a great town all around! I am so stoked to go again.
  • Donnaswan
    Wish I were there, and not mourning my job/vocation. :(
    Donna
  • Miss the Church Brew Works. Please.

The Sharp Edge (302 South St. Clair Street, http://www.sharpedgebeer.com/location.htm) is a great place for Belgian ales on tap.