The real issue: Recollection
  • G
    I'll play.

>Irreverence for the Blessed Sacrament is a good place to start the conversation, no?
    Constant, loud, joking, shouting across the nave, chatty conversations even during exposition, servers who come and go during Mass; kids playing while their parents socialize after Mass, wedding photographers and musicians - traipsing around the sanctuary, (where the tabernacle is centrally located,) as if it were their family room.

>Music for the emotions rather than the intellect. "On Eagles Wings"
    Nearly ubiquitous

>Lay people distributing the Blessed Sacrament when a priest and deacon are present.
    Yes, we too often have... unemployed concelebrants, because they "don't know OUR communion pattern!"

>Youth ministers...
    ?

>Lay people with little or no education in the liturgy planning liturgies.
    From the brides and grooms and mourners who are given to think that weddings and funerals are the time for their favorite songs and poems, (and I as the musician am the only line of defense,) up to diocesan "liturgical commission" members...

>Women and men dancing during the liturgy.
    Not our parish, but regularly at a number of parishes and school Mass throughout the diocese and at virtually every major diocesan liturgical celebration.

>Clowns saying Mass.
    Never saw.

>Puppets in the Mass.
    Not the giant ones, thank goodness, but a hand puppet delivering the sermon (NOT at a children Mass)

>A cantor queen or knight hogging the microphone crooning the responsorial psalm.
    Curing young people of pop styling is very difficult. Getting cantors to back off the mic' is a constant struggle, but that's not as difficult as getting MONSIGNOR Caruso to do so....

>A reader "interpreting" the readings with raised eyebrows and long pauses for emphasis.
    Yes.

>Eulogies at Requiem Masses.
    Frequent. Most recent one, the guy made himself at home, leaning on the ambo and telling jokes.

>Lay people conferring blessings....
    Constant.
    Besides the EMHCs conferring blessings in the communion line as a congregation we are asked to do our impression of the crowds in Triumph of the Will at least every other weekend.

>"The geographical parish I live in features the 'assembly' praying to 'Our Father and Mother in heaven'."
    A visiting priest frequently does this, but not during Mass, so far as I know, only at meetings, prayer services, etc.

>"Celebrating Mother Earth at the Newman Center"
    I have no problem with Sister Moon, Mother Earth, etc...
    The fact is some places, perhaps, (hopefully?) MANY places are getting better but others are sinking further into careless abuse.
    And what Catholic Mass mentions Mary aside from Marian Feastdays?

"And I ask blessed Mary, ever Virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God. Amen."

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • How often is the name of Mary uttered during Mass aside from this?

I was once in a meeting, one priest complained that Marian hymns were being sung during Mass and wasn't this wrong?

Another turned and said, "Is she not the Mother of God?"
  • JamJam
    Too bad y'all don't have a Theotokion to sing, and that y'all write your own litany of the faithful instead of using the ones St. John Chrysostom wrote (which always end with: "Commemorating our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady Theotokos and ever-Virgin Mary with all the saints, let us commend ourselves and each other, and all our life unto Christ our God." R. "To Thee, O Lord.")

I was afraid that we were getting off topic here, but since the thread is about "recollection" and the proper attitude of Mass (and how to achieve that attitude), I think we're quite on topic, actually. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I will add my comments to this list.

Irreverence for the Blessed Sacrament...

This is unfortunately common in Catholic churches. Most people do genuflect when seating themselves, but I noticed that they do this even when the entire altar, tabernacle, everything has been removed and the chapel has been converted to something else for an event. Do they know what they are genuflecting toward? Once I asked a friend of mine, a cradle Catholic, why he did this before sitting down (he just returned from communion) and he said, "I don't know, I've just always done it that way."

