The Sixteen- Masters of Sacred Polyphony?
  • Hello to all, I am new to these forums. My name is John Monaco; I'm 17, a senior in high school, and a seminarian for the Archdiocese of Hartford (CT); thus I will be attending St. Charles Borromeo Seminary next fall. I am passionate about sacred music, and always have been. I sing in 7 choirs, including both the All-State Chorus and the Musica Sacra Schola in Waterbury, CT, and we sing the Latin Mass which is offered every Sunday night, 6 p.m.

Now that the introduction is out of the way haha, I'd actually like to get on topic. I have an extensive "collection", or library of sacred music on iTunes, and among all of the artists, I LOVE The Sixteen! They seem to be the pinnacle of what ANY choir should sound like; they sing with such emotion, clarity, and skill, that they truly bring the music of the Renaissance to our contemporary society. Would you guys consider them to be the masters of performing sacred polyphony?
  • don roy
    the 16 are wonderful. anything they do will be guarenteed to be wonderful. have you tried the westminster cathedral recordings of palestrina and victoria? those are my personal faves.
  • I really do love the Sixteen as well, but consider these other groups: The Cardinal's Musick, Tallis Scholars, Pommerium, and the Orchestra of the Renaissance (available on Glossa, usually singing with instruments).

Don, I like the Westminster CC, but not every recording. They do remind me that some choirs in the Renaissance were large (Seville, Rome, etc) and may have sounded like this.

Finally, as much as I love the English sound from the above groups, I have to also remind myself that singing in the Renaissance may have sounded very different from this. We'll never know for sure.
  • gregpgregp
    By the way, John, welcome to the forum. We are always delighted when someone like you joins our ranks. Coming to the Colloquium?
  • The Hilliard Ensemble is certainly worthy of note and are on a par with the others mentioned above... also Chanticleer. I find them to be even more exacting than The Sixteen. Still, the English Cathedral choirs, whether C of E or RC, with their use of boys voices, convey the tonal sense of the sound of earlier eras - though, as Michael points out, singers of those eras inevitably sounded different from our best efforts to second guess their accents, vocal production, tuning, mannerisms, and approach to performance. Much as we admire the artistry of these modern groups, the artistry of past times might well sound as strange to us as we to them.
  • ^I forgot to mention, I have numerous albums by The Hilliard Ensemble, and they're great when they perform the English, Italian, and French madrigals/motets. But you guys are right, it would sound different 500+ years ago.

Anyhow, I don't think I can come to the Colloquium; I just "discovered" this site yesterday, and just read stuff on that. I would love to though, it seems so interesting, but I guess the spots are filled already.
  • I'm going to propose a few American groups for consideration:
    Chanticleer
    Dale Warland Singers
    Schola of St. Peter the Apostle (J. Michael Thompson)
    Shrine of Imm.Conception DC Choir (Peter Latona)
    St. Olaf Principle choir-Anton Armstrong
    BYU Concert Choir-Ron Staheli
    Luther College (Ohio) Weston Noble, emeritus
  • Donnaswan
    For those not totally 'gone over' to the sound of boy sopranos, almost anything by the Gloria Dei Cantores, esp their Gregorian chant recordings under the direction of the esteemed Dr. Mary Berry. And their recordings of Anglican Chant- They are wonderful. I keep them in the car always.
    And Westminster Choir College- not for chant though- just great choral singing.

