The Future and our Choices
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    [deleted by author]
  • Justice.

And now.

Canon Law.

When a Bishop refuses to correct an unjust action by a priest against a music director, the choir and the congregation, and the Pope, the next step in Canon Law I am told, is to appeal to Rome. It is recommended that a Canon Lawyer prepare the case. I am sure that a legal defense fund could quickly be assembled.

[you may be as surprised as I was to learn that the training for a Bishop consists of a two-week Bishop's School in Rome. Please correct me if I am wrong]

[I have contacted the Canon Law group that was mentioned here on the list and they have failed to respond.]
  • Kathy
    OK.

For a long time I've been wanting to start a thread called DIPLOMACY.

When your pastor makes demands, you can either a) stay or b) go. If you stay, you stay as his staff member. HE'S IN CHARGE. If you go, go peacefully. Don't blog about it. Don't make a big stink about it all over the internet. Musicians want to be treated with dignity. Guess what: SO DO PASTORS. And PASTORS are in charge of parishes, according to Canon Law.

There is a currently employed music director who is currently snarking about his current boss on his 100% identifiable blog. DUH. Who would ever want to work with someone who blogs employment disputes in real time?

Are there ways and means of redress? Few! The pastor is in charge! That's the deal!! Be a musician, keep your cool, choose your battles, take your lumps. You knew the job was dangerous when you took it. ACCEPT REALITY. Serve God but don't think you're the prophet from Judea just because you know square notes.

(Here endeth the admittedly undiplomatic rant)
  • Kathy,

Canon Law, justice. Bishops, Cardinals, the Pope are in charge of the pastor.

It is the military chain of command. Not the Baptist, "we are on our own and do what we like and you are welcome to leave at any time."

It is church policy that pastors act on their own, but there are steps in canon law that they must follow in making pastoral decisions. If they fail to take the steps that canon law require, then the decisions that they make may and must be challenged.

To be rude about this, you don't seem to have a clue about commitment to the Pope. None of us are doing this against priests.

And where do you get the idea that laboring in a church was dangerous?
  • Kathy
    Noel,

The Pope appoints the bishop. The bishop appoints the pastor. The pastor is in charge because the bishop wants it that way and the bishop is in charge because the Pope wants it that way. Canon law gives a very full authority to the pastor.

The pastor cannot dismiss members of the parish capriciously, but there is much less protection for staff. Staff supports the mission of the parish, which is guided by the pastor according to his best lights. If the staff can't support the pastor's sense of the parish mission, then...
  • And if the lights are dim or faulty, that's when canon law kicks in and staff file for recourse with the Bishop...and if that fails, then with Rome.

If a pastor is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, are his decisions to be trusted?

If a pastor is comes under the influence of people of ill will, are his decisions to be trusted?

If a pastor comes under the influence of people of wealth, are his decisions to be trusted?

Every bit of authority granted a pastor carries with it an equal responsibility.

Your attitude conveys the impression that we are mere lay people who must bow to the pastor, no matter what. If that it your opinion, say so, but do not project that upon any of us.
    [deleted by author]
  • Noel,

I'm with Kathy on this one. Discounting perhaps some rare instance when the pastor was certified as being bonkers, have you ever experienced a successfull appeal using canon law? There have been many appeals in the Boston area these past few years regarding parish closings. A couple have remained open, but I can't think of any that actually "won" via legal decision. When judicial action against the clergy has been successful, it was through the instigation of the Attorney General's office and we all know what that was about.

Oddly, this is one of those areas that both traditional and progressive Catholics seem to agree. Accountability, transparency, and fairness should be part of the parish workplace. That may someday be a reality, but it probably won't come about through appeal to canon law.
  • CharlesW
    Sometimes it is best to flee a toxic situation. Unless the pastor is taken out by a speeding truck, things probably won't get better.
  • Philip C. L. Gray writes:

"The tremendous gift of freedom God gave us demands responsibility and proper use. To foster such
    responsibility requires right order and conduct and has required this even before sin. Sin entered the world
    because of disobedience to a command of God. Death entered the world because of lawlessness. When the
    only law God gave Adam was struck down, death became the consequence for us all. As attested to
    throughout scripture and remaining the same today, we must choose to follow the Lord and all His
    commands and so live, or forsake Him in disobedience to His commands and die in sin. In short, we are
    known by the acts we perform. If we live in chaos and darkness, our father is Satan; if we live in right order
    and obedience to God’s laws, we will share heaven’s glory as sons of God. (Lk. 6:45; Jn.8: 34-51)