I often see people walking in and out of Catholic sanctuaries like it's no big deal. (Often you can't even tell where the nave ends and the sanctuary begins.) One church I went to people would exit the church through the sanctuary and out the sacristy, because there was a door to the outside back there. I see choirs in the sanctuary--women in the sanctuary, all the time! lay women, serving at the altar, touching the altar... I am a woman, and still appalled by this (and at the concept of altar girls--can't even comprehend the church sanction of it). And there are these awful pictures of my friends' Texan church of the consecration of their new, beautiful altar... and sitting in the background--BEHIND THE ALTAR--is a djembe player. He sat there because the choir on the side of the sanctuary was so big, he didn't fit. So he sat behind the altar, right next to the tabernacle, and was in all the pictures of the priests and bishop consecrating the altar.

Also, I think communion in the hand is irreverent by default, and don't understand how Catholic hierarchy could possibly let that go on! It certainly turns communion into a very irreverent act into lots of churches. Most people take the host, grab it with two fingers and put it in their mouths like a chip or a cookie or something. I've only ever seen one man take communion on his hand and eat it straight off the hand, careful to make no crumbs whatsoever. Maybe communion on the hand isn't intrinsically irreverent (although that is my opinion)--but you must agree that it makes irreverence much, much easier.

Music for the emotions rather than the intellect...

Jesus rock. I've heard so much rock-n-roll Jesus at Mass... and the Spanish Mass was worse, they had a mariachi band, no kidding. Our Lady of Guadalupe was the feast, I think... I actually burst out laughing during Mass! I couldn't take Mass seriously. Just had to stifle my laughter best I could and try to pray.

Lay people distributing the Blessed Sacrament when a priest and deacon are present...

What could be good about fleets of laypeople distributing communion (especially lay women) -- even if the priests and deacons are distributing too, I often see way more extraordinary ministers than necessary (and they're usually SCHEDULED to work on a weekly basis; what is extraordinary about that?). Seeing them line up behind the altar to stand behind the priest for the Eucharistic prayer... it's hard to watch.

I understand that there are special situations with infirm priests, etc. But every Catholic church I've ever been to has had fleets of EMCs, if they had EMCs at all. I'm so glad Latin Masses don't use them. At Franciscan the best they got was having all priests distributing the host, but twice as many EMCs were needed for the chalices. honestly, I'm glad VII encouraged receiving under both species, what what is so hard about intinction? The east has been doing it for thousands of years! Why couldn't VII just mandate intinction and get rid of the need for EMCs altogether?

How could... lay people can't touch the sacrament with their hands! they just--can't! what an awesome and terrifying thing to think about... taking communion with all reverence and fear in your mouth from the spoon is hard enough, but with your hands? This kind of emasculates priests, doesn't it? I thought the point of ordination was mainly the ministry of the Eucharist... and not just consecrating it but presenting it to the people as well. There is something wonderfully symbolic about the priest, in persona Christi as you say, putting the Body and Blood in your mouth. I don't understand when people only worry about sacramental "validity" and not symbolism also.

Youth ministers...

Did you mean by this bad catechises or something? the RCIA I took was actually pretty good, so no complaints there.

Lay people with little or no education in the liturgy planning liturgies.

Every time my Texan Catholic friends tried to talk to the liturgical coordinator about things the church wanted, he wouldn't listen. He hadn't even HEARD of the documents the church put out about music, much less read them. He loved the djembe and wanted to rearrange everything in the sanctuary to fit a bigger choir. When I tried to talk to the liturgical coordinators at a church in Alaska about singing Gregorian chant for them for a musicless Mass they had in the evening, I was denied, because that was the Confirmation class Mass and they wanted guitars and contemporary music. My voice passed the bar, but my idea did not. When I tried to talk about the pope, saying he says Gregorian chant is the only music perfectly suited to the liturgy, they literally said that he was too old and too far away for them to care about him. I was trying to be nice to them so they could hear out my idea, but man if I could go back I'd tear into them. I'm not even in communion with Rome and I have more respect and care for the Pope than they do.

Women and men dancing during the liturgy.
    Clowns saying Mass.
    Puppets in the Mass.

Can't say I've seen any of this, but I do think priests cracking tons of jokes during liturgy counts as "clowns saying Mass."

