The Future and our Choices
  • NEWSPAPER ARTICLE

Priest sues Reno diocese after dismissal by bishop

A Catholic priest fired from his position at a Zephyr Cove church for seeking a protective order against a deacon after receiving a death threat has sued the Diocese of Reno and Bishop Randolph Calvo.

The Rev. Richard DeMolen, former pastor of Our Lady of Tahoe Church, said in the lawsuit that Calvo forced him to withdraw the protective order and failed to investigate the death threat. Calvo then fired DeMolen, the suit said, and sent a letter to parishioners that contained "false and defamatory statements."

Calvo's actions have caused "emotional distress, mental anguish, humiliation, harm to reputation, embarrassment, loss of enjoyment ... and harm to career," the suit said. Damages were not specified.

DeMolen's lawyer, Jeffrey Dickerson, said the priest also hopes to be reinstated but doesn't know if that's possible given the relationship with Calvo.

"He loves his parish, he loves his job, he loves what he was doing," Dickerson said. "The difficulty is the bishop and whether he'll be in the way of the father's good efforts."

Brother Matthew Cunningham said the diocese does not comment on pending litigation.

David Clohessy, national director of the St. Louis-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said he did not know the particulars of this case but said he supported any efforts "to rein in the often autocratic actions of bishops."

"Sadly, both priests and parishioners in the church are often essentially powerless, while bishops seemingly possess limitless power," he said. "Theoretically, bishops are supposed to report to the Vatican. But practically speaking, each bishop is the lord of his own kingdom and answers to no one."

Although the threat was not signed, DeMolen said it was sent by a deacon in the church. It called DeMolen a "child molesting pervert" and said he should leave the parish.

"It will be well for you to remember the accident that can befall the elderly and their dogs in Tahoe's waters," the threat said.

Restraining order

In response, DeMolen prohibited the deacon from entering church property, including the parking lot, parish hall and rectory and filed for a temporary restraining order.

When Calvo learned of the priest's actions, he sent DeMolen a letter ordering him to revoke the restraining order and said "you should have consulted with me before you took this action."

In a subsequent letter Aug. 14, Calvo said he had warned DeMolen against making any unauthorized moves. Even though he relieved the deacon, the bishop said the deacon remained in good standing with the Catholic Church.

Calvo told DeMolen he should submit his resignation effective in September.

In the suit, DeMolen said he had a right to seek protection from a death threat by seeking a restraining order and said Calvo has not followed canon law in the way he handled the termination of a priest.

He said Calvo has "directly, intentionally and tortiously" interfered with DeMolen's "contractual and prospective economic relationship with the diocese," by using false accusations and "ignoring settled church procedure for such matters."

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091015/NEWS/910150335/Priest-sues-Reno-diocese-after-dismissal-by-bishop
  • Thursday, April 9, 2009
    Priest sues bishop, fellow priests over harm to reputation
    In a lawsuit, Michael Nguyen claims clergy intentionally spread a rumor that he was incompetent.
    By RACHANEE SRISAVASDI
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
    Comments | Recommend
    SANTA ANA – A Roman Catholic priest is suing Bishop Tod Brown, five of his fellow priests and the Diocese of Orange, claiming they have spread lies about him and harmed his reputation.
    Michael Nguyen, who became a diocesan priest in 2003, alleges his fellow clergy intentionally made negative and false statements "about his incompetence as a Roman Catholic priest, about his mental condition, about his background and about his suitability for the position of an ordained Roman Catholic priest,'' according to the lawsuit, which was filed Tuesday in Orange County Superior Court.
    The alleged falsehoods were published among Nguyen's co-workers, including other priests, and parishioners in Southern California and painted a picture of him "as an incompetent priest, as a priest who neglects his performance … as a priest who has mental health problems and is to be isolated and avoided," according to the lawsuit.
    Nguyen, a Vietnamese refugee who moved to the United States in 1981, said he was ordained by Brown on June 7, 2003. He said he was removed from ministry in March 2007 – when he was assigned to St. Joachim's Catholic Church in Costa Mesa. He said he previously served at St. Boniface Catholic Church in Anaheim and St. Joseph Church in Santa Ana.
    "I decided to do this because I have been mistreated,'' Nguyen said. "I want to bring this to a just resolution. My main focus is to get my good name back and to return to ministry."
    Nguyen declined to say why he was removed from ministry, or how he was mistreated, referring questions to his lawyer, Joel Baruch.
    Baruch blamed Brown, saying he personally didn't like Nguyen. "Father Michael is fighting back," Baruch said.
    Baruch said he planned to soon file an amended complaint that would detail more of Nguyen's accusations.
    Ryan Lilyengren, a diocese spokesman, said the diocese has not yet been served with the complaint, and does not comment on pending litigation.
    Besides Brown and the diocese, five priests are defendants, including Vicar General Michael Heher. He also declined to comment, saying that the diocese does not comment on unresolved lawsuits.
    Nguyen's lawsuit has been assigned to Superior Court Judge Geoffrey Glass. Nguyen asks for back wages and unspecified damages, as well as punitive damages from the priests named as defendants.
  • Mr. Z
    Anecdotals - especially those not pertaining to musicians and their pastors, is kinda ??

