Penitential Rite on Easter Sunday
  • Regis
    Last year our associate pastor claimed that on Easter Sunday (in the new rite) the penitential rite is omitted because of the sprinkling that follows the renewal of baptismal vows. I told him I didn't think this was the case, because it seemed to me the sprinkling rite had to take place at the beginning of Mass in order to be used in place of the Kyrie. But then, I remembered that we do omit it on Ash Wednesday because of the imposition of ashes, and that takes place in the middle of the Mass.

I've checked both the ordo and Bp. Elliot's "Ceremonies of the Liturgical Year," but neither seemed clear about this. Is there anyone who knows for sure either way?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Well, I'm looking at the Sacramentary, and the red bits say:

A. The rite of blessing and sprinkling holy water may be celebrated . . . at all Sunday Masses

OR

B. The penitential rite follows.

OR

C. (Re omission of Kyrie if LOTH is used as part of the proanaphora).

The rubrics for option A state, "When this rite is celebrated it takes the place of the penitential rite at the beginning of Mass. The Kyrie is also omitted.

Also, in the portion of the Sacramentary for Easter Sunday, there are instructions regarding (for the US) the rite of the renewal of baptismal promises after the homily, which replace the creed, after which the sprinkling rite occurs.

I'm not a liturgical expert, but ISTM that while there is some kind of ambiguity regarding how to handle the penitential rite when the sprinkling rite is celebrated at some point in the Mass other than at the introductory rites, I don't see anything particularly problematic about praying the penitential rite at the beginning, as with the case of Easter Sunday the sprinkling rite is replacing the Creed, not the penitential rite.

Anyone else?
  • john m
    It has been my understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that the penitential rite is omitted on Ash Wednesday because that entire Liturgy is a penitential rite.

My interpretation of the rubrics for option A would be that they apply only when the Sprinkling Rite is replacing the Penitential Rite in the same position at the beginning of Mass. As David observes, the sprinkling on Easter follows the renewal of baptismal vows, which is a replacement of the Creed. Thus it is a different ritual from the Sprinkling Rite option in the Introductory Rites.
  • G
    "the penitential rite is omitted on Ash Wednesday because that entire Liturgy is a penitential rite."

Well, but isn't the penitential rite omitted also in Masses at which Baptism are performed because the baptismal rite contains a penitential rite? (and certainly that entire liturgy is not penitential in tone.)

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • john m
    G: - Yes, but the Penitential Rite is also omitted when Mass is preceded by another rite - which in the case of Baptism during Mass, would be the rites at the entrance of the church.
  • Jscola30
    As fast as I know there is a penitential rite.