Because the right use of laws and right order in society protect us from sin and encourage the grace of
    salvation, those in authority must use their authority wisely. Particularly in the Church, ecclesiastical laws
    can be a great blessing to the faithful if promulgated and enforced in a spirit of love and service. When
    authorities in the Church abuse their God given authority by ignoring the true needs of their people or
    closing their minds to the voice of God, their authority and laws become burdensome and lead to dissent and
    chaos. Several times after the Israelites left Sinai, certain men rose up to take the lead of the people and led
    them to sin. They did not doubt the law given on Sinai, they did not disbelieve the power of God. They were
    simply selfish and proud men with care more for themselves than for the People of God. For this reason they
    and those that followed them perished at the hands of God. (Num. 14:1-38, 16)

It is not enough to have proper and good authority and laws, it is necessary as well that we follow them.
    Without laws to guide us, we are susceptible to our own imaginations and passions. As is evident in our
    world, one person’s imagination and desires differ greatly from another’s, thus causing chaos and conflict.
    Laws that govern proper living and regulate human affairs protect against chaos and conflict, thus protecting
    us from sin and death. If we are disobedient to the laws of justice, we could tempt our superiors to sin and
    fall prey to the curse of Adam. If we remain obedient for love of God and love of neighbor, we receive the
    fruits of the Tree of Life, Who is Christ Himself.

In conclusion, it would do us well to pray for those in authority. It is a well-known fact that those in
    authority are not free from sin. In both civil and ecclesiastical societies, some leaders live in corruption and
    violate the laws of God. Many laws they establish do not promote the Divine laws by which we were
    created.Within the Church, some in authority pay lip service to canon law and promote dissent by their own
    actions and attitudes. When decisions are made without proper consideration of the people they serve, they
    violate the necessary respect due each person. In short, lawful authority loses credibility in the absence of
    love and without witness to a desire for service of others. We have all witnessed this. Some of us have
    experienced it. Likewise, we lose credibility when we wrongfully disobey lawful authority. Mother Church
    recognizes the right to question lawful authority and decisions made (cf. Canon 221 of the Code of Canon
    Law and Canon 24 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches). If we follow the laws of the Church, we
    remain obedient to lawful authority and protect our conscience.
    Just as Adam’s fall led to the demise of all
    men, so does the fall of lawful authority lead to the demise of the people served. Let us pray for those in
    authority, that they will lead us to salvation by example and word. Let us pray for each other, that we might
    remain obedient servants of God. In this way, may we live in peace.

This first appeared in the July 9, 1997 issue of Christifidelis, the newsletter of the St. Joseph Foundation

http://www.catholiccanonlaw.com/
    Philip C. L. Gray
  • Kathy
    David, I may well be speaking from painful experience.

There are compromises and compromises. Compromise the truth? No. Compromise my preferences? Yes, and that's actually good for me.
  • Has Benedict said, "Close the churches."

Has Benedict said, "Ban the guitars."

What has Benedict said.
    [deleted by author]
  • Mr. Z
    Kathy is not being unsympathetic, she is stating things as they are. We have a hierarchical church, period. Should pastors be wise, judicious servants of the people. Yes. Are they always, no. Perhaps the defense is a long term contract that is hard to get out of from the church's standpoint. But other than that, say ouch and keep moving. I think we have to continue to pray for the pope and his initiatives to restore order and dignity to the liturgy. Sorry not to chime in with more sunny news. I wish I could. But one would think that there is a pastor waiting somewhere for a good musician. What if that pastor fired 'Bob Hehrd' to hire YOU. Would you complain about heavy handedness then? Perhaps not.
  • Kathy
    Noel, do you realize that you questioned my loyalty to the Pope at the beginning of this thread? And that now you are repeating that very much mistaken and insulting notion now? Cut it out.

I'm taking rather giNORmous steps in my local situation to implement the Holy Father's liturgical vision. But I'm doing it in the concrete circumstances God has given me.