A cantor queen or knight hogging the microphone crooning the responsorial psalm.

I hate microphones as a rule.

And the last things on the list I haven't seen... I've only ever been told "God bless you" by an EMC, which isn't the same as conferring a blessing, right?

I don't understand how it's possible not to be upset over these things and so much more that is wrong with the OF Mass (or should I say, the way many parishes do the OF Mass)... remember what I wrote in the beginning of this thread, about how the Orthodox Divine Liturgy is? I really shouldn't be up on this high horse--it's probably bad for my soul--but think about it. Noel was just saying that he understands how us Orthodox on these boards get so upset sometimes. "It's not THAT bad" is the best defense of things? The point isn't how bad it's not, the point is how good it's not! You Catholics have such a wonderful, unique, Western liturgical heritage--where has it gone? I love EF Masses very much. What a shame it is that average American Catholics rarely see any of this! All they know, and all they probably ever will know, is mediocrity.

How can the Mass be about recollection when it is mediocre and entertainment-oriented? When it is irreverent? Or--no, let's say it's reverent, but it's less reverent than it could be. God deserves as much reverence as we can muster, doesn't He? I think that's what musica sacra is all about here--about getting the Mass to the point where it couldn't be about anything else but recollection. Getting it to where every sight, smell, sound, is directed toward God, and directs the mind and heart toward God.
  • The topic, the attitude, the spiritual state on which Kathy started us here was 'recollection'. And, all the abuses enumerated by Noel and others betray an utter absence of this recollection. However, this absence is not new to our age. Indeed, any student of ecclesiastical and liturgical history can recount the times and places in which drastic reform was needed both in monastic and secular institutions in order that the Church's worship of her Lord and God be restored to that expression and understanding of the Beauty of Holiness and the Recollection of it which are fitting and appropriate, 'meet and right'. Our age, it seems, happens to be one of the worst imaginable of these periods of shameless iconoclasm, deliberate disrespect and often purposeful ignorance, not to mention the craven pandering to the presumed (or enforced) ignorance of the populace.

Not to defend Protestantism, but for the sake of just perspective, one may with some confidence point out that most of the abuses of our time cannot be laid at the Protestant doorstep. The greater part of them have been devised and perpetrated by Catholics upon their own Church and its worship without reference to other ecclesial bodies. Many of them would, in fact, have no need or purpose to arise outside a 'Catholic' frame of reference; particularly the Catholic mass. Still, there is nothing Protestant about any of Catholic sacramental or sacerdotal theology, nothing remotely Protestant about remaining Catholic teaching as to the efficacy of good works, the ex opere operato nature of the seven sacraments, the veneration of saints, intact Mariology, papal infallibility - one could go on indefinitely. In spite of widespread and grotesque liturgical abuse there is little wrong that can realistically be said to be Protestantising. Which compounds the shame of those who are responsible for the abuse. If there is much at fault that comes truly from outside the Church, it may be from the misguided influence of the worst of American culture, but, negligably from Protestantism per se. One might even speculate that if we didn't have the Novus Ordo, but still only the Usus Antiquior, all these people would be desecrating IT.

As for Protestant vs. Catholic: for us to sing Nun danket alle Gott or the sound eucharistic hymns of an Anglo-Catholic priest is a good thing. For them to be singing Veni Creator Spiritus and, often, Catholic eucharistic hymns (in Latin, yet!) is good. It is SO good that we are no longer killing each other and presuming preposterously to exercise that judgment which belongs alone to the All Holy in assuming (proclaiming, even) that all Protestants (or all Catholics) are ipso facto not among the redeemed. We in this life are wisely counselled to pray, and hope, for all humanity. (Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord.) Protestants have enough faults without being blamed for the faults of Catholics.

