Cathedrals Can Lead...so why don't they? Westminster...Midnight Mass 2009
  • Yes, I've been to two baptisms lately that were done by deacons. Not that they do a bad job, but..

I guess what I was suggesting was that those who want to serve the church as choirmaster might also become priests, as in days past. I wasn't thinking of the other way around. If these men entered the priesthood like their Renaissance predecessors, with the knowledge that their principal job was musical, it might be a good thing.
  • francis
    Daniel

What kind of strictures in particular?
  • I just want to hear about the almost grotesque ones, myself.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Reading some of these comments reminds me of the controversy following Pope Benedict's use of Haydn's Harmoniemesse on Pentecost. I think more importantly than the particular genre of the music is the intent of the composer. Is the intent to glorify God, His church, and to bring man to Him; or is it to glorify Man and relegate God to second place?

I know church musicians who seem only to want Gregorian Chant (old Solesmes method) and Renaissance Polyphony (un-accompanied). These people are the ones that sneeze at the historical performance practise (yes, you red that correctly!) of accompanying these pieces. They follow the pseudo-regulations of the infamous 1920's black list, and don't look at anything else, failing to notice that other than Lassus, Palestrina, and Victoria (In approved editions), the only other composers mentioned were the compilers of the list and their cronies! (And you thought copyright was bad today?!) These are the people who think that, following a pseudo-musicological fad, that all accompanied music is somehow inferior to 'pure music', un-accompanied choral music. Well..."Danny Boy" was originally sung un-accompanied - does that make it and more sacred than a Mozart Mass?

I think that the Church has room, and has always had room for other styles of SACRED music. There have to be regulations, but not Puritanical Edicts. Lets have more Mediaeval Polyphony, lets have more Orchestral Masses, lets get together and commission a piece by Arvo Part, John Tavener, or Judith Bingham, and yes, lets have Gregorian Chant, and Classical Polyphony. (Lets burn the guitars and bongos.) But let us not get into Puritanical squabbles about styles and genres.

And in the words of Bach: SOLI DEO GLORIA!
  • Salieri, yes, there are those that seem a bit hidebound by the desire for chant and polyphony, but I do think we must keep "effect" in mind as we decide what setting of the ordinary or which motets to include at Mass. The Classical Masses, while composed in true dedication to worship and the liturgy were most often composed with grand events in mind. To reuse them outside of an event such as a coronation or the signing of a treaty or the marriage of royalty often seems a bit much. Just look at the sheer length of some of the Glorias and Credos that feature multiple movements. For example the Beethoven Missa Solemnis or just about any Schubert Mass can run close to 40 minutes or more. Now the Haydn and Mozart Masses are bit more reasonable in length, but keep in mind that they (and the Faure Requiem) were written with the TLM in mind. There is quite a bit of "multitasking" going on that does not occur in the OF of the Mass, where everything stops for the Ordinary before moving on. Using only parts of an orchestral Mass may solve part of the problem, but then one is left with asymmetric parts of the Ordinary. The beauty in polyphony is cyclical nature of most Renaissance Masses and the close connection they have to chant. I guess I am just saying that recovering the treasury is more than simply replacing Haugan and Haas with Palestrina and Mozart. The OF is another world (yeah, I'm rereading Dobzay).
  • francis
    Salieri said:

I think more importantly than the particular genre of the music is the intent of the composer. Is the intent to glorify God, His church, and to bring man to Him; or is it to glorify Man and relegate God to second place?

The intent of any composer, no matter who they are, is not and should never be the deciding factor as to whether or not the music is "pure" or "sacred". And far above deciding whether music is pure or sacred, the more important judgement is whether it is "liturgical".

...all accompanied music is somehow inferior to 'pure music', un-accompanied choral music. Well..."Danny Boy" was originally sung un-accompanied - does that make it and more sacred than a Mozart Mass?

A Capella on it's own does not make music pure or sacred in any way whatsoever. Witchcraft ceremonies employ that mechanism. It is, however, most purely human. 