By the way, not only do I think that pastors are in charge, but that they should be. The problems start when everyone wants to be his/ her own little magisterium.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Has Benedict said, "Ban the guitars."

Well, the first one after the Council to suggest it was Bugnini ...

Documents On The Liturgy 1963-1979 Conciliar, Papal, and Curial Texts (pages 129-133)
    DOL 37 (29 December 1966) SC Rites, Press Conference
    Annibale Bugnini regarding the Declaration of 29 December 1966
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1504#Item_18
    [deleted by author]
  • I stand with Kathy as well. Nothing has really changed in terms of real politik since the days of Hassler, Pierluigi and (gasp) Bach. Will haven't the time to righteously beg the court's attention to be served notice. We are servants of the maidservant of the Liturgy, as well as everything and everybody else. To believe and act otherwise will more than likely be regarded by ALL as spitting into the wind. How does that improve any local situation?
    Good last line, Kathy. I stifle a slight chuckle everytime a member of the omniscient lay magisterium slams headlong into the buttress that is a pastor's whim or personal preference. I smile because I've suffered that insane compunction a thousand times in 40 years.
  • eft94530eft94530
    What is our future? What are our choices?

Has anyone looked for "friends" among the USCCB?
    Has anyone looked thoroughly through the USCCB newsletters/documents?

I have Thu eve choir rehearsal in moments.
    I will locate and post supporting material on Friday.
  • Kathy
    David,

The practical question deserves an answer.

My sense is that reputations are not lasting or even very far-reaching, and that people believe what they see. Regarding musicians, they believe what they hear. If you're aces on the organ, you will land a job, unless you obviously appear difficult to the person(s) hiring.

People believe what they see.
  • GavinGavin
    I've been at it for 7 years now, and my inexperience tells me every word Kathy's said has been true. CharlesW said it best: flee a toxic situation. I applied for a position at an LCMS church with a choir and a fine pipe organ. I was offered it, and offered a comfortable salary several times what they have ever paid for a musician. And yet I turned it down, because I remembered in the interview they said that they wanted to grow this parish, and they wanted a "contemporary" service (Which I explicitly said I had not the talent or the desire to assist in). So, when the church doesn't double in size in a year, who will they blame? The guy making the archaic music and taking all their money. So I ran from that job, I ran from the church with the watered-down evangelical spirituality, and I run from any Catholic job with Mr. Microphone and a GIA hymnal. My current job has its downsides, but since I want it, I follow the orders of my boss to the letter. Isn't it really that simple? If you have a good job, follow the dictates of your boss, if you don't, then find a new one.

"Serve God but don't think you're the prophet from Judea just because you know square notes."
    Brilliant!
  • Mr. Z
    David,

You have made some valid, 'where we live,' truthful observations about a truly discouraging set of circumstances, and I am sure no one here would mean to invalidate or make light of that which is your reality, and most of ours as well, and I think some folk's experiences would lead them to believe that really the best you can do is shake the dust off and keep moving. I also feel that a hierarchical church is the proper model as given us by Christ. That doesn't lessen the sting, necessarily.

Contracts can be of help, though I have most often worked on a handshake basis, as I don't want to be where I am not wanted. This perhaps shortsighted philosophy of mine does not really take into account all possibilities during the course of one's employment, change of leadership being the obvious example, so again, a tightly constructed contract allowing for a buyout or generous severance is about as good as it is going to get as far as staving off some of these type of blows in my experience.

I echo Kathy's idea that the reputation part should not be so much a concern. Church people themselves know the 'human' side of all of this and how perfectly good candidates are often let go for political or other concerns that are not so lofty or praiseworthy, to put it generously. Also, sometimes the pastor's vision is just different from the musician's, or the musician may not fit into that vision comfortably. All of this you already know, but this is, in the end, his prerogative so we must live with that.

I WOULD like to see a discussion about an exploratory initiative concerning the formation of a church musician's union. (I am short on history here, so maybe go easy on your humble servant if this has been tried before and often) This would help in creating better salaries and working conditions as well as structuring guidelines concerning the hiring and termination of musicians. I know there is an organist guild but I don't have much knowledge as to the scope of what they do. But this proposed idea would be for all musicians. Anyway, this would move toward a more 'proactive' type solution towards avoiding some of these awful occurrences.

