UK experienced pro singer/conductor seeks USA position
  • richardUKrichardUK
    Professional countertenor with USA/UK nationality, Illinois native, St Olaf College music graduate

--invited guest conductor of St Cecilia Choir at St John Cantius Church, Chicago on a number of occasions.
    --8 years founder/conductor of a professional Chicago chamber choir
    --UK choral conducting study with David Hill and Andrew Lumsden, including observation of boys rehearsals.
    --Professional singer with Winchester Cathedral Choir and freelance with several London area choirs, sung on over 30 commercial recordings for Hyperion, Decca, Virgin Classics etc; international tours and broadcasts. Wide US and UK experience singing and conducting choral music from chant to modern.
    --7 years music director/ administrator for a UK early music festival
    --vocal coach/arranger in pop and classical styles at secondary school/college level
    --creative director of a young male-voiced crossover project that was invited to audition for two major record labels

Location and scenarios are very flexible.I would like to conduct a university or college choir, a professional or volunteer chamber choir, and/or a Roman Catholic traditional choir or schola, as well as continue to sing professionally. Will consider several part-time positions. Full resume and references available on request
  • Dale Fleck
    I happen to know that the position of choral director is open at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA. This would give access to Seattle.
  • richardUKrichardUK
    Thanks, am looking into this. Looks like a Doctorate is required, which isn't me.
  • DougS
    A doctoral degree is required at most colleges and universities, but sometimes they will consider "equivalent professional experience" a substitute for the degree.
  • Donnaswan
    My job is open with the added title of Director of Music and Liturgy. I do not qualify since I'm not Catholic. Never mind that I have been there almost 20 years and molded the choir into a thing of beauty often times with less than 15 people. And know the liturgy better than most Catholics. So I am 'retiring'.
    All of you on this Forum who objected to me as a Music Director being a non-Catholic can rejoice.

Donna
  • Donnaswan
    Sorry- I'm not sure whether to be bitter or happy that I will not spend 8 hours in the loft on Christmas Eve or days and days during Holy Week.

Donna
  • don roy
    donna
    thats so sad, but a great reminder to us all that great music director positions are made with the sweat and blood of people like yourself.
    i hope your retirement wont keep you from remaining active here. ive always enjoyed your insights.
    in any event Godspeed in whatever the future holds for you!
  • I vote for bitter. Or maybe happy. There are two sides to every job.

It is much better to have someone well qualified for the job who is willing to work within the structure of the denomination than to hire someone purely on their own personal beliefs. We have all had to work with second and third rate people who got jobs because of who they were rather than what their qualifications were.

She is the second Episcopalian who has dedicated years and years of work to the Roman church in this diocese to no longer be employed in the last 30 days. People that took time to learn how to do it right and did so, at the bidding of the church. Both of them took time to learn the rubrics and followed them.
  • Donnaswan
    PaixGioaAmor Swanchen@aol.com

Adn DonRoy- What happened to the young boy you were hoping to send to a music camp this summer? I wanted to contributeto a scholarship for him,if he needed it.

We are off to Tybee Island tomorrow for a week of doing absolutely nothing except what we want to do and listen to the waves. And my Grandson's elec guitar (He thinks he is going to be the next 60's guitarist LOL- actually he is really very good-plays with adults) I would rather it was almost any other instrument. Ah well
  • Richard, I find your experience thrilling and pray you find a suitable job.

If the Church upholds vocal music as the first model of sacred music (Gregorian chant and polyphony), then we really need to regain ground on supporting trained singers. In the days of the great masters, sngers were the core of the cathedral model. It makes sense to bring back the musicians who were responsible for best rendering the music.

Best wishes to you, and I will keep my ears open!
  • Donna, I am really sorry to hear about your situation. And I shudder to think that any of the folks who post here could be rejoicing. I met you at the Colloquium last year and really enjoyed talking with you.

Might I suggest you steer this to another post, so people can follow it and offer you practical help and prayers?

Also, your vacation sounds heavenly. Have a great time.

Mary Ann
  • don roy
    Hey Donna
    with regards to my boy soprano....hes doing GREAT!! it turns out theres a retired piano teacher, a graduate of the royal school, who is a resident at the 55plus gated community whos community choir I direct. She heard my boy sing the Franck panis, recognized the talent and drive and offered to teach my boy free of charge. We next had to find a decent real piano and find a way to transport it. My church choir and that entire 55 plus community joined forces and got him a piano.
    Clementi never sounded so good.
    As regards the choir camp, all involved felt that my boy (obviously i dont want to use his name...sad sign of the times) wasnt ready to travel that distance by plane on his own.
    To see his joy at discovery (not to mention a killer B flat) is a joy to everyone.
    Ill keep ya posted.
  • Donnaswan
    I should have posted this on another forum, I know. I started not to post at all. But I'll take a week off and see how I feel.
    Don Roy so happy for your boy soprano. Wish I could hear him You are so lucky. I had just one once but after one Christmas Eve singing 'Once in Royal.. I could never get him to sing again- Soccer took over his life

Donna
  • This came as a real shock.

Donna has been a fixture here in the Diocese, has taken the choir to sing at the Vatican, was the best trained liturgical musician in the Diocese all those years (Westminster Choir School).

I never thought that there would be a time when she was not at the Cathedral. Especially since there is no one in the Diocese with her qualifications to replace her.
  • Donnaswan
    Oh jeez, Noel, I have suddenly remembered the letter has not gone out to the Parish yet- PLEASE don't pass this around till next week. What was I thinking. Of course, my choir has been informed, so I suppose it doesn't really matter. If someone from this Diocese is hired I will truly barf. You know what they are capable of, having seen Ordination and Installation programs and countless Chrism Masses, which don't bear thinking of
    Donna
  • Understood. I'm sure that your choir is devastated, and rightly so.
  • richardUKrichardUK
    Donna,
    I'm on a slow road to Catholic conversion (from Anglicanism), so it doesn't sound like your parish would want me either. But I'd be glad to hear more details, treated in confidentiality, just email me on: richard@paradisum.net I believe I have a lot of experience to bring, but what I don't have is an advanced degree. And I don't play the organ. Two big strokes against me. I'm not an academic, always wanted to be singing and conducting and that's what I went gung-ho into right out of college. Holy Name Cathedral Chamber Singers in Chicago (Richard Proulx) was my first ever pro singing gig and I loved it. The funny thing is that here in the UK, there are no choral conducting degrees at all at any level, but many very good choirs. People learn choral conducting here by actually doing it.
  • richardUKrichardUK
    And thanks, Singing Mum!
  • don roy
    hey donna
    could you send particulars to me as well at droy7@cfl.rr.com. (if its appropriate)
    my parents live in oak ridge and my mom has altheimers so id really like to be closer to home.
    i hope this doesnt come accross in any way as tacky. its clear you have performed miracles where youve been and is so sad that rather than be allowed to continue to grow many of us simply wear out from constantly performing miracles in a vacume.
    the church really needs to do a better job in nurturing its musicians.
  • Donnaswan
    I will get in touch when I'm back from the beach. We are leaving momentarily

Donna. Or perhaps, since my daughter will undoubtedly bring her laptop, I may do it there

Donna
  • richardUKrichardUK
    If anyone would like to know more about my background, please email me on: richard@paradisum.net I am still searching and praying for something to develop, somehow.