Hoping not to be tiresome, I ask of Kathy to elaborate on just how she perceives the Protestant and Catholic worlds to be two sides of the same coin. I continue to maintain that they are for the most part irreconcilably different. There is unimaginably more common ground between Catholicism and Orthodoxy (with Anglo-Catholics somewhere in between) than between either of them and Protestantism, which repudiates both.
  • Mr. Z
    Please don't confuse my remarks as an exercise in semantics, but:

Liturgical dance? -- Oxymoron?

The breaking - the abridgment of sacred tradition, the annulment or abrogation of the very idea of "organic development" of the liturgy, this is in and of itself "anti-Catholic" and not just for the "New" replacemant so instituted, but by virtue of the very fact that this wholecloth rewrite of the Sacred Liturgy is now deemed acceptable. This is nothing if not anti-Catholic, anti her traditions. Luther was a Catholic priest. The idea that something, just by the mere fact that it is originating from within the Church, avoids the tag "Protestant" - and again, we're mindful of semantics here - is not correct by my reading. The Protestant "mind" or "spirit" or "tone" is there, in the deemphasis of the "Holy Sacrifice" of the Mass vs. the "table" service or meal emphasis, the lack of emphasis in the Real Presence which has allowed Catholics to slip terribly from this important belief - that is Protestant, I would say, perhaps not in edict but certainly now by custom. The "World Council of Churches" mentality, the "protest" and ad hoc rewriting of our own prayers (and this happens ALL the time, and can be quite egregious) by those who are offended by some of the concepts thus conveyed. And so then this appropriation of the text of the Mass for their own purposes and the claim of "revelatory" or higher or more pastoral of culturally sensitive (read: PC) knowledge by "liturgists" with agendas is not much different than a slew of Martin Luther's -- and so for these reasons and for many of the reasons already mentioned by others, I would say the label of "Protestant-ization" (sorry about the coined term itelf) applies.
  • mjballoumjballou
    As someone who has been in and/or around just about every Christian denomination except snake-handlers, I think some of the blame placed on Protestants is unfair. Catholics pretty much "un-did" their liturgical practice all by themselves. However, some folks liked to justify changes by pointing to Protestant practice (real or imagined) and claiming ecumenical "broadening." Nonetheless, the mainline and evangelical Protestants of my childhood and youth were decorous, quiet in church, well-dressed and had no interest in puppets, glass chalices, liturgical dance, etc.

Things are improving in many places - some faster than others. Focus on the good and incremental improvement (if that's all you're going to get where you are). Nudge things forward - and don't ever for one moment think anyone is going to thank you for it.

Oh, and everyone in the USA - have a happy Thanksgiving!
  • I also recall visiting a church in the last 6 weeks, a downtown city church.

1. Priests asks if there are any visitors. "Where are you from?"

2. Who has a birthday today? "Let's sing Happy Birthday for __________."

3. Mass stops for the priest to lead a little song while the children leave before the homily.

4. Children come back in, RCIA class is called forward, there is prayer for them then....priest leads another cute little song while they leave prior to the Creed.

This church until recently had a very fine music program, varied, but also including chant and polyphony. Parish now has a protestant music director making it possible to cut the salary....as the pastor announced that since he was not Catholic volunteers would take over planning the liturgies.

What is the center of the Mass here?
  • GavinGavin
    I was preparing a point-by-point refutation of the litany of things that the Protestants ruined, as others have done. But I think it just boils down that some people need to realize the 30 Years War is over. Protestants didn't ruin the Catholic Mass; Catholics did.

Although if you want to talk blame, one of the newer Episcopalian hymnal supplements contains three hymns: "On Eagle's Wings", "Be Not Afraid", and "Here I Am, Lord". The preface to these hymns says something to the effect of "In order to welcome visiting Roman Catholics, these hymns have been included..." The facts show that the old axiom is true: When Rome catches a cold, the rest of the world catches pneumonia. Bad music and un-serious liturgy entered Protestant churches after Rome started it. Tell me who's ruining whom?
  • Gavin's right.
  • Kathy
    Although I agree with Gavin, I also think that the reason the Catholics went wrong in the first place was because of a false ecumenism, in which we threw out our mystical-liturgical heritage in an effort to become more similar to mainline Protestants.
  • JamJam
    I just want to say that when I was adding to Noel's list, I wasn't blaming those things on Protestant influence, but just saying... those things exist in Catholicism, and in most parishes I've ever seen, too.