I think that the Church has room, and has always had room for other styles of SACRED music. There have to be regulations, but not Puritanical Edicts. Lets have more Mediaeval Polyphony, lets have more Orchestral Masses, lets get together and commission a piece by Arvo Part, John Tavener, or Judith Bingham, and yes, lets have Gregorian Chant, and Classical Polyphony. (Lets burn the guitars and bongos.) But let us not get into Puritanical squabbles about styles and genres.

Michael says it well. Is the particular arrangement, score, setting and style of music matched to the particular liturgy being celebrated? I have an orchestral Mass that I myself have composed, but it is a grand scale liturgical work. I would never assume to 'perform' this music at any liturgy unless it was a grand scale liturgy. The LITURGY determines what music is appropriate. If it is a pontifical Mass (such as you mentioned) well, grand scale music is fitting. Those are rare liturgical events. If it is a gathering of church musicians from around the world (a CMAA colloquium gathering for instance) well, the nature of the gathered body would also call for the same.

What we are addressing here is the diberate outlawing and exclusion of the heart of roman catholic sacred music from it's own center of existence... The burden of proof does not fall to the church in justifying the use of it's purest forms (chant and polyphony), she defends these herself. On the contrary, we must question and scrutinize those musical forms that are new and even foreign to it's rite. The burden of proof falls upon those who would challenge the norm. That is where the abuse usually persists.
  • Regarding a capella vs accompanied, I like to find room for both. I have preferences, but in the eyes of the Church that's that's all they are. Chant seems to more flexible when sung a capella, but in some cases accompaniment can be a welcome ornament. Salieri is on the mark when he says that accompanying chant is almost as old as chant itself. Even polyphony was accompanied DURING the Renaissance. This practice eventually led to 17th-century concerted music. I suspect that this particular practice developed later, but its still an open question.

I agree with Francis too. The battle is first to reclaim our music. We can debate performance practice when it matters.
  • CharlesW
    You know, it would help greatly if the church would stand behind, and support what it claims to be "its own music." Other than some stale, never followed, and sometimes contradictory, documents on music from years ago, I don't see that the necessary church backing is there to support only one type of music. My pastor says it well, I think, when he states, "Our music should be both sacred and reverent." That's not a bad guideline to follow.
  • francis
    Charles:

The church does stand behind and fully supports what it claims to be its own music. It's her wayward children that throw off her mantle that do not support its claims. I ask you this:

Do you think the problem could possibly be that the church's own musicians perceive the Church's documents as 'stale' and 'sometimes contradictory' and are 'never followed'?

Personally, I believe they are vibrant, true and contain the essence of what the Church teaches and believes when it comes to true and excellent sacred music. It takes time, study, prayer, effort and humility to read and discern them and to take them into the center of my being. If the PIPs don't understand and respect the wishes of the church, then I will take it upon myself as the DoM that it is my own fault. I even take it so far as to educate the clergy and the staff about the wishes of the Church. If we as the musicians OF the church don't understand our own 'ministry' and try to implement it, how can we expect it of anyone else?
  • CharlesW
    I have wondered if those documents are held in high esteem on this forum, because they state what so many of us want to hear. I think those documents are not respected at all by most of the bishops. It's not the fault of the people. Granted, sometimes it can be the musician's fault. I will stand by my observation that the the leaders of the church in the U.S. do not support those documents. Another problem is taking documents that apply to music in the EF, and trying to extend them to the OF. That usually doesn't work. The two forms are different enough that what the older documents decree doesn't always fit the mass as it exists today. But again, the bishops are in charge, so a good bit of the blame rests with them if the music is not "right."
  • francis
    Amen to that.