This is an article with a lot of speculatives, he saids/ she saids, unsigned death threats, not reporting (legitimately, it would seem) to the bishop. Why toss this into the mix? People can sue anyone in this country. Is that news?

Now you have listed another example while I was responding to the first.

I don't think these shed any light on the discussion whatsoever. One sided blurbs from someone's lawyer defending a priest who may indeed be incompetent (or may not) or have mental problems (or may not -who can know this?). I don't think too many bishops are 'out to get' other priests. Just counter to most peoples experience. I have seen bishops removed by Rome when they have not fulfilled their assignments properly.

Again, churches don't absolutely have to have musicians. They are an assist to the priest. Get over it. The priest has the power to hire you or not. You CAN ask for a contract when hired. Do THAT!! Otherwise, with all due respect, please, GET OVER IT.
  • The first article specifically mentions the failure of the bishop to follow canon law.

The second article deals with the spreading of untruths, as has been mentioned in our discussion already.
  • The most disturbing thing about this discussion is the fact that so many people seem to think that 'the priest is the boss and does what he wants, and that's life - get over it'. They are forgetting that there is a moral dimension here - it is sinful to persecute someone because they try their best to follow Church teaching in their work. Also, priests are not the boss according to canon law - they only represent the bishop and are always accountable to him. In the face of priests engaging in sinful behavior, whether it is physical abuse or stealing from parish funds or persecuting staff members for being faithful Catholics by depriving them of a livelihood, we can either say "that's life - tough it out" or we can fight back. It seems like David Andrew was asking how to fight back, practically, and a lot of people on the forum dumped on him for that legitimate question. I'm still interested in the original question. The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
    That said, what is even scarier to me are stories like the two above, where a secular civil court has the power to drain an archdiocese for its actions. I think people fired or defrocked for causing public scandal by their lifestyle are often much more willing to throw lawsuits around than faithful Catholics.
  • Kathy
    Oh yes, the Gospel is all about fighting back and standing up for your rights.
  • Mr. Z
    And to add to what I was saying, do you think the majority in the church, priests especially, are people of ill will?

What sort of "Pyrrhic" victory is won by suing the church? How do you think that improves ones employment chances down the road. Honestly, I am losing respect here for some of these takes. Unbecoming.
  • To clarify, the priest is not just a manager - he is a Christian leader. The decision of who to fire or hire is not merely administrative, it involves moral and ethical reflecton. No priest has the right to perpetrate the objectively sinful act of firing someone because that person believes in obeying the Church (i.e. is a faithful Catholic). He may have the power, but not the right. To say this is just the way things are is like saying child abuse is not worth fighting because fathers have the power to hurt their children. Yes, they do have the power, but not the right. When they perpetrate the act, they should be remonstrated with and eventually prosecuted to the full extent of the law, until they stop the abuse or no longer have access to the children. As Catholics, our spiritual fathers are subject to both civil and spiritual authorities and laws, which they have no right to break. I can't believe how many people on this forum have simply said "that's the way things are, tough it out". It kind of frightens me....
  • Kathy
    I'm sorry, but were we talking about child abuse? No, we were not.
  • Mr. Z
    The priest has the power, AND the right. Just as Peter had the Power and the Right, and those he appointed, the same.