Sorry again David to hear about what sounds like a painful experience. I hope there might be some small helpful 'something' in my ideas.
    [deleted by author]
  • don roy
    ive had my own run in with a "pastor with issues" and my subsequent fireing left me without any real redress. to complain marks one and does negatively impact future employment. i also once worked at a small liberal diocese where my employement with the latin mass marked me as unfit for the cathedral post that made itself available a couple of years ago. my application was rejected and other way less compitent people including a guitar toting ameture with comfortable shoes made the cut instead.
    the reality for most of us is as kathy described it i think. its unfair its wrong but its a reality we eather deal with or be consumed by.
    [deleted by author]
  • Kathy
    David, I think the best plan is to find a new, good situation in Church music.
  • miacoyne
    Mr. Andrew, I wanted to congratulate on your half day seminar that you posted earlier in the another thread. It sounded wonderful, and your pastor seemed to be very supportive of what you are doing...? I hope you are not having a hard time in your parish.
  • chonakchonak
    I don't think canon law offers any recourse to correct pastors with misguided approaches to music.

The Code of Canon Law goes out of its way to state that it does not address liturgical matters. In general, the canons that deal with the liturgy are about (a) minimum conditions for sacramental validity and (b) who has the right to receive or confer a sacrament. Church music and musicians are not even mentioned.

Liturgical norms are a separate part of church law, and there's no court system to adjudicate disputes about them: one can only appeal to the pastor to do the right thing, and after that inform the bishop and the Pope (via CDW).

So I'm having a hard time thinking of any canons in the Code on which one could make a case against a wrongful dismissal.
  • What has the church actually done to implement what Benedict has asked for?

There are those here that have acted.

But what has come down as an official word from Rome, through the Cardinals then the Bishops the priests and to us and the people?

Nothing. Which makes everything that we do suspect to some.

I know of priests who have taken this movement to heart but have been struck dumb by their bishops, who know only STTL.

For a program of renovation of the musical liturgy you need a young or very old priest who does not have aspirations of achieving higher office in the church but does desire bringing the possibilities of solemn liturgy to the people after years of partying in the church rather than worship.

Hymns must be banned from the Mass and reserved for liturgical functions outside of Mass as they have been historically by the church. Every time they have crept into the Mass it has been done by the people, not by the Church. Return the Mass to being fully of the true words of the scripture, permit a Sequence hymn on occasion and leave it at that.

Sing hymns during the Office, at Novenas and Prayer Services.

The Mass must no longer be social work and instead return to being work for the soul.
    This thread is being confounded by two different issues.

Let me clarify, I am not talking about liturgical abuse or differences of opinion regarding the liturgy and music of the Church that make our work unpleasant or difficult.

I am talking about employment law, issues of hostility in the workplace, fraudulent inducement of resignations and violations of the Code of Canon Law involving calumny, rush to judgment and other grave moral errors that assault one's reputation and good name. These are serious issues that are separate and apart from those being raised by Frogman, as important as they are.

What use is it for us to even have contracts, letters of agreement, employment PAP manuals and statements from diocesan HR offices and bishops extolling the benefits of just employment and the dignity of work, etc., if laity are repeatedly subjected to inappropriate and harmful treatment at the hands of pastors, and in the final analysis the Church will always circle the wagons to protect their own, even if guilty of committing grave moral errors in the process?
    miacoyne,

Thank you for the kind words! And rest assured, my current employer is a generous, holy man and the parish is kind and friendly.
  • chonakchonak
    For Noel: with Abp. Gus DiNoia appointed as secretary of CDW, this is a good opportunity to communicate with somebody in Rome about big-picture issues in a reform agenda, e.g.:

1) All seminarians must be trained to sing the Mass fully in OF and EF according to the respective Graduale Romanum editions.
    2) Same for new bishops.
    3) Norms for hymnals and worship aids must require that plainchant be treated as the first choice.
    4) Parish music directors are to be knowledgeable in the use of the GR, GS, and vernacular counterparts. (This might be waived for non-parishes: e.g., missions.)