However, polyphony is polyphony and chant is chant. The OF or EF doesn't change anything about that.
  • Back to the subject at hand. I just got a call today informing me that the rector of our cathedral felt that the congregation was not ready for a Latin Vespers service. One of the priests and the organist will be helping us do this in another more receptive church. This cathedral still thinks of itself as a parish where the bishop occasionally celebrates Mass. Sad, really.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Michael, that's a bummer. I'm a bit surprised, too. It seems to me finding a priest and an organist (and then a choir) are the hard part. Since vespers isn't likely to bump any other beloved litrugy off the schedule, wouldn't anybody "not ready" just not come? It seems reasonable to at least allow it as a trial, and then a rector opposed to the idea might then at least have the justification that not enough people show up (not a good reason, I think, but at least has data to back it up).

I'd guess that the rector is just "not ready" to throw his support behind the idea. I hope it's a grand success wherever you find to pray!
  • Dan, it always is and thank you. They did mention that they are gradually introducing the English evening prayer, but it's very haphazard at the moment. I suspect you are right, though. The rector probably isn't ready. Nice guy, but I think a bit worried that someone might complain.
  • CharlesW
    "francis CommentTime17 hours ago edited
    Amen to that.

However, polyphony is polyphony and chant is chant. The OF or EF doesn't change anything about that."

True, they are what they are. However, keep in mind that many of us consider the change to the vernacular to be a vast improvement. I am in favor of keeping Latin around, especially some of the beautiful music written in it. But I have no desire to go back to masses that are all in Latin. My eastern roots are showing, I suppose, since the east has kept the liturgy in the language of the people for nearly 2,000 years. Some of the structure of the EF is essentially gone in the OF. It can be difficult to fit parts of the two forms together, even when that is desirable.
  • Yes, but for those of us who feel that there is a benefit from a liturgical language and find that adapting chant that was written to express Latin words into English, Swahili or whatever, to be not only annoying but very difficult to do, we are still very saddened when institutions charged with celebrating the Latin Rite do whatever they can to "protect" us from the Latin language. I pray that the church will find a permanent means of serving us. I have a feeling that the SSPX is waiting to see what will happen.
  • But Charles, you are a Byzantine Catholic. Are you talking about your church Masses going back to Latin?
  • CharlesW
    No, our Byzantine liturgies are in English, although hymns and carols can be used at appropriate times of the year that are in Old Church Slavonic. That was never a spoken language, but it was close enough to other Slavonic languages that it was understood. Once we did a memorial for deceased members of a Ukrainian family in, what else, Ukrainian. For the RC parish where I work, the masses are in English, following the current directions in the missal approved by the USCCB for use in the United States. The only exception is Lent, when we use a Latin chant mass. Most folks think that's about enough Latin for the year, although we do sing motets occasionally that are in Latin.
  • What is the logic, even of some who don't care much for chant, by which chant is somehow fitting for Advent or Lent, or penitential occasions? I find this an annoying, if not silly, and certainly senseless mode of thinking. Of course, some chant is 'sad'. But more of it is gladsome or thoughtful. It is a great misdeed to foster and to be an accomplice in this grotesque misapprehension of chant ethos.
  • "The current directions in the missal approved by the USCCB for use in the United States." is not an accurate description of the language of the GIRM.

The vernacular may be used after a parish decides not to celebrate the Ordinary Form in Latin. The GIRM does not "direct" that Mass should be in the vernacular. The US Bishops attempted to get Rome to do this and it was denied. [of course, this assumes that someone cares about what Rome says]

The moment that anyone decides that English or any other language than Latin is the language of the Mass is the moment when they are no longer truly Roman Catholic. Anglican Use people have a wonderful liturgy and they are Roman Catholic....but it's not a cobbled together translation. And they are very clear that they are Anglican-Use Roman Catholics.

Current guitar-worshipping, adding to the Mass and leaving things out and personalizing the Mass advocates need to move on and out.

GIRM:

Since no Catholic would now deny the lawfulness and efficacy of a sacred rite celebrated in Latin, the Council was also able to grant that "the use of the vernacular language may frequently be of great advantage to the people" and gave the faculty for its use.16 The enthusiasm in response to this measure has been so great everywhere that it has led, under the leadership of the Bishops and the Apostolic See itself, to permission for all liturgical celebrations in which the people participate to be in the vernacular, for the sake of a better comprehension of the mystery being celebrated.

