Hilarious send up of Contemporary "worship"
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Jeffrey C. It's wonderful to hear about those youths with beautiful faith. I feel, also as a parent, that adults need to draw a line and be consistent. I was told that most teens actually like and desire guidance from adults, even if they oftentimes act like they don''t need it. Many teens feel lost because parents and adults don't give them clear guidelines, so they go somewhere else for security and comfort. They also don't truly appreciate or respect when grown-ups act like them or give into everything they ask.
    The adult Catholics can provide young people what they like and want (of course within reason) somewhere in a parish community setting, but maybe we need to draw the line that Mass is not something we can give into the way they like (or what we think they like). Help them to respect Mass as Catholics and keep it Holy. Otherwise, we are really giving up to pop-culture, and there will be nothing left to give up for them.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    "Slow Martyrdom" which to the organist who absolutely hated working with me translated to me being "Passive Aggressive" in her mind, which frustrated her as I was Passive Passive. It was like watching a pressure cooker with a bad safety valve as she waited for me to blow...when she was the one with the bad valve.

Really good, Catholic lady, very devout.

But yes, it was slow martyrdom...after being paid for two years, removed from payroll, offered to stay on as a volunteer until finances improved, worked for 7 months for free and was fired as a volunteer and replaced by a paid employee!

Priests in the diocese called it unjust. I'm still passive. It was the pastor's dream to have the music that we sang and he did not lose the dream but was convinced to give it up and go back to the approach of doing music the people like.

The church needs music that is only associated with it. The half-way gesture of doing music that they like and some music that is purely Catholic is like living on the border with one foot in two different countries, not fully French, not fully German....and not fully trusted by either side.
  • Kathy
    I think we should provide some Masses in French, for those who only know French, but most of them in German.

The Council said that THE goal of apostolic activity is that more and more people are baptized and come to eat the Lord's Supper. God forbid that this should mean we stock our shelves with "welcoming hymns," which completely fail to "announce the mystery of the day or the season," as the GIRM expects the processiona chant to do.

But, for those who already think of modern music as the soundtrack of their church lives, their worship, their faith, a my-way-or-the-highway attitude will drive them away from the parish.

Phase it out.
  • IanWIanW
    not fully French, not fully German

That would be Alsace.
  • Michael O'Connor
    or Lorrraine