For David: Thanks for getting us back on focus. Does anyone know what the Church has written about the treatment of lay employees and collaborators in pastoral ministry? I don't know much about it. I guess church musicians are considered "lay ecclesial ministers", but is that term authentic: i.e., does Rome ever use it?
  • I agree with chonak regarding Archbishop DiNoia. With regards to CDW, there could not be a better opportunity to bring these issues forward to the Archbishop.

As I look at it, proceeding with canonical lawsuits is not an effective way to seek the broader changes that are needed. A better point would be for a sympathetic Cardinal to send Abp. DiNoia and CDW a dubia with these sacred music propositions outlined. The judgement from CDW is one way to approach the question of law.

The ideal answer would be the preparation of actual texts that could be inserted into the 'new' Code of Canon Law. Were the Holy Father to write an Apostolic Consitution on Sacred Music and the Sacred Liturgy inclusive of these issues and a proposed addition to Canon Law, then we would have about as an ideal result as possible.

The final point is that Archbishop DiNoia and our Holy Father are precisely the individuals to bring about much needed definition, authorisation, and change in these areas.
  • Thank you, Vincent and I do apologize for changing the subject, David.
  • chonakchonak
    These canons look relevant to the concerns David mentioned:

Can. 220 No one is permitted to harm illegitimately the good reputation which a person possesses nor to injure the right of any person to protect his or her own privacy.

Can. 221 §1. The Christian faithful can legitimately vindicate and defend the rights which they possess in the Church in the competent ecclesiastical forum according to the norm of law.

[...]

Can. 223 §1. In exercising their rights, the Christian faithful, both as individuals and gathered together in associations, must take into account the common good of the Church, the rights of others, and their own duties toward others.

[...]

Can. 231 §1. Lay persons who permanently or temporarily devote themselves to special service of the Church are obliged to acquire the appropriate formation required to fulfill their function properly and to carry out this function conscientiously, eagerly, and diligently.

§2. Without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 230, §1 and with the prescripts of civil law having been observed, lay persons have the right to decent remuneration appropriate to their condition so that they are able to provide decently for their own needs and those of their family. They also have a right for their social provision, social security, and health benefits to be duly provided.
    [deleted by author]
  • don roy
    all this is well and good but in the end if the pastor doesnt want you, your history. there is no effective redress. should there be? oh yes but there isnt .

there was a custom in episcopalian churches that when a new pastor came on board the entire staff tendered their resuignations to be accepted or not.

my 15 years of a vagabond church career has sent me to 5 different churches. not one position kept the choral tradition i sought so hard to establish. all of those choirs have pretty much folded.

what this tells me is that lay employees, particularly church musicians serve at the pastors pleasure and that wont realistically change anytime soon.
    If the views people are expressing here regarding the authority of the leadership of the Church versus Canon Law and the Catechism are the reality, then the Church deserves the ridicule and shame heaped upon her.

I understand that man is sinful and subject to the Fall, and with it the tendency to corruption. But, if Holy Church cannot effectively preserve her moral foundations and govern the behavior of her leaders by way of Canon Law and the Catechism, how can any of us expect the moral pronouncements of Holy Church in the public square in other matters of morals (right to life from natural birth to natural death, for example) be taken seriously or have any impact?

The more I reflect on the "sit down, shut up, take your lumps, there's no avenue for redress which is wrong, but it's what we have to accept" mentality, the more disgusted I get. And not with those who say these things. This mentality is shared with victims of physical, sexual and emotional abuse who are so crippled with fear and defeat that they cannot effectively challenge their abuser. The abuser counts on this and plays the fear and sense of defeat for all it is worth. That's what's so reprehensible about all of this.

If we "can't fight city hall" on matters of real justice and charity, then Satan has already prevailed. The gates have been stormed and the Enemy is in possession of the fortress.
  • Kathy
    It's not great; in a fallen world things are going to be "not great" quite a lot of the time. And it's not JUST the Church, by the way. Whistleblowers in almost every employment situation suffer.

But I think that it's better this way , FOR MUSICIANS. If my boss is the pastor, the lines of accountability are clearly defined. I can get to know the pastor quickly, understand his preferences, quirks, red flags, etc., and either choose to stay or choose to leave. That's a fairly well defined process.

