DC Solemn Pontifical Mass Kudos
  • To my dearest poet and friend, Kathy and her lovely chanters,
    To the most generous-hearted composer and schola director, Richard Rice
    To his schola
    To the beautiful choir, organist and director par excellence, Dr. Peter Latona
    To EWTN, and its guiding light and conscience, Mother Angelica
    To Father Zed and his co-commentator for their incisive and mannered perspective
    To Archbishop Slattery for stepping up to the plate as a "pinch hitter" and knocking one of out of the park, and his confrere ministers

Deo Gratias
  • I so agree. It was a wonderful Sacrifice to our God.
  • Kathy
    Thanks, Charles! It was a lot of fun. Tremendous support on all sides. Interesting, too, how the seas were so stormy there for a time, and everyone had to weather them together.

Deo Gratias indeed!
  • Chrism
    What a beautiful day for the Church in the United States. I was greatly edified just watching the Mass on television.

I will be kicking myself for years for not having made arrangements to attend in person.

A profound thank you to all who participated.

Today you made me feel so very proud to be Catholic.
  • JMJ_coder
    It was beautiful. I didn't even know about it beforehand -- I stumbled upon it while eating my lunch (tuned in around the time of the Collect).

I think this is a tremendous achievement. This is not something that can be written off as some backwater group that is anti-Vatican II. This was in America's Church, the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception with a Bishop in 100% communion with the Holy See and a Cardinal in attendance (God love him, he's got to be at least in his 80's!). And the place was packed!

Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of commentaries during the televised Masses, I must admit the quality of the commentary was above and beyond -- I learned some new things.
  • Chrism
    An additional note: that may be the most beautiful video of a Mass ever recorded.
  • Agreed! I didn't know there would be commentary at all, and now I wish that every Mass I go to I could have Fr. Z and his cohort sitting on either side of me (er, and a special indult for whispering during Mass....). Hats off to all involved, especially Dr. Rice, the schola, and the choir.
  • Maureen
    I watched it on TV also. It was very nice and very impressively solemn. The number of camera angles they got was amazing.

I did think it was funny when Fr Z and the other commenter were talking about chapel veils, and the camera folks focused on a couple of ladies wearing classic summer hats.... :) But yeah, even the demeanor and dress of the folks in the pews was good to see.
  • vincentuher
    I second Charles' remarks at the top! Heartfelt thanks to all of you!

I am glad that the whole Church can now see what a treasure Bishop Slattery is!

(It was for Bishop Slattery and Father Mark Daniel Kirby that I wrote this hymn.)
  • Richard R.
    Because I summarily cut them from the final program (as none of the Shrine Choir members were listed), I would like to publically thank the members of the Schola who contributed to Saturday's Pontifical High Mass:

David Sullivan
    Paul Connors
    John O'Connell
    Jacob Wood
    Brian Kiernan
    Steve Karsteter
    Ken Wolfe
    Greg Bennett
    Dave Amann
    Ed Myers
    Michael Collins
    Brad Cypher
    Kurt Poterack
    Michael Lawrence
    and David Lang

One for the books.

Richard Rice
    Canticum Novum Schola of Greater Washington
  • JMJ_coder
    Apparently Cardinal Castrillon was to be the main celebrant. Does anyone know why he couldn't make it? (not that I wasn't entirely pleased with how well Bishop Slattery celebrated the Liturgy!)
  • chonakchonak
    JMJ_coder, you must not have been reading the Catholic news this week. :-(

Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos withdrew after public controversy over some statements he made in 2001 in the aftermath of an abuse case in France. The traditionalist Paulus Institute, which sponsored the Mass, issued a press release about it.
  • miacoyne
    It was the most beautiful Mass I've ever been.
    The music was superb.

It was estimated that about 3000 to 4000 peope were there.
    It was overwhelming to see so many people came to support our Church , her Tradition and our Pope.

I witnessed yesterday what the bishop reminded us in his homily, "Sufferings only reveal Christ."

It was the proof of Holy Sacrifice of Triumph, victory of our Church and our faith in Christ and His Church.

I'll never forget this Mass, and I hope my kids will remember how beautiful our Catholic worship is and each one of them will always be proud of being a Catholic.
  • DEO GRATIAS!!! The Solemn Pontifical Mass at the Shrine on April 24 was truly a majestic and historic event to experience. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Arriving early, I was able to have a seat on the center aisle to observe the wonderful procession. (No singing for the procession- -the gifted Peter Latona at the organ.) The Basilica choir and Richard Rice's schola sang beautifully (thanks, Richard, for posting the schola personnel). It seemed that we were in the vestibule of Heaven! David Lang's Treble Choir from St. John the Beloved in McLean,VA and Kathy Pluth's Youth Schola (St. Louis Church, Alexandria, VA) sang very well, prior to the Mass. What an accomplishment! Bishop Slattery gave a wonderful sermon. Congratulations and mega-thanks to all who participated and made that wonderful Mass possible.

The next day, I attended Low Mass at St. Mary, Mother of God Church in DC. The church was full, partly due to a prior announcement that Bp. Slattery would offer the Mass. He was unable to do so, however, because he "lost" his voice overnight; but he did speak to us briefly from the pulpit after Mass.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    the Mass was wonderful. the commentary was wonderful. what a change has come over the church! back in the 1970's and 1980's, we had to keep our love of the liturgy secret, almost afraid of excommunication. now we have the national basilica more full than i have ever seen it for a 1962 Mass! even the liberal blogs are talking about nothing but this Mass; they are talking of nothing else. what a change!
  • I was, unfortunately, unable to watch this Mass. Are there plans to re-broadcast it, or is it available somewhere on the internet? Thanks for any info!