Just such a stretch, the child abuse argument. The priest is the power seat at the parish level. Otherwise, you have parish councils saying what it going to go on, you have liturgy committees dictating how is the liturgy. Get it? If a liturgy committee throws its weight around, it is the abdication of the priest's legitimate say so in this arena. Would you want it the other way around. Who SHOULD say who stays and who goes in the Music department. Some committee? NO THANK YOU!!

Like I said, (and NOBODY responds) get a CONTRACT -- that is your legitimate protection, period. Now please, do get over it.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    [deleted by author]
  • Of ill will, I think few. Let themselves be led by people of ill will. Many. Many, many, many. Too many good people stand back and pray, pacifists in the church who would do well to become active.

Parish councils cannot dictate anything. They are just an advisory group with no power. Liturgy committees can do nothing but report on what people are saying, they cannot run liturgies. Advisory group with not power.

But when people of ill will get into positions that should be advisory, they can be painfully effective.
    [deleted by author]
  • Mr. Z
    "Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, 2 saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do -- "

and he is talking about the Scribes and Pharisees, of whom Jesus had not a good opinion - He goes on to lambaste them (Scribes and Pharisees) directly after this , BUT they sat in the seat of Moses, the seat of authority. Are you getting it? Yet?
  • David has been a member since November 2007, and a valued one.

This is a sad day.
  • Mr. Z
    I am sorry David, the 'get over it' was not aimed at you.. I should choose my words better. I have said that my aim is certainly not to pour salt into anyone's wounds, especially yours. But what can be said to those who refuse to acknowledge the basic foundational principals of authority in the church, and seem to want to, by way of questionable citings, cast aspersions on the church in general. (Again, not you, I would hope, anyway). Are there abusive cops, yes. Should we pull over when they say "pull over," well, I sure would. It is about that fundamental.

Look David, I have been "let go" or forced to resign unjustly. I would think most of us have. But the reality is that that is the position of the "playing field" and lamentations won't move anyone one step closer to the goal line. So, therein lies my frustration with the hand wringing. Just not profitable, and focuses too much attention on the small percentage of priests who are not living up to their calling, perhaps. They are out there, but not the majority by a long shot. Do they have a long way to go with regard to liturgical awareness, absolutely, and that is part of their lack of training. But otherwise, this is the situation and it is what it is. Consider the alternatives as far as lines of authority, give one that works better. I don't think you can.
  • Kathy
    No one is negating your feelings, David.

An old friend of mine sometimes complains about things, and at a certain point I always have to ask: "Are you just venting, or do you want to talk about what you're going to do next?" Because if she's just venting, and I start talking about "reality," the conversation is NOT going to go well.

Is that what's going on here?
    [deleted by author]
  • priorstf
    Lately it seems that better than a quarter of the discussions here degenerate rapidly into personalized assaults, church politics, complaints of mistreatment, hierarchical squabbles, etc. None of it helps the Church and none of it helps the issue of Catholic Music. Could we perhaps start a new category of "Whines" and move all such discussions there? Please?
  • I thought how, as the day had come,
    The belfries of all Christendom
    Had rolled along the unbroken song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
    "There is no peace on earth," I said,
    "For hate is strong and mocks the song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
    "God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
    The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
    With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
    The world revolved from night to day,
    A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
    Of peace on earth, good will to men!
    (Longfellow)

I don't think anyone I'm aware of on this forum would ever choose to do "nothing," so to speak.
    I do think we all have the free will to choose what we say and do.
    I also think there ultimately arrives a moment for each of our individual souls that, pardon the cliche, "WE let go, WE let God." That moment can be recreated temporily, repeatedly and indefinitely, or with a once-and-for-all finality.