Donna
  • And, whilst enumerating American chori, that of St Thomas' Church (Episcopal) in New York is not to be left out. Their Anglican chant, while sometimes interestingly eccentric in pointing and delivery, can hardly be bettered on this side of the pond.
  • Donnaswan
    Mr. Osborn, I second that!
    Donna
  • Jackson, I like Chanticleer, but not for polyphony. I find it odd that you like them more exacting. I find their polyphonic recordings frequently out of tune. The Sixteen stands far above, IMO. Should also mention The King's Consort.
  • Mike, I think it was I who advanced Chanticleer. I've found that the intonation issues were more evident in their early recordings (25 years ago? Wow, time flies.) Having continued to purchase their recordings over that time, and hearing them live a number of times as well, Joseph Jennings has consistently managed to find male sopranos who effortless hit the mark all the time. I can't think of a live concert of theirs that I walked out not feeling astounded by both their precision and their aesthetic understanding of the repertoire. Once, in Chicago, they sang Tavener's "Lamb." You sing that out of tune, it's over. Nope, they nailed it.
  • Charles, look above, I quoted Mr Osborn's comment. Anyway, I'm happy to know that they have improved over time. The last recording I picked up was the Morales Missa Mille regretz. Please don't think I don't appreciate the marvelous quality of the ensemble, but I was reacting to Mr Osborn's preference for them over Harry Christopher's group. Just my opinion, which is worth as much as it goes.
  • richardUKrichardUK
    Hi John, welcome to the forum. As a native Chicagoan and professional singer who relocated to the UK many years ago, I am intimately familiar with the choral scene in this country. The Sixteen are a brilliant choir, no doubt about it. I've heard them in concert many times and count among my friends and colleagues some of its members. There are a number of other choirs in this country, perhaps not so well known, but also worth hearing.

An important point to remember is that the sound of professional mixed choirs singing Renaissance sacred music of the type of the Sixteen and Tallis Scholars, is a comparatively new sound. This music in the Renaissance would have actually sounded quite different because choirs were all male, using either boys on the top line (England and a few continental choirs mainly in the north), or, on the continent, high countertenors (falsettists) on top, with high tenors, baritones and low basses taking the parts we now know of as "alto, tenor and bass", which was the normal practice over all of Europe. An exception was Italy where the high "castrato" voice came to be used on the top line, rather than high falsettists prevalent in other countries, who, of course, were not castrati. Especially in Spain at this time, the role of boys was normally only to sing plainsong in Masses and Offices, the polyphony being sung by the adult men. (Plainsong then was regarded as the way to teach boys to sing!) So with this very different sort of choir than what we are used to hearing now, the pitch of the music would also have been lower: most experts agree that it probably sounded as much as a fourth lower, deduced by various interpretations of the clefs in use in the original sources. The resulting sonority was very different, weighted towards the lower voices, the bass parts being very low indeed, and the high tenors really at the top of their range as "altos", the high countertenors floating above as "sopranos".

There are a few professional groups around who perform Renaissance sacred music at the lower pitch: The Hilliard Ensemble, Chanticleer, the Cardinall's Music, and when Andrew Parrott made his recordings of this music in the 80's and 90's he used all male choirs too. And there is a brand new ensemble forming in London now, that will be 12 professional male singers, intent on performing this wonderful music at the original pitch and trying to recapture that sonority. I've conducted such a group a few times and the sound of a group of men singing this music at low pitch is stunning. Not to take anything away from the Sixteen's wonderful top line, of course. Both approaches are valid. When this new London group has made its first recordings (Spanish sacred music), I will let everyone on the forum know!
  • Hi Richard,

You are certainly correct about the use of "tiples," or male falsettists in Spain, but there is a good amount of evidence that the boy "seises" had some role in polyphonic singing in Spain. Just about every cathedral had them, and Juan Ruiz, in his article linked below, begins to present evidence that they were at least in the mix in polyphonic singing. These selected boys were groomed for advanced musical training and participated in polyphony. At the very least, those numerous SSA or SSAT sections and complete works must have been written with them in mind. If we consider how many competent male countertenors there are today, and think about how many would have been needed in Spain, it seems that good choirboys would have been needed either solely or in combination with the falsettists.

link

BTW is this Richard Cheetham, I'm speaking with?
  • richardUKrichardUK
    Richard Childress here. I enjoyed this article, and I hope this new low-voice group could well incorporate some boy trebles on occasion. There was some experimentation with this back in 1998 when a group I was working with did some pieces where 6 boys from Winchester Cathedral joined with the low voice choir in polyphony. It was quite an unusual sound, the boys singing low in their voices and the countertenors singing high. The person advising this new group is Bruno Turner and we're looking forward to doing some wonderful new discoveries.
  • Hello everyone who posted in my absence.

