Motet/anthem for Transfiguration
  • What are your favorite motet or anthem for Transfiguration (Latin and English)? The schola and choir are capable of 4- and 5-part polyphony but only number 12 at most.
  • How about O NATA LUX of Thomas Tallis? It's a stunning little piece, 5 parts, split tenor, not terribly difficult at all. I believe the text is taken from the medieval Sarum Use for the feast of the Transfiguration.
  • Jeffrey, Tallis' O NATA LUX is our old standby. Some are tired of it, and last year on the Last Sunday of Epiphany I had four members of the choir out of town on personal or professional business, which pretty much kills doing 5 parts. I love the Lauridsen O NATA LUX from LUX AETERNA, but we don't have the heft of men to carry the men's parts.
  • O Wondous Type! by Roger Petrich (Ox Univ Press # 94.328) nice alternative to the Tallis
  • rich_enough
    Some Renaissance pieces:

Guerrero: Et post dies sex (SAATB)
    http://www.uma.es/victoria/guerrero/pdf/Guerrero-Et_Post_Dies_Sex.pdf

Victoria: Quicumque Christum Quaeritis - Vespers hymn (SATB)
    http://www.uma.es/victoria/pdf/Quicumque_Christum_Quaeritis.pdf

Victoria: Resplenduit facies ejus (SAATB)

Peter Philips: In Splendenti Nube (SSATB)

Did not find the last two on CPDL, though they have the Victoria listed.

Can't imagine being tired of the Tallis!

Sam Schmitt
  • mahrt
    We often sing "Tu solus qui facis mirabilia" of Josquin Des Prez. It is in a lauda style, much of it homophonic, but wonderfully expressive. If you would like a pdf of it, send me your e-mail and I will send it to you. mahrt@stanford.edu
  • JamJam
    "Thou wast transfigured on the mount, and thy disciples, insofar as they were able, beheld thy glory, O Christ our God; so that, when they should see thee crucified, they would remember that thy suffering was voluntary, and could declare to all the world that thou art truly the effulgent Splendor of the Father." (Kontakion of the feast -- tone 7)

Not polyphony at all, of course. Just melody and ison.