We are, at once, commanded to reconcile with each other before approaching the altar, and to turn the other cheek. I choose both.
  • Kathy
    David, I was also pointing out that we're not talking about children.

I'm all for raising the level of respect (and pay!) afforded to musicians by their supervisors in the Church. But what are the means to that end? If someone has a well thought out plan for putting me and my peers in charge of employment law and compensation, I'm all ears.

But wait. Which of my peers? What if the majority of music directors disrespect my credentials? Hmmmm.....
  • CharlesW
    The world of Catholic music is filled with snake pits and traps. I think we all know that. I have been in places where the only thing to do was commend the place to God, and shake the dust from my sandals as I left. My own experience is that it is not worth it to stay in a toxic job. The harm it can do to your mental and spiritual health is unbelievable. There is always a job somewhere that isn't toxic.
  • chonakchonak
    David's example about the significance of "turn the other cheek" is helpful: the gesture isn't just a response based on nonviolence. It's a gesture that tries to expose the reality of wrongdoing -- first of all, to the person doing wrong.

And that's a place to start. The Gospel gives us models of how to deal with disputes and wrongdoing, and they involve exposing the problem: first, to the person who has wronged us; and then to a few people who might be able to influence the wrongdoer; and then to the community.

Yet this "exposure" can't be only an act of public shaming: Christ wants it to be coupled with willingness to take risk, with radical forgiveness, like the act of turning the other cheek.

Personally, I can't imagine myself doing this. If I can't bring myself to remake a broken relationship with someone who blames me unjustly, then these approaches are still "too high for me".
  • Snake pits ad traps.

Why.
  • CharlesW
    I suspect it's because people are people wherever you go. However, it does seem that in some places, people can come together in combinations that produce a chemistry that is wicked. Also, I think Catholic music is schizophrenic in that it doesn't really know what it is or wants to be. Just look at the bishops. When has anyone ever gotten a straight answer from that bunch as to what Catholic music is even supposed to be? It's as if someone has sown confusion in our camp.
  • Mr. Z
    "Snake pits and traps.

Why?"

OK, the reason is that the "me" generations, (not just one anymore) got the novel idea that music in the church should reflect their "taste" (which, many times, means no taste, or bad taste) and desires. We can trace some of this back to a lack over the years of a widespread development or appreciation of a truly beautiful liturgical aesthetic here, somewhat a legacy of an Irish led Catholicism in America. Many Americans just never experienced an aesthetically rich liturgy. So when the modernist liturgy peddlers set out to "inform" the public about new trends, they moved into a partial vacuum with music that appealed to a fair number of folk because of its catchy 'sing songy ness' or it reminded some of the Broadway show music that, again some, loved, or because it was not too "icky' talking about "Blood" and all that, not too challenging, concerning itself with sin and all that, and then this music was further utilized to carry social political agendas, especially vis-a-vis feminist or socially "progressive" movement, and so the adherents of this music opposed the advocates of tradition on several fronts, fitting several profiles:

1. Power grabbers.

Easy music made for easy access the the power seat of music director, liturgical committee/director, cantor, lead guitarist/director, etc., (whereas before one usually was a bona fide organist/ college degreed pro) and sometimes these same folk, also ill informed about liturgical laws, started to construct a church that had virtually nothing to do with what the church had been just a couple of decades prior, and that norm had existed for centuries. These folks are ignorant but somewhat dangerous and can be quite ruthless in their quest to hold on to their "fiefdoms."

2. Modernists.

These hate anything, rightly or wrongly, that says "old." "Old" music is especially odious to them. They don't like hymns, they don't really know enough chant to reject it outright, but if they did they would in all likelihood reject that as well. They want the "Burger King" Church, have it 'YOUR" way (not God's way, Church's way).