I do not think I can attend the colloquium, because the spots are settled and I just was informed of it in the past week. But, I cannot stress the importance of sacred music on my life. I am in NUMEROUS choirs, have studied music theory, etc. In the seminary, I plan on offering every bit of musical talent I have for the glorification of God.

Back on topic, concerning Chanticleer, I have their short album "Byrd: Music for a Hidden Chapel", and I enjoy it. I have a couple questions though-

1. This is a more authentic Renaissance sound?

2. I'm aware of the fact that males would have been the singers as sopranos and countertenors back in the days of the Renaissance, however would the pieces truly be pitched a fourth lower? I find that interesting; I never really thought they would be, until by logic, it makes sense.

But yeah, is there any other groups I should look into? So far, I have a decent amount of pieces by The Sixteen, The Tallis Scholars, the ENTIRE Hilliard Ensemble album "English and Italian Renaissance Madrigals", Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, and only that one album I mentioned by Chanticleer.

God Bless!
  • Richard, please say hello to Bruno for me. He is contributing an article to a book I am working on and has been a wonderful help in some other research.

As for the low pitch. I'm aware of the downward transposition of high-clef pieces. They just don't make much sense where they are written, but for "normal" clefs? That really puts everything in the basement. Most C1, C3, C4, F4 clef arrangements have the basses already singing low G's and occasionally an F. I was under the impression that theorists advocated an upward transposition of a step for these works.
  • richardUKrichardUK
    I'm simply a singer and not academic in this area, except for what's come to me though singing or conductng this music with different groups. And usually, when you have a male ensemble, the parts all end up in the most exciting part of their range, they fit like a glove. That's, I think, the best way to know you've got the performing pitch right. For example, I sing lots of Tudor music with modern choirs, and the "alto" parts are almost always too low. Imagine a violist performing an entire concert on just the lowest string and that's what life's like for a choral countertenor! I find it unacceptable cannot be that Tudor composers wrote a part that, in its lower reaches, is almost inaudible in performance. That's why some of the new Cardinall's Music recordings are so good, they're thinking anew about Tudor pitch, which has always been a thorny area of course.

Getting back to the orignial post: John, which is your favorite Sixteen CD?
  • Of course, the theorists give suggested transpositions and one must remember that in Venice, for example, organ pitch was around A460 c. 1600. In the end, a director must choose the best pitch level for the group. I'm always intrigued by the pieces that are difficult to slot, even with an all male group. It brings up very interesting questions about the makeup of the group that composer was imagining or working with. Also, have you noticed how most Spanish polyphony fits well into the range of the alto shawm? Very suggestive.
  • Richard, my favorite CD of The Sixteen "Renaissance - Music for Inner Peace", although I enjoy "A Mother's Love - Music for Mary". The thing about the "Renaissance- Music for Inner Peace" album that gets me is that I truly feel that I am in a Italian cathedral adoring the Eucharist as Claudio Monteverdi's "Christe, Adoramus Te" is sung. That, and the others brings tears to my eyes, literally. I really like all of the ones I own (A Mother's Love, Renaissance, Ceremony and Devotion, Faure's Requeim, Sistine, Tomás Luis de Victoria) however I just downloaded "Music from the Sistine Chapel", so that is slowly gaining my attention as my favorite haha.

How about yourself?
  • richardUKrichardUK
    Yes, indeed, the use of wind instruments in 16th c. Spain is well documented. John, I don't have very many Sixteen CD's, but one I love from the early days of the group is Monteverdi's six part mass "in illo tempore". It's a work of absolute virtuosity, cheerful and radiant. I absolutely adore Monteverdi, but I'd be hard pressed to name an absolute favourite composer from this period. I love all of it.

I think a low-voiced choir generally comes closer that the sound world of the 16th century, a few pieces or traditions notwithstanding. England is still a can or worms with regard to performing pitch, it will be endlessly debated.