13. Indeed, since the use of the vernacular in the Sacred Liturgy may certainly be considered an important means for presenting more clearly the catechesis regarding the mystery that is inherent in the celebration itself, the Second Vatican Council also ordered that certain prescriptions of the Council of Trent that had not been followed everywhere be brought to fruition, such as the homily to be given on Sundays and holy days17 and the faculty to interject certain explanations during the sacred rites themselves.18"

Anglican-Use Parishes are now becoming more and more available to Roman Catholics who deny Latin as their heritage. It's great that they have a place to go now, and many of us can't wait for them to do so. Anglican-Use Roman Catholics are welcomed by a beautiful language that they have honed over centuries, it's time to abandon the miserable attempts over the last 50 years which represent in many ways local situations rather than the Roman Mass text.
  • CharlesW
    The permission exists for masses in English and they have become the standard in the U.S. No one is violating any rules by having vernacular masses. Let me put it this way, since as a Byzantine I have no dogs in the Latin/English fight. My pastor wants English masses. A component of my job is keeping my pastor/employer happy. That's why I am still employed.

I am told that I will see everyone in this diocese following the same rules when the new missal translation is published. That will be interesting to watch.
  • There are people not following the rules and doing Latin instead of English in the Diocese?
  • CharlesW
    Not that I know of, unless Latin is being used in Chattanooga. I don't know if they have a Latin mass there. A priest told me that the bishop has said not to anticipate any changes in the new missal. That when it comes out, everyone will be given the same set of instructions to follow in implementing the new missal.
  • fp
    No, not much latin in Chattanooga (as CharlesW said, we need to keep our pastor happy).....but with the new translation, if they start saying all the words in the missal (and only those) in the order they are written.....that will be a huge step forward.....!
    But there is interest in latin in the pew.....so hopefully it's just a matter of time!
  • CharlesW
    I should point out that my church hosts an EF Latin Mass every Sunday afternoon, so we do actually have a Latin Mass. The other 6 masses are in English.
  • francis
    Omygosh Charles! We had no idea about your closet Latin Mass! JK. I'm jealous. Man the Protestants are gonna be shocked when they get to heaven only to find out that the hymnal is titled the "Seraphic Antiphonalis Universalis"!
  • CharlesW
    There's nothing closet about it. It is well-publicized and well-attended. Each weekend we have:

1 Spanish mass - Saturday evening
    4 OF English masses - Sunday morning
    1 EF Latin mass - Sunday afternoon
    1 Byzantine mass (Byzantine Catholic Church in America) in English - follows the EF mass
    1 guitar mass in English - Sunday evening.

So, if any particular type of mass isn't your cup of tea, something else is there for you.
  • francis
    After all, MY cup of tea is critical to MY prefs and style of worship...

The phrase I often hear is,

"The Catholic Church is big enough to include everybody's prefs."
  • CharlesW
    Believe me, all of them are not my cup of tea, either.
  • francis
    That's because the church isn't supposed to be giving tea parties.
  • CharlesW
    Hey, I didn't make the world, or the church as it is today, either. I am a semi-happy Byzantine who plays/conducts 4 masses on Sunday morning. They are as good as I can make them, and the priests are orthodox and want good music. We are considered the "traditional' church in town. I am glad I am not in several of the other local churches that really are intolerable.
  • francis
    You and me both, Charles. How come you aren't directing music in your own church?
  • CharlesW
    The Byzantine church here is a mission, and is very small. I have a long association with the pastor of the RC church, teach in the parish school, and have known many of the choir members for many years. It also pays, although I will never get rich there. I couldn't see working in most of the other Catholic churches in town. Except for the cathedral and my parish, Catholic music is generally bad in this town.
  • Donnaswan
    Dear CharlesW, Thank you for inc the Cathedral! HAHAHA! And remember, we also have a Spanish Mass and a guitar mass.
    We'll see if there will be any changes after Feb 1.

Donna