I ask of Kathy to elaborate on just how she perceives the Protestant and Catholic worlds to be two sides of the same coin. I continue to maintain that they are for the most part irreconcilably different. There is unimaginably more common ground between Catholicism and Orthodoxy (with Anglo-Catholics somewhere in between) than between either of them and Protestantism, which repudiates both.

I think it was me who said that, actually. Yes, Catholicism and Protestantism are irreconcilably different--just like the heads and tails on a coin are irreconcilably different. I tend to agree that there is more common ground between Catholicism and Orthodoxy theologically (sacramentality, communion of the saints, shared history, etc.) ... nevertheless, there was never a Protestant Reformation in the Orthodox East. Protestantism came directly out of Catholicism, as a reaction against her abuses and human imperfections, at first, and then later on evolved to a more thorough rejection of all things Catholic (especially the Puritans and Anabaptists). So while Catholics and Protestants answer the same questions differently, the thing is, they're asking the same questions. They have the same Western world-view, the same scholastic and rationalist heritage. Protestants and Catholics often use the same terminology, set about to define things in certain ways, and understand the world and their relationship to God in scholastic ways or even in binary kind of ways, an either-or -- either you're Catholic or you're Protestant when you come at this or that question.

Orthodoxy asks different questions to begin with. She sees the world through a completely different set of eyes and comes from a completely different spiritual heritage. Even though we share 1000 years of church history with Roman Catholics, at the same time even when we were together there were completely different things going on in the Latin West and in the Greek East...

Does what I said make a little more sense now?
  • G
    Also, I think communion in the hand is irreverent by default, and don't understand how Catholic hierarchy could possibly let that go on! It certainly turns communion into a very irreverent act into lots of churches. Most people take the host, grab it with two fingers and put it in their mouths like a chip or a cookie or something.

Stop me if I've told these before....
    Close quarters with a choir in the sanctuary, priest hands the Blessed Sacrament to someone at the end of the row, says, "Pass this down, will ya?"

Organist playing during communion, priest approaches, organist quickly cadences, (is that a verb?) rising from the bench, but priest says, (this is verbatim, seared in my brain,) "Oh, don't bother," as he places the Host on the corner of the console and walks away.

Notice neither incident involves an EM. Nor is it imaginable that a protestant liturgical denomination would treat their communion with such casual contempt, and that's without putatively professing that that which they consume is the actual Body and Blood of Christ.

The only possible impetus for such actions is the need to "get on with it," hurry along, "pick up your cues!"

If you slow down, if you wait, if you stop, if there's STILLNESS -- why, it might lead to thinking, to contemplation.

In short, to recollection.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    I agree that some of the stuff on the list (clowns, microphone hogs) is not a matter of Protestant influence per se. It's from importing entertainment into worship.