3.Sing a New Church-ers:

These folks want a Politically correct, "inclusive" feminist leaning, openly gay friendly, social justice focused church and they want a music to go with it. Probably not opposed to traditional music, per se, based on aesthetics, as long as they can have a fair mix of their kind of church. And please, no Blood, Cross or 'sins'
    songs, unless we sing about the sins of the stingy selfish rich, or something along those line.

4.Miseducated. (passively ignorant).

Those convinced, sometimes at a "liturgy" conference, almost always by one of the groups above, that these new trends are church mandated and quite fitting and proper, and wait till you see how the church is going to look after we finish the new "renovations" we got talked into by someone from the diocese, everyone is going that way, it is the "now" thing to do. Blind led by the blind.

5. Lazy, under educated priests, miseducated priests.

Self explanatory, except to add that a "dumbed down" church seems to them to work to their advantage. IOW, if the people are stupid they may not notice how little I actually do.

6. The Party People

Those whose vision of the church's liturgy is a big festival, the new so called Eucharistic "celebration," of which deeply serious and reflective music has no place.

So, there you have it, the 'all star' list of those who would oppose any persons who actually know a thing or two about what the Church (and therefore, God Himself) actually desires liturgy wise. That is a whole lot of folks with motivation to inflict a good old fashion 'beat down' on those who would try to oppose them by standing up for tradition and resposibility. Sometimes it is just better to get out of these folks way and find more fertile ground for establishing/maintaining good liturgy.
  • Kathy, Mr. Z -

I am aware that this discussion was not about child abuse...I was drawing an analogy between two grave sins. You both continue to hold that there is no moral element in the managerial decisions of a priest. I'll try to spell it out again:

Persecution of staff members because they are faithful Catholics (not on grounds of incompetence or any other legitimate complaints) = grave moral evil, otherwise known as sin.
    No living person, past or present, has the RIGHT to commit a sin. Only the right to ask forgiveness. No pope, bishop, or pastor has any right to sin against God or against his brothers and sisters in Christ. NOBODY has that right.
    For a businessman to commit this injustice against his staff would be egregious and should be fought with every civil law. For a Catholic priest to commit this public sin, with untold ramifications both to the staff member persecuted and to the rest of the flock (who the staff member used to serve), is a hundred times worse.
    As faithful Catholics we have a duty to fight the grave moral evils perpetrated by our clergy. Hopefully this fight will be charitable and take place within the Church as much as possible. However, as is often the case, a sinning clergyman couldn't care less about Church authority...what do we do then?
    For anyone to maintain that clergy have the right to religiously persecute their flock is completely ridiculous. I don't blame David Andrew for reconsidering his membership. But I know that these posts are not representative, thankfully.
    Is anyone interested in discussing the original question, or sharing success stories of ways they have dealt with persecution? That would still be interesting and constructive. I can think of a couple cases where the new priest was not actually of ill will, and ended up being moved and changed by higher ideals in music and liturgy.
  • Mr. Z
    People have the (ontological) 'right' to be wrong. That is what goes with being human. That does not mean a right to 'persecute' anyone, but one person's persecution is another's pastoral vision, now matter how skewed that vision might be, normally speaking, the priest can make absolute decisions about staffing.

No one has defended sinning. No one has defended persecution. I don't know how you cannot draw those distinctions between a pastor's right to hire and fire and outright persecution. It is hard to know, in David's case, where one stops and the other begins because we cannot (and probably should not) know all the facts, and so the lines seem to blur. We cannot condemn what we have no direct knowledge of. So not condemning outright because we have not all the facts does not mean we concur with bad behavior. We are just discussing the lay of the land regarding church hiring and firing practice, and yes, the pastor holds most of the cards. That is just a fact. I offered the idea that one should probably protect oneself going in, on the front end, via contract. That is about all one can do. If there is calumny, there is legal redress, though I am not necessarily advocating that here, but it is a possible option if the offense is that public and that unambiguously egregious.

