Wedding Offertory Proper in English
  • We would like to begin singing the offertory proper in English for weddings but I cant find it anywhere (nor even WHAT it should be--neither St Meinrad or the Sacramentary seem to have it) So, anyone out there know where I might find it?
  • In the E.F. and O.F., the offertory is psalm 30 (31), verses 15-16: "In thee, O Lord, I have hoped. I said, Thou art my God; my times are in your hands." The current Roman Graual lists that as one of two proper offertories in the O.F. This offertory is also used on the first Sunday after Christmas, and an English version of this can be found on p. 51 here: http://musicasacra.com/books/americangradual1.pdf. I hope this is what you need.

The other proper offertory listed for the O.F. is psalm 33 (34) verses 8-9. This is the offertory for the 20th Sunday of Ordinary Time. I don't know where this could be found in translation.

The simple gradual uses portions of psalm 36 (37). Perhaps Paul Ford's By Flowing Waters has a translation.
  • By Flowing Waters does have a setting of Psalm 37 (36V) as the offertory for weddings: BFW 477 and 478.

But the text of Psalm 31 (30V) really attracts me and so I might looks for this antiphon in the antiphonals and see what I can find to set in English. Stay tuned.
  • So I've looked into the various books I have and not been able to find a chant setting of "In te speravi, Domine; dixi: Tu es Deus meus, in manibus tuis tempora mea." I have done a Google search for antiphons that begin with Ego autem and Ego vero at the beginning of the verses, but these turn up nothing.

Any help on this list?

Gratefully,
    Paul
  • I don't think there is an antiphon In te speravi, other than the offertory mentioned above (LU 1035). I searched the antiphon texts of R.-J. Hesbert's Corpus Antiphonalium Officii, vol. III, and it turned up nothing.

Steven
  • Thanks, Steven.

I think I will meditate on the text with Mode II in my mind (a la Mrs. Ward's synthesis of its modal characteristics) and see what I can come up with.