Quaeritur in re "processional" antiphons in new Missale
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Perhaps I wasn't paying attention and this has been discussed here or elsewhere, but I was just wondering if the conundrum of the "processional" antiphon texts (introit, offertory, communion) is going to be corrected with the new translation of the Missale Romanum so that they match those found in the Gregorian Missal, and if the offertory antiphon will be restored to the "throw-away" missalettes and hard-bound hymnals, etc. that include the others.

I love the "teachable moment" provided by the fact that the ICEL English translation "entrance antiphons" printed in the throw-aways we use (polyglot Polish/English) do not in any way match those of the GM. It gives me a really grand opportunity to show just how manipulative the Consilium was when they instituted the vernacular Missal in 1970.

Nevertheless, I'd love to see this oddity corrected, and the offertory antiphon restored to the missalettes.

Does anyone know anything about this?

(BTW, after a lengthy, self-imposed "banning" from this forum (the reasons for which include my high umbrage regarding the way I was treated in the midst of one lively thread, and also the fact that discussion threads were being systematically "hijacked" and turned into ad hominem attacks when posters couldn't come up with something intelligent and substantive to contribute to the discussion), I'm coming back to participate once again. As a sidebar, I'm currently working for an excellent parish with a phenomenal Pastor, and the opportunities for the advancement of the reform of the reform are plentiful.)
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, David!

The discrepancy between the chant introits/communions and the ICEL entrance/communion antiphons comes from the Missale Romanum itself. That is, the discrepancy is in the Latin books too.

For example, for the Third Sunday of Advent,
    the Graduale Romanum (and the Gregorian Missal) have this introit:

"Gaudete in Domino semper: iterum dico, gaudete:
    modestia vestra nota sit omnibus hominibus:
    Dominus prope est.
    Nihil solliciti sitis:
    sed in omni oratione petitiones vestrae innotescant apud Deum."

while the 2002 Missale Romanum has this entrance antiphon:

"Gaudete in Domino semper: iterum dico, gaudete.
    Dominus enim prope est."

The new English-language Roman Missal is going to be based on this 2002 Missale Romanum, and will continue to present these missal-antiphons, which were only intended for use when the antiphon is not sung.

Incidentally, for your interest, I've translated the introduction pages to the Graduale, and put the text online; that might be useful sometime for explaining how the introit, offertory, etc., are intended to be used.