Agnus Dei missa pro defunctis in the Adoremus Hymnal
  • Beth
    I'm wondering why the Adoremus Hymnal version of the Agnus does not have the donna eis requiem at the end. Was this a new mass thing or is it still used?
  • It must be a new mass thing, Beth...unfortunately, singing the requiem agnus dei as a regular thing with the normal text throws a monkey wrench into NO funerals where the mass is chanted...causing confusion among the people in the pews and celebrant.
  • The modern Missal does not use the traditional petition. More distressing is that, when the body is present, received, and blessed before the Mass, the Introductory Rites are dropped (as in similar situations with pre-Mass rituals), and the Kyrie should not be sung. Thus, the intimate link between Requiem Introit and Kyrie is broken. I wonder how many priests insist on this.
  • Beth
    mmm interesting about the Kyrie that did not even occur to me, why the omission I wonder? Perhaps because of the sprinkling rite of the body takes the place?
  • You can discuss all the elements of the actions, and the words that go with them, in the NO Rite of Christian Burial. But the bottom line is that it is no longer a "Requiem" Mass, in that it is just like every other NO Mass - about and for the living people present. Very little is left of prayer for the repose of the soul, much less prayer to accelerate the soul's journey through purgatory to reach heaven. In the EF Requiem Mass, there are no prayers for those present, and no blessing imparted on them. There are other specific differences between the two rites - reasons important enough to me that I do not want a NO funeral Mass - in any language. The substitution of the Agnus Die petitions is not serious enough to confuse the congregation - except that they are already confused by the entire Mass, every Sunday, and probably wouldn't get through it without Missalettes and "liturgist" to guide them!
  • I sympathize. However, you can critique the thing to death (so to speak), but the Church has given us this Mass for the Dead, which makes it a Requiem.
  • Beth
    Thanks Richard, well said