Where are you coming from...
  • It would be extremely helpful if there were a code attached to each name of people posting.

frogman noel jones RUDR
    Roman Catholic Unemployed as a Director in a Roman church.

jon doe BEDR
    Bysantine Catholic Employed as a Director in a Roman Church

Mary Smith MVSR
    Methodist Volunteer Schola member in a Roman Church

William Brown A---C
    Atheist---Composer
  • FNJ,
    I'm not quite sure how such monikers would be "extremely helpful," but I play well with others, especially with Cab.

RCCDMEFTRC's (5 parish mini-See)
    Roman Catholic composer director music employed full time Roman Catholic churches.
    Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying to sound out the acronym.

For the record, posted during recess at parish school, off the clock.
  • Kathy
    I'm not too keen on labels like this. Most of these things make themselves known in conversation, and those that don't might be hidden for good reason.

Charles, you forgot "former hippie guitar man."
  • Dale Fleck......Director of music/organist at Cathedral of St. Helena
  • Really?
  • Carl DCarl D
    So I'm to try to describe my relationship with the Church in an acronym?

RCVSD,RTM,BCP,CCR,SMC,S2bH:

Roman Catholic volunteer schola director, RCIA team member, bell choir player, CMAA Colloquium recordist, sacred music coach, striving to be holy.

Not sure that helps a great deal... :-)
  • GavinGavin
    Is this like the Geek Code?
  • Gavin, I don't mind being dubbed a "former hippie guitar man," but I'm not smart enough to be a Geek Illuminati.
    And Ms. Kathy, who said anything about "former?" I also do jazz and reggae, mon.;-)

For the record, posted during my lunch half hour. Off the clock.
  • No, it's a way of understanding someone who posts:

I am not involved in church music at all in fact I do not attend a Roman church but I want to tell everyone how Gregorian chant should be in the Catholic church so here is what i have to say:

Knowing that we have two directors of music at two Cathedrals, is of tremendous interest.

Expanding the public membership profile would serve the same purpose. And probably be easier to deal with than acronymns.
  • Kathy
    Wow, Noel, what set that off?

Charles, we have GOT to jam. I know it's hard lugging wine and a gig rig to the same Colloquium, but please do what you can.
  • It's like the discussion we had about whether or not a musician in the Church should be Catholic. The responses may be more understandable if one can read and learn about the poster....

For example, should a religion teacher in a Roman Catholic be Roman Catholic...what if they are Byzantine? Or Jewish? Or Atheist?

We have respected Byzantine members...I'd be interested in reading their responses.
  • This may not put everyone "out there," but there are (or should be) customizable fields in each member's profile that you can use for just this purpose.

I plan on using this feature myself — click on my name to see what I have there already.
  • CharlesW
    I have a catechist certification to teach religion in Roman Catholic schools in this diocese.

Charles, the Byzantine
    or,
    OFKAC (the organist formerly known as Charles) ;-)
  • JamJam
    The problem with all these acronyms is that they're way too long. I would be:

EOLGTARCUWLLATLLASFTTTIEFS

Eastern Orthodox laywoman going to a Roman Catholic University who loves liturgy and the Latin language and sings from time to time in EF scholas.
  • CharlesW
    EOLGTARCUWLLATLLASFTTTIEFS? I think I know him. He's ROCOR isn't he? ;-) We should ask Church Overseas of Russian Orthodox Christians (COROC) spokesperson Father Vasiliy Vasileivich. It may be outrage!
  • I'd like to buy a vowel . . .
  • Thanks Aristotle, just fixed my email address and added two fields
  • CharlesW
    I have my e-mail address listed. I get so much spam to begin with, I can't tell whether listing it here has increased it any.
  • Charles, THE BYZANTINE! Tres kewl.
    For me and mine, then: Charles, THE LIBERTINE!
    Kathy, I'm not lugging wine from California this year, I'll find a Pomeroy's Wine Bar somewheres and have some Claret.
    Or some fava beans and a nice Kee-AN-tee!
    I was actually thinking of preparing a chant meets geetar late night session.
  • CharlesW
    Charles the Libertine, perhaps you will enjoy this.

http://www.dioceseofwenchoster.co.uk/hymnal/hymnstore/HM&A39.htm
  • @CharlesW (and concerned others): Account info is only available to those who have logged in, so I doubt that listing your e-mail here has increased the volume of spam in your inbox.
  • CharlesW
    Good to know. I belong to enough professional organizations that most of the western world probably has my e-mail address by now.
  • Perhaps I'll enjoy that lyric CtB?
    I'm programming it Sunday as an alius Offertorio! I think it's extremely eschatological, and therefore appropriate. Besides, I was getting weary of "And they'll know we a Christians by our wine, by our wine...."
    CtL
  • CharlesW
    Well, there's always:

Drink to the mountains, drink to the sea.
    Grasp your stein and wave it high.
    This is the beer that Beck's has made,
    Let us rejoice and be glad.
  • GavinGavin
    Gavin C., FCCUEMDLECWWCFHNSO

(Formerly Catholic Currently Undecided Employed Music Director at a Low Episcopalian Church Waiting With Crossed Fingers for His New Skinner Organ)
  • G
    Well, if anyone cares...
    Scelata, RCSTBUMDSTUOFRCBVOTWBAUEF

(Roman Catholic Soon To Be Unemployed as Music Director at Small Town Urban Ordinary Form Roman Catholic church But Very Open To Worshipping Byzantine, Anglican Use or Extraordinary Form))

Save the Liturgy, Save the world
  • Kathy
    SDBABNTTECThMAMDALPIAVAW/AC,YCS,MS(OS),CCASC.PGLOSYM.CUDPTBSFAIW.

And by the way, I write hymns.
  • See Frogman, it's gone viral.
    These are the end times.
    "I'm not ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille!"
    Off topic, anyone that can offer a brief prayer for Wendy....abcessed tooth, root canal emergency today (was going to wait for the 14th, but...)
    PS@G- I care, and will always. Been close to the fire myself recently.

Posted at home, before workday begins.
  • Kathy
    PS@G you have good friends here. Best wishes with the next thing the Lord has in store.
  • BA,A30yowSPc(DG).AC(p)SD(u)--hwabtt.CN/LMN/ON,fmp,psp,nhsm,woutCRm

Born Anglo-Catholic, after 30 years of waiting Summorum Pontificum convert (Deo gratias!).Anglican choirmaster (paid), Schola director (unpaid)--high-wire act between the two. Chant nerd/liturgical music nerd/oratorio nerd, former music professor, former private school principal, now home-school mom, wife of ultra-trad Catholic Renaissance man

(Kathy, I used to write hymn texts to order for a Catholic university when I was the "you are way too traditional for us" choral director and sacred music professor..."We're keeping the X festival, can you pick a piece we know and add a verse or two for X? You don't do Y's music; okay, what about one of those traditional hymns you're always asking for; I suppose that would do." I'm nowhere as gifted as you!)

--posting from my son's laptop after mine died last night, taking with it two of my (major) orchestrations for Christmas and Circumcision (please pray that the hard drive is resurrectable--the Passport backup apparently didn't get it right!)
  • "Chant nerd" is my schola members' self-identifying term for all of us...no offense intended!
  • CharlesW
    Nerds are good people!

Also, prayers for a speedy recovery for Wendy.
  • Thanks, CtB, it's not going so well. The swelling is quite pronounced and the oral surgeon cannot therefore do the root canal for about a week, even if an opening were available. A stronger antibiotic will hopefully show some results tomorrow, and her pain level has heightened. She is still recovering from the triple fracture of her left ankle (17 pins) that occured 8 weeks ago, and she says this pain is worse than all she endured through to this point. Not been a pleasant autumn. But she is strong in the Lord; reading the office prayers gives her great solace. I just wish I could help relieve her pain.
    Blessings to all. CtL
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Mark M., SOO.

(Schola of One.)
  • G
    Prayers for Wendy.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Prayers for Wendy--been there, done that, have a fourth gold crown.
  • JennyJenny
    Dear Charles,

What a terrible season for you and your bride! Prayers for both of you.
  • Lord knows how much I love and appreciate our friends and fellow travelers here in CMAA! Dear Dr. Jenny and Patricia, thank you.
    One of my frontline sopranos was at Vigil tonight, and I approached her with Wendy's plight, as she likely won't make schola Mass, and I wasn't sure my daughter could be there, so I implored her if she could make it for the choral motet. She will. But she also then said that she had a relative who DIED from a septic abcessed tooth! Just what I needed at the end of Mass! ;-)
    It did "feel" wonderful to chant the AG Propers tonight at Vigil, though.
    We're gonna be fine. Wendy's relaxing with the cats now...
    I have some cab, I'm sure God's smiling for us as he's weeping for others and greeting new saints and infinity's whatnot.
  • francis
    JAHF&LCMTTGTHAHTLAFNDBFTGAHOJ&M

Just A Husband, Father, & Lowly Church Musician Trying To Get To Heaven And Hoping To Leave A Few Nice Ditties Behind For The Glory And Honor Of Jesus & Mary

gee, Noel... Maybe that will be my acronym for my music compositions... Not as cool as AMDG, but, hey!