By the way, since we're thinking of can-you-top-this outrages: a weekend assistant (retired priest) at my geographical parish tells a Reader's Digest style joke every week, *during the time for meditation post-communion.* I sent the pastor a letter a few days ago.
  • gregpgregp
    A priest here never reads the Gospel from the Lectionary. He always stands in front of the altar and 'tells' it from memory. Of course, he is at an age when he doesn't always remember the text, but that just adds to the 'authenticity', because at that point he just ad libs. How's that for Recollection?
  • I would still like for Jam to be more specific as to the differences in theological approach and spirituality between Orthodoxy and Catholicism. Yes, their respective Recollections differ, but are they truly substantial? And, as for the Reformation: its happening is due to a number of factors, some of them not at all spiritual. Which is to say it would never have gotten off the ground had it not been perceived as a way of increasing the power and indepencence of quite a number of princes. Also, it is not often noted that a great number of those kings and princes who remained Catholic exacted their own heavy price in gaining more or less thorough state control of various aspects of Church governance. That is to say, others might very well have gone the way of England (and said as much) had they not gotten the concessions they desired. Also, there was the humanism of the age, which was a tremendous influence on the polity of the 'reformers'. This humanistic movement never made itself felt in the East, nor was there there the degree of friction between church and state which came to pass in the West. This owing to the fact that the churches of the East long had (and continue to have) a very cozy relationship with the Basileus, the Czar, or, even, the Sultan. Corruption in the East was no more a stranger than in the West. And, to close on that note, one might well assert that the Reformation would never have ocurred if the Church's house had been in order.
  • Mr. Z
    It would seem that some of us are being accused of suggesting that the idea of "Protestant-ization" of Catholicism is somehow being generated by the Protestants more than Catholics themselves. Well not so much true, though the fact that this is a Protestant nation more than Catholic (USA) and those influences are hard to avoid, especially through the modern vehicles of TV and radio, etc. But of course, it is more that Catholics themselves, or people generally today, have "itching ears" and have a "Burger King" (Have it YOUR way) mentality towards almost everything, including religion, perhaps especially religion. So this is not about infiltration by Protestants.

Now to Jam, I do worship in a Byzantine Church, so there is no prejudice here, but regarding your "triumphalism" - one has to ask the question - if the East has had so much "going for it" why have they had such a poor track record in evangelizing? Missions? It is an inwardly focused mindset content to rest on its laurels and bathe in the beauty of its very lovely liturgies. But is that it? or am I missing something here?

But back to the other point, the Protestant-ization of RCC, you do find that Bugnini is a person of at least questionable credentials, and who brought in Protestants to assist as "expert advisors." You can find a lot on the internet expounding on this, as per example:

()...*Jean Guitton on Dec. 19, 1993 in Apropos (17), p. 8ff [also in Christian Order, Oct. 1994]. Jean Guitton was an intimate friend of Pope Paul VI. Paul VI had 116 of his books and had made marginal study notes in 17 of these:

"When I began work on this trilogy I was concerned at the extent to which the Catholic liturgy was being Protestantized. The more detailed my study of the Revolution, the more evident it has become that it has by-passed Protestantism and its final goal is humanism" (Pope Paul's New Mass, p. 137 (cf., p. 149),
    ()

I personally think that the very fact that Catholics, and others, have the opportunity now, mostly by the virtue of the internet, to have access more easily to this vast pool of information on the subject (both good information and not so good, unavoidably) and thus give shape and direction to some of their no doubt deep seeded ambivalence or questioning relative to the modern church generally and the Novus Ordo Mass in particular, is a very good thing. My observations might be thought of as more food for thought rather than ought right declarations of what I think, as who would care what I think as I am not an expert in any of this, but I have been, as some of you as well, as music directors, etc., an "up close" observer of the clergy and the machinations of the church and I am more than concerned, as are many here.

No aspersions are meant regarding "protestants." There would be no "protestants" if the Church, meaning Catholics, had their "act more together," but that is Satan's main job, isn't it, to make sure that doesn't happen.
  • I agree with Mr Z. I don't believe anyone here is rekindling the 30 Years War (where, btw Protestant fought Protestant and Catholic France fought Catholic Austria, so what's your point?). Rather American Catholics have been raised to view the Mass the same way that Protestants view the Sunday service (i.e., a gathering to hear a preacher preach and to somewhat informally offer prayers to God). It's the informality that many priests and laity seem to be craving. I really get the sense that some priests wish we could dispense with all the rubrics and let them preach for 40 minutes before a quick Eucharistic Rite. That's just my perception.
  • JamJam
    "if the East has had so much 'going for it' why have they had such a poor track record in evangelizing? Missions?"

