English chant Improperia?
  • Has anyone ever seen an english chant version of the reproaches for Good Friday? I have seen a version in the NO sacramentary I think, but is there some place you can purchase them for a choir?
  • gregpgregp
    Kimberly, we are using the version from the Anglican Use Gradual, pages 119-121. It's available for download somewhere on the Musica Sacra website, I believe.
  • There is a nice version published by Cantica nova that I used last year. I liked it.

Mike
  • Dave
    Yes, the Reproaches appear in the Sacramentary.
  • GavinGavin
    The New English Hymnal has the Reproaches with a metrical refrain and the verses chanted to tone 8. Very easy, we're having children sing it for Good Friday.
  • Darcy
    Last year we did a setting of The Reproaches by John Sanders that was just beautiful (we will probably use it this year too). I ordered it from GIA, and there was a bit of a delay because they had to get more from England. It is a hauntingly beautiful piece. I came across a video of it being done at the Salt Lake City cathedral... amazing.
  • CharlesW
    My pastor suggested using the Reproaches during the upcoming Good Friday service. Since I needed to quickly obtain an English setting for a cantor to rehearse, I used the one in the "Worship II" hymnal . Is it the best and greatest available? No. But it will do until I find something better.