If on the other hand the pastor is accountable to different people regarding his staff, the lines of accountability are quite unknowable. One gets lost in a tangle of levers and pulleys--who is putting pressure on the pastor now? I don't know! To whom am I accountable? God, yes. The Pope, yes, the bishop, the pastor, yes. But who else??? What is going on???

A hierarchical structure places all the authority in one person, who, if he's a bleep-ditty-bleep, I'm not going to work for. That's pretty easy to figure out. But if he's an okay guy and reasonable and in line with the magisterial direction of things, I'd rather answer to him than to a vague mass of person or persons unknown. A vestry model, I would not like, for example.
    Kathy, with respect you are unfortunately very misinformed in this matter.

In the Catholic Church, "work relationships" between the laity and the Church are governed not by the Pastor, but by the archdiocese and only managed by the pastor. The "buck" as it were does not stop with the pastor in the scheme of business operations for the Catholic Church, and the pastor IS accountable, or is supposed to be, to the bishop and to the PAPs established by him and the diocese. He is a supervisor in employment matters, like middle management.

In the corporate world if a middle manager did not properly engage in the workplace dispute process, he would lose his job and risk exposure to civil penalties under the law.

The Church is governed by Canon Law and disciplined by the Catechism. The work relationship in most dioceses is governed by a document that regulates and provides for avenues of discipline and grievance procedures that cites for its basis moral principles bound in conscience and codified by Canon Law and the Catechism. When the Church ignores its own rules or indeed its moral foundations and principles, it enfeebles its own credibility and makes a mockery of the very morals it attempts to demonstrate to the world.

I refer to a quote by a noted canonist, from Frogman's posting above, emphasis mine:

Within the Church, some in authority pay lip service to canon law and promote dissent by their own
    actions and attitudes. When decisions are made without proper consideration of the people they serve, they
    violate the necessary respect due each person. In short, lawful authority loses credibility in the absence of
    love and without witness to a desire for service of others.
    We have all witnessed this. Some of us have
    experienced it. Likewise, we lose credibility when we wrongfully disobey lawful authority. Mother Church
    recognizes the right to question lawful authority and decisions made (cf. Canon 221 of the Code of Canon
    Law and Canon 24 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches). If we follow the laws of the Church, we
    remain obedient to lawful authority and protect our conscience.
  • don roy
    david
    unfortunatly you are spot on in your next to last post. I had one position where i was denide raises because i was "already paid too much" according to diocesan schedules and that it would be "unjust" to give me a raise . nevermind that the pay scale was for the depressed eastern end of the state not for the more affluent (read expensive to live in) capital city and that that scale hadnt been updated in 20 plus years. the blank stare i got from the nun who presented this case when i told her that no one with a family could possibly live on such a salary.
    so yes...the church has a big problem in this area.
  • Kathy
    Like I said, I'd rather have a single boss.

The pastor knows your hours, your quality, your knowledge, your leadership, your responsiveness to the community, etc etc. Diocesan scales cannot measure these things.
  • Mr. Z
    "If the views people are expressing here regarding the authority of the leadership of the Church versus Canon Law and the Catechism are the reality, then the Church deserves the ridicule and shame heaped upon her."

David,

This is not new. (And Kathy is on terra firma) You cannot have a strong pastorship in our churches without their having the right to hire and fire whom they deem fit to serve in that particular parish. They may manage (only), as you say, but that management includes, almost carte blanche ability to hire and fire.
    Since the job, inherently, is a 'people' position, as well as a skill position, there is just no way the bishop could, even if he wanted to, have the day to day information needed to assess your performance of the first category especially, i.e., people skills.

You have said we are talking about two things, calumny, which is slander and addressable through legal challenge, and hiring and firing. You want to say you are most upset about the former, then you most loudly protest, in effect, the latter.

[I mean, what is it you want? Your job back,(but why? where there is so much strife?) monetary compensation, the pastor fired, your pound of flesh, just what? If you have indeed been slandered, go to the bishop and try to get redress and if that is not sufficient you have legal channels available.]

Then you claim the "Church" herself is the villain.

[This, from what you have let on, indeed, sounds like more of a spiritual warfare going on.]