Um, Cyril and Methodius? All of Greece and Russia are Orthodox nations. there are autocephalous Orthodox churches all over Eastern Europe. Saint Herman evangelized the native peoples of Alaska to the point where the official religion of most Alaskan native tribes is Orthodoxy (and that Orthodoxy lived on very strongly despite the aggressive assimilationist Protestant groups that moved in after the US bought Alaska from Russia). Most of the Orthodox people I have met were converts at one point or another, actually, in America; whole congregations of Protestants have been known to join the Antiochian Archdiocese of America (from Anglicans to evangelicals). My godfather was the Lutheran pastor of the church down the street from my home parish until one day he resigned his post and became an Orthodox catechumen (along with his family). There are mission churches popping up all over the US, and I've been to several missions in Alaska which finally have their own priests and a mission in Texas which had just ordained their lone deacon to the priesthood the year before I was there. There is a massive swell of interest in Orthodoxy in America, I think, from tons and tons of people who are growing ever more dissatisfied with the shallow wells of our American Puritan heritage churches.

Just because you haven't seen much Orthodoxy in America doesn't mean it isn't here. You probably just haven't been looking for it. And what a Western mindset it is to discount the whole of Eastern Europe, and Russia (where Orthodoxy is again beginning to flourish, even after so much communist bloodshed) -- and there's even small, but thriving Orthodoxy in Japan!

And Mr. Osborn, do you want me to go into the East-West differences as specifically addresses recollection? Or what? I'm just wondering if we need a new thread or not.
  • Jam - You have asserted that there is a greater likeness between Protestantism (P) and Catholicism (C) than between the later and Orthodoxy (O). Whether in the mode of Recollection or other more abstract matters, I do not believe this to be a tenable argument. It seems to me that where O and C differ, they do so more in certain theological emphases than in matters of substance. And, certainly, C has inherited the Roman gift for codification and law in matters which, in O, are treated as pious tradition or simply regarded as un-knowable. Both are intensely incarnational in ways that find no parallels in P. Likewise, their sacramentalism is an outright affront to the P mindset. Both have their roots in the land and culture which gave birth to the Christian Faith, whereas P is to a high degree the product of XVI. century social and humanistic intellectual movements. Yet, in saying this, one is aware that there have come to be literally hundreds of 'Protestant' denominations, none of which has a theology that is but in the vaguest imaginable way related to the breadth of truth to which both C and O give witness.
  • Mr. Z
    Jam,

I am of Eastern European heritage and worship in a Byzantine church, so I don't know how much the "and what a Western mindset to discount Eastern Europe and Russia" applies. First, I was not discounting anything. I did probably employ a poor choice of language by saying "poor track record." (Would "pales in comparison" be better? Just kidding!) I did not, of course, mean to say there were no missionary work, and I would trust that you would just know that. Also, this was not meant as an accusation, just an opportunity for clarification. But again, I must apologize for the poor choice of words.

Well, I brought up missions because there is just no comparison between the Latin Church and any other church as far as missionary work over the centuries, and given the churches are approx. the same age it is a legitimate question, and not one where I discount any of the missionary work of any church. But there should be a reasonable explanation. Such an explanation may not even be one which would in all ways be favorable towards the West, but the numbers are the numbers - and so what is the explanation for the disparity? That is all. I'll see your Russia, and I'll raise you West Africa.

The Eastern traditions are rich and have a lot to offer, and the West should try to learn from the East, that is true, but does the West have something for the East as well?
  • GavinGavin
    In response to Jam's statement, although I do not agree with it, I have run into it from my own researches into Orthodoxy. Particularly Fr. Greggory Hogg, an Orthodox priest and convert from Lutheranism, has written extensively about this on his blog: http://frgregory.blogspot.com/ You could search his archives, but here's a couple articles I've seen:

http://frgregory.blogspot.com/2008/06/in-west-it-seems.html
    http://frgregory.blogspot.com/2008/06/khomiakov-on-difference-between-east.html

(NOTE: I'm not saying I agree with Jam that C and P are closer together than O and C, but rather adding some other arguments to the discussion for consideration and understanding.)