Other than that, the thread becomes a sort of 'wish listing' of 'what if's' regarding a church policy that would be hard to implement across the board, and if there was a sort of commission set up, for example, someone would fault that for favoring this type of musician over another.

When I was a young buck, just starting out and working in night clubs, the Greek owner of one of my city's preeminent night spots admonished me, after I asked for more money; (he could pay pretty well for the more famous acts, James Brown, Blood Sweat and Tears, Sergio Mendes) he said, "Young man, I don't make you, the people make you." In other words, when the people demand YOU, then you come and ask for more money. They pay the freight. He was dead on, of course. The Bible say 'your gift will make room (demand) for you.' We serve the people, as well as the priest. That can work for us and against us as well. But let us not disparage too much the status quo. It is what it is. If you were Byzantine you might not have a job at all, as organists, pianist, guitarists, are verboten. Accept what is and deal with that accordingly.

The Scripture says 'be wise as serpents.' In Jesus' parable of the dishonest steward, the master praises the 'shrewd' (though dishonest) servant. Super idealism doesn't usually get the job done. And no, no one is advocating dishonesty, but we must live by the rules as we find them, for now. Change is possible, but the Church is, and will be, the Church.

“And his master praised the unrighteous steward because he had acted shrewdly; for the sons of this age are more shrewd in relation to their own kind [literally, “their own generation”] than the sons of light” (Luke 16:8)
  • CharlesW
    For the record, I am Byzantine and I do have a job - too many of them. Librarian, Computer Technology Teacher, Organist, Choir Director, Director of Music .... I think I do have a bit of free time in 2014. ;-)
  • kevinfkevinf
    With all due respect to all of the conversation, which I am sorry has seemed harsh, I take my hat off to you Z for your summary list. That is a good representation of the various strands functioning within the Church.

I have a dear friend who argues it this way: "Conflict comes as a result of unarticulated understandings of what "church" means.
    After careful reflection, I have deleted all of my comments including the original post from this thread. It is my hope that the board can get on with its intended purpose without further controversy.

I thank those who have always engaged in well-reasoned debate and lively discussion about the various issues that concern us as sacred musicians as well as individuals in a unique vocation with unique difficulties and issues we face as lay employees in the Church.

There is much that is disturbing if not downright evil going on both in the Church and in the world, and there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the Evil One chooses his battles carefully, seeking out those who are vulnerable and weak whom he can twist for his foul ends, or those who are strong and threaten his purpose whom he can beat down and fill with fear and defeat.

None of us are immune from these attacks, and I for one am gravely concerned about the future and our choices.
  • priorstf
    Thank you for your choice, David. I hope that others will follow your leadership and help restore the blog to the positive force it can be in the Church at large and to its membership in particular.
  • Mr. Z
    David,

Thank you for asking the tough questions. I presented the 'party line' because that is what I know - though it would be great if there was some real redress for some of this. Unfortunately, we are not living in the age of too many 'visionaries' as far as the artful and godly management of church resources, human especially. The Church in the United States went from a true juggernaut - a power house - full seminaries, full nunneries, religious staffed growing school system, unrivaled hospital system, to a shadow of its old self, a confused divided Church, and yes, the devil had a hand in it, though I hate to mention his name, lest he gain any more notoriety, and ceded a (faux) 'victory' (only temporary, for we know who wins in the end.)

That was all said to concur with the gist of your last post, we are called to serve in a 'topsy turvy' age, where the good is cast out for the 'less good' and sometimes downright evil. So, we still have to fight and we will win, in the end.

I would say there have been some improvements, all has not gone toward the negative. Consider our great pope. The pendulum is swinging back. Also, I thought that the Church had quite a strain of some Jansenist tendencies, and those have lessened somewhat, or maybe a great deal, depending on one's vantage point. The bishops seem to be finding their backbones once again. This forum is a great boon to a lot of folks. The internet is making it harder to present false doctrine as gospel. So, all in all, a lot of good things and they are not in full swing yet.
    So a lot to be hopeful for.