The Church is in a mess for a number of reasons, the lack of obedience being the first which echoes in our liturgies, which informs and and forms us, the body. So, fix the liturgy and you fix the church. Find a church worthy of your gifts, if indeed you have much to offer. By worthy, I mean fertile ground, where the pastor actively wants serious and orthodox liturgies. I have been there, believe me, but you just look for the next opportunity, and usually it is a better one. God may WANT you to go somewhere else, did you ever think of that? Musicians, artists, get stale in one place. Comfortable is sometimes our enemy. Keep your chin up and keep going, don't keep looking back like Lot's wife.

None of us has a "right" to a job in the church. We serve at the pleasure of the church and that authority, like it or not, is held at the pastor level. I would not think this would be news. Feel blessed you have the sort of opportunity that you have. In the Eastern Rite, those jobs such as it sounds like you have (or had, but will have again) are rare indeed.
  • don roy
    the personal musical taste of the pastor shouldnt really have a bearing on wether a music director is hired or fired. it does. that is not the same thing as a pastors commitment to quality staff and his ability to hire and fire.
    when one is the victim of a pastor crossing the line there is nothing much the musician can do.that is the central idea in this post.
    it is unjust unfair and contrary to the churches own commitmenmt to social justice.
    its called hypocracy.
  • Canon Law requires three steps in decision-making by a pastor. If any of the three steps taken are not validly performed then the decision can be brought forward for recourse by the Bishop, or if he decides...after taking the same three steps...not to - or if he also fails to follow the three steps - recourse may then be asked of Rome.

Lay people who serve the church have a right to a job in the church. Those who do not serve the church, like pastors who do not serve the church, do not.

When a person is removed from a position of authority in the church it raises questions, questions that if not answered or are answered by expressions of ill-will can be harmful to the individual and the church.

Are you still beating your wife?
  • Kathy
    "Lay people who serve the church have a right to a job in the church. Those who do not serve the church, like pastors who do not serve the church, do not."

This statement is so far removed from reality that I hardly know what to say.

I will say this: my heart goes out to David. Noel, and others who have been badly treated by pastors in the Church. There are few more painful experiences in this life.

"The sword falls with double and treble force externally when, without cause being given, there breaks out from within the Church persecution in spiritual matters, where wounds are more serious, especially when inflicted by friends.

This is that enviable and blessed cross of Christ, which Andrew, that manly saint, received with joyful heart; the cross in which alone we must make our boast, as Paul, God's chosen instrument, has told us." http://rminrc.blogspot.com/2009/01/feast-of-st-raymond-of-penyafort.html
    [deleted by author]
  • What he said. Man's articulate.
  • "The pastor knows your hours, your quality, your knowledge, your leadership, your responsiveness to the community, etc etc. Diocesan scales cannot measure these things."

I agree, but only if he has proven that he CAN read minds.
  • Kathy
    In every staff situation, it is up to the subordinate to communicate activities to the supervisor. For chirch musicians, some things will be evident on Sundays. For the rest, communication is necessary.
  • David, I can certainly empathize with people tarnishing one's reputation. It is wrong, period. In an above post you stated that your current employer is a 'generous, holy man and the parish is kind and friendly'. So I'm glad that the injustice you reportedly suffered hasn't prevented you from finding a good situation.

The liturgical division that exists now also works to the advantage of (competent) musicians on board with the magisterial direction. The savvy thing to do for us is, like Kathy and others observe, to avoid or leave nasty situations asap. Its also good to network in the CMAA and any like-minded organizations. A new crop of priests and bishops are wanting musicians like us. If we have the necessary musical AND people skills, doors will continue to open.

As far as a protocol for redress, isn't it possible to contact HR at the chancery, at least for starters? It might be a good idea to present dubia, etc., but you can't tell me the Pope doesn't know things like this. I happen to know a few tradition-minded priests and one very good bishop a little, and I can attest that the battle inside the Church right now is more severe for the average ordained than for the average musician. I say this not to wipe away grave error, only to gain perspective.

So, prudently pursue justice, but do not let not your heart be troubled. Frankly, this type of [crapola] is proof that, if the Church hasn't been destroyed after centuries of foolish behavior (alongside wonderful achievements and miraculous events), She must be of divine origin and totally under God's protection.