I've also heard a radio interview somewhere (shouldn't be too hard to find) where Fr. Hogg explains his rationale for conversion in eloquent terms and lofty rhetoric. Then the interviewer says "If you were dissatisfied with Lutheranism, why not become Catholic?" "Well... umm.... you see...." After hemming and hawing for a bit, he does bluntly say that it was always clear to him that the Reformation was still necessary, only that they didn't go far enough back in fixing the problems with Rome. Fr. Hogg and other converts can be interesting resources for understanding the differences between East and West.
  • JamJam
    Mr. Z --

There are more Roman Catholics in the world than Orthodox Christians, that is true. Is that what you're getting at--that Orthodox missions aren't the best because Catholics outnumber them? the Orthodox can hardly be called bad evangelists, seeing as how they are the official church in many countries and exist healthily in many countries you wouldn't even expect them in, like Japan and China. But you can't be too hard on them, seeing as how much of the Orthodox world has been under the thumb of Islam for centuries, and more recently communism. In fact, taking that into consideration, the Orthodox are excellent evangelists for still existing after all this time. And you can't forget that there were a lot of traditionally Orthodox places which are Catholic now simply due to the Crusades, and that kind of military compulsion can hardly be called good evangelism.

So, Catholics number at about 1 billion, and the Orthodox at 225–300 million. Factoring in the Crusades, the rise of Islam, the martyrdoms during the communist era (we're talking in the hundreds of thousands from Stalin alone) ... I think the difference is not so extreme.

Mr. Osborn --

I go back and forth on this question, actually, so I'm not sure what I think about it right now. I think mostly what I am trying to say is that Protestants came from Catholics, so they got all their ideas from Catholics in one form or another at first (and then proceeded to twist them to such heretical extremes they become unrecognizable). Protestants and Catholics share a penchant for scholasticism, rationalism, and juridical ideas about salvation, to name a few things. They're both quick to define doctrines and dogmas in definitive terms and to exalt reason beyond what perhaps it should be.

but you're right, Catholics and Orthodox share a sacramentality which protestants seem to have lost completely. This sacramental view of the world which we share makes me comfortable in the Catholic University I am going to. Our 1000 years of shared history are also wonderful... so, I'm not going to make a definitive statement one way or another, but sometimes I do get to thinking that way. Thanks to Gavin for the articles.
  • Kathy
    I wanted to try once again to ask this question about recollection. The following is from an essay by Jordan Aumann, OP, about one of St. Teresa of Avila's great allegories on prayer, the four waters.

It seems to me that sacred music can help those who are able to pray in the second way--a better way, the way of recollection--quite a bit of help.

"In her first work St. Teresa explains the grades of prayer by using the symbol of the "four waters," or more precisely, the four methods of watering a garden. The first method is by drawing water from a well by means of a bucket attached to a rope. This is the first stage of prayer and it includes vocal prayer and discursive meditation. The individual is active, exercising the faculties and reaping what benefit it can through one's own efforts. But lest the beginners think too much and turn their discursive meditation into an intellectual exercise, St. Teresa advises them "not to spend all their time in doing so. Their method of prayer is most meritorious, but since they enjoy it so much, they sometimes fail to realize that they should have some kind of a sabbath, that is, a period of rest from their labors. . . . Let them imagine themselves, as I have suggested, in the presence of Christ, and let them continue conversing with him and delighting in him, without wearying their minds or exhausting themselves by composing speeches to him" (The Life, chap. 13).

The second method of watering a garden is by means of a waterwheel to which dippers are attached. As the wheel is turned, the water is poured into a trough that carries the water to the garden. St. Teresa explains that this stage, in which "the soul begins to recollect itself, borders on the supernatural. . . . This state is a recollecting of the faculties within the soul, so that its enjoyment of that contentment may provide greater delight" (The Life, chap. 13)."

There are four ways total. 3 and 4 are up to God. 1 and 2 pave the way. Recollection is a bridge to contemplation, and we can help.