• artdob
    Having played at NO masses for nearly 25 years, had the great opportunity to play for my first EF Mass today. A bit unsettling however as I feel more than somewhat lost knowing when exactly to intone phrases on the organ, when it's appropriate to have music or not (e.g., assume permissible during insencing but in this setting, not sure when to stop), etc.

Anyone aware of a reference source to help the organist new to the EF Mass find answers to the issue noted above? I do have a 1962 missal, but a roadmap specific for the EF organist would sure help..as I'm sure experience will as well.
  • ChaedatylChaedatyl
    I don't know of any books that give specific directions for organists. What I have learned is just through experience. Others may have book resources. However, I direct an EF Mass choir, and play for our EF Mass when the organist cannot make it. I would be happy to help with any "nuts and bolts" questions you have. Do you have a choir? Are most of your Masses high or low?

I'll assume that since you are using incense at Mass that you are playing for a high Mass. In this case, you would want to "fill in" with music in between the sung introit until the priest has returned the thurible to the server. Then, he will go to the right side of the altar to start the kyrie.
  • dad29
    Whatever you do, do NOT play over everything.

Some Orders seem to think that the organ should be playing whenever there is a 'break' in singing--i.e., during the entire Canon (except the Elevation), between each incensing, while the priest strolls to the pulpit, etc. That is distasteful...

Just like in music, silence has meaning and portent. That's why the whole-rest was created.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Erik P
  • Jeffrey MorseJeffrey Morse
    At St Stephen's (Sacramento, CA), ALL the masses are in the EF. The 8.30am Low Mass is without ANY music. The 10.30 High Mass has the organ improvising everywhere it can- including the canon up to "hanc igitur" and then after the consecration, and even over the last gospel, as at a High Mass, the last gospel rubrically must be said silently. The 1.00pm mass is a "messe d'orgue" with organ throughout, except where prohibited. Speaking of prohibitions though, one of the most thrilling Masses I ever attended was a NOTRE DAME DE PARIS while Cochereau was still there, the fanfares on the reed chorus at the consecrations-both of them, were thrilling beyond words!
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    artdob: a gentle reminder. organ music is not allowed during the canon of the Mass. this is true in spite of what used to happen in france (the french organists were notorious for being disobedient in this regard).
  • Jeffrey MorseJeffrey Morse
    In the EF, organ music IS allowed during the Canon up til the HANC IGITUR and then after the consecrations. My FSSP bosses showed me the references for this when I started (was it fortesque and O'Connell?). The French variation was simply playing THROUGH the hanc igitur and the concecrations, which frankly was also done in San Francisco when I was a boy. I remember at least at Low Mass with organ, the organ played straight through, and when I went to communion, one of the school sisters would tell me to come to a cadence, she slid in next to me on the bench and placed her fingers over mine so that there was no break and she continued on.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    @jmorse; i would love to see this reference. please post it, and i will correct my earlier post (after this happens).
  • BruceL
    Every once and a while, I would go on autopilot at the EF. Unfortunately, one day I did after the "Ite missa est"...let's just say, I didn't intend for the blessing to have organ accompaniment...
  • dad29
    BachLover: IIRC, the material you seek is in Pius XII's 1958 Instruction.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    dad29: thank you. i stand corrected. (although, technically, Fortescue says the entire canon can be thought of as the Consecration...)

In this regard, it must be noted that if any local custom of playing the organ during low Mass might interfere with the participation of the faithful, either by common prayer or song, the custom is to be abolished. This applies not only to the organ, but also to the harmonium or any other musical instrument which is played without interruption. Therefore, in such Masses, there should be no instrumental music at the following times:

a. After the priest reaches the altar until the Offertory;
    b. From the first versicles before the Preface until the Sanctus inclusive;
    c. From the Consecration until the Pater Noster, where the custom obtains;
    d. From the Pater Noster to the Agnus Dei inclusive; at the Confiteor before the Communion of the faithful ; while the Postcommunion prayer is being said, and during the Blessing at the end of the Mass.
  • dad29
    Yes, well.

Contrast those instructions (which are legally binding) with the "instructions" given by the ICK priests....

Not to mention that the "3rd Confiteor" referenced above was abolished--except for the ICK, who simply write their own rules.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    @dad29: they are not the only ones...but perhaps it is better to look at their strengths than dwell on their weaknesses.
  • chonakchonak
    (Not to dwell on someone's mistake, but...) what contrary instructions were there from the ICK priests?
  • dad29
    chonak, you'll have to do your own research or take my word for it.

As to 'weaknesses,' these are the very same 'weaknesses' which were perpetrated by Bugnini and Weakland (et al)--that is, ignoring Roman LEGISLATION (not suggestions, mind you) for "the greater good." Yah, that worked out real well.

We've had 40+ years of ignoring Rome and don't need another 40.
  • artdob
    BachLover2: Thanks for the recommendation for the book:
    http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/psallite-sapienter-a-musicians-practical-guide-to-the-1962-missal/2951032?

Received it yesterday. This will help a lot. Feeling more comfortable already. Thanks to all for the discussion on this thread.