simple questions on Corpus Christi introit and sequence
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    My first question concerns the Introit, "Cibavit eos." In the Gregorian Missal, I see "Ant." written at the very end, with a custos on the same pitch as the very first syllable. This seems to suggest that we're supposed to return to the antiphon, rather than proceed to the Gloria Patri as I'd normally do. (Or does this simply mean that if there was time to do more than one psalm verse, we'd go back to the antiphon, just as in the Communion chant, and then get to the G.P. at the end?) This doesn't seem to occur on any other introit, so I'm a bit confused here.

I know we've had other threads regarding the sequence-before-or-after-alleluia issue. My understanding is that traditionally, it's supposed to be after the Gregorian Alleluia (sort of as an extension of it), but since we're doing a simplified "triple Alleluia," it'd work fine before the Alleluia. So, my question is simply if it would be appropriate to add an "Amen" (sol-la-sol-fa---sol) after the final word of the sequence, pause just a moment, then go straight in to the triple Alleluia (I'm using the Mode VIII setting on p. 84 of the Parish Book of Chant).

Thanks!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Side note...

The Corpus Christi sequence will always have a special place in my heart :
    For reasons now lost to my memory, when I was in High School (and in church choir and taking Latin class) I found out that there was thing called a "Sequence" which we were supposed to sing for that Sunday. Somehow (asking around, I guess) I found out that what I needed in order to sing it was this book called the Graduale Romanum. I asked my mother to order the book for me, and I got one of the aging Servite friars to teach me how to read the four-line notation.

I practiced and practiced, and I sang "Lauda, Sion, Salvatorem" at Mass- my first Gregorian solo. I was all of 15, I think.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Adam, you must have strong lungs!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I did then.
  • dad29
    As to your questions....

Perhaps it is a misprint, or a missed editorial "fix," but the Gloria Patri is DEFINITELY sung on Corpus.

As to the Sequence, I see no reason to change the order of things, as there IS an 'alleluia' at the end of Lauda Sion, prefatory to the Gospel.
  • dvalerio
    > This seems to suggest that we're supposed to return to the antiphon

I believe the score in the Gregorian Missal was typeset taking the 1974 Graduale Romanum as its source, where this Introit antiphon has several verses (for long entrance processions); now, when several verses are sung with the Introit, the Antiphon is repeated after each of them (or after each two verses, if you prefer). (This is so in both the EF and the OF, btw.) So whenever the 1974 GR gives many verses to an Introit antiphon, there is a custos and an Ant. after each of them to remind cantors to go back to the antiphon rather than singing everything straightforward.

So that is not an indication that the Gloria Patri is to be ommited; you may say it's a typo, but I guess the reason is the one above.
  • chonakchonak
    The instructions in the front of the Graduale Romanum (p.8 of the PDF linked here, p.9 in the book) allow flexibility: you may sing two verses in a row or you may return to the antiphon after each verse, depending on the duration of the procession. The Gloria Patri can be sung, but it may be omitted.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Richard, THANK YOU for posting this, and for taking all the time to translate it and all! This is very interesting.

Just to be clear… looking at #1 and #17, is it indeed permissible to be very flexible with the structure of both the Introit and the Communion chants? So, depending on the duration of music needed at the appropriate time, the structure of the Antiphon, Verses, and Gloria Patri could be…

A-V-GP-A
    A-V-A

or even just:
    A

And for the Communion chant, I've often felt that the verses seem to go by too fast… so I'm understanding here that it's okay to do this, with two verses to each antiphon:
    A - V1 & V2 - A - V3 & V4 - A - etc., to Vx & Vy - GP - A
  • chonakchonak
    That's right: see para. #17 on page 10 of the same document, "in the same manner as the Introit chant."
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Yes, but in looking at that document again, I don't see anything (in either #1 on p.8, or #17 on p. 10) which specifically allows for two verses for every single repetition of the antiphon.

But I'm being nitpicky here. If you say it's okay, Richard, it's okay!
  • chonakchonak
    Well, yeah, this particular document doesn't talk about using two verses at a time. On the other hand, the rules for the old form of Mass support it explicitly with respect to the Communion psalm (see page xvi of the Liber Usualis). And I don't know of any reason to think that the Church wanted to ban it in the new form of Mass, so. . . .