PBEH: Bring Flowers of the Rarest
  • CharlesW
    As I have said before, I have only heard BFOR once per year, at most, at school May crownings. I had to go online to get a copy for the program, since it is not in any hymnals I own. I won't lose any sleep over it either way. I just hope this hymnal is not so stilted that many will never use it. I don't like "Amazing Grace," either, but program it about 4 times a year for the influential folks in the parish who do. They get "Amazing Grace" occasionally, and I get to do better music the rest of the time. As trade-offs go, that's not bad.
  • I will make one comment. Mary Mezzo ---- the bloomin' thing? Intentional or just a cowslip?
  • miacoyne
    I don't really have much thing to say about hymns, non-liturgical hymns. (Too many different ideas, opinions and preferenceses. Maybe this is why the hymns are not part of the Mass.) But I do hope this hymnal project will help many parishes, not just by setting a stepping stone to free hymns, but also for parishes to work towards sacred music with higher standard both in music and texts that truly lift our spirit with their beauty.
  • francis
    1 I have deep devotion to OL.
    2 I compose music for her often.
    3 True devotion to Mary is not well represented in this hymn
    4 My comments are expressed in such a fashion to make it clear that I strongly feel it is a mistake to publish this and other similar matter.

I am just presenting my thoughts and reasoning as this project is moving very quickly along. I like to think and reason things through with much deliberation and the weight of these decisions, it seems to me, are being decided much too quickly. Hence, the tone of my post. I hope that better clarifies my position.

JT:

If my previous comment (concerning the ditties) are unacceptable to this forum, please inform me here and I will gladly retract it.
  • Maureen
    There used to be a poetry collection called something like "Heart Songs". Some magazine (Reader's Digest maybe?) called for nominations, ran a poll from that, and printed up the top 200 or so. I think they did the same thing for songs, and another one for hymns. It was a very mixed bag, but it was a good measure of songs people liked. But that's not the way you normally run a hymnbook, is it? Hymnbooks are for use, not for popularity contests. I don't think it's killing anybody to say, "Look, let's set these aside for another day", or "You can make your own hymnal, or print these up for yourself." It's public domain.

If it's a song that's only sung once a year at May Crowning, would it actually make sense to have it in the all-year hymnbook, taking up space? Or wouldn't it be smarter to make up copy sheets of your May Crowning Marian pieces? I mean, sheesh, are you really planning to have the kids haul the hymnbooks outside church? (If it rains? If it's muddy? Who does that? Whose pastors would let them?)

The beauty of public domain is that it's not dependent on publishing companies, even on CMAA. It is infinitely customizable.

If it actually would freak out more people by leaving it out than by putting it in, sure, put it in. But I've only heard the song sung once in my entire life, and I don't think it was ever a fixture in this neck of the woods. (My fore-Catholics apparently sung the Lambillotte song instead, "On This Day, O Beautiful Mother", which I was apparently programmed before birth to think is very pretty and harmonizable and nice. Since I heard it for the first time just a few years back.)

I don't think I'm helping the editors much with my comments for the hymn threads, frankly. But there's never going to be a super-perfect hymnal which will only include stuff everybody loves and finds beautiful, and which doesn't include anything that anybody finds lame. I think the editors should take suggestions seriously for adding songs, not take suggestions too seriously for subtracting songs, and ultimately just sit down with the batch of songs they've got and figure out a good mix of styles, tempos, and theological concepts (as if putting together a really long album or set list). Everything else gets saved for Volume II. :)
  • comment deleted
  • From Kathy: "The hymnal is going to have 250 hymns, right? "

Is that all JT? Really? The Hymnal 1940 has 600, not counting Psalms, Canticles, or Communion Settings, much less the late supplement that added another 75 or so. Even Worship II has 300. I doubt that 250 would even cover actual Office Hymns. And, before they were axed, there were over 5,000 Sequences - and they were "hymns" within the Mass!

Just 250? Is all we can come up with.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would leave this one out - there's far better and until all of the better Marian ones are in, let's leave out the lower-quality ones.
  • I don't know the final number but I feel no strong desire to create hymn mania. I mean, in our own parish, we have perhaps 20 hymns in the missalette that are usable. We get by just fine.
  • The philosophy behind the choice of texts and tunes for a hymnal should be no different than that behind Graduale Romanum or The American Gradual. What is in the book should be only what one would seriously recommend for liturgy (and hymns, while not preferred, Are legal) or even for extra-liturgical events. It makes little sense to put something rather low in a book which one wishes to be taken seriously and then suggest that it shouldn't be used - it shouldn't be there in the first place.

And, has anyone noticed what an irony it is that a song entitled 'Bring Flowers of the Rarest' is actually far, far, from the rarest of fiori musicali?
  • comment deleted
  • chonakchonak
    Well, there are office hymns, which are a liturgical form; also sequences for the Mass; but neither of these is a straightforward model for the SATB hymn form that developed in -- when? the 1500s?
  • miacoyne
    Office hymns, sequences and other hymns that are parts of Mass we sang at Mass are liturgical, because our Church adopted as Her official liturgical hymns. Litrugical prayers are not the same as private prayers and prayers for common. I think all the hymns, or at least most of the hymns we discuss here are remained as hymns by individuals yet, their private prayers, so the disagreement goes on and on. And most local parishes would be using them in Mass.

Also about the tunes, I see the different styles of entertainment music try to influence the sacred music throughout the history, and our Holy Church tried to safegaurd sacred music from them. The pop style we have now wasn't there back then, but something else. And it might not be there when our next generation have to deal with promoting sacred music. Does that make the style of praise band and Haas' acceptable in the next generation? If not, why? Is there something else we need to consider for sacred music to be truly sacred?
  • Chrism
    As far as numbers of hymns and quotas, we would do well to remember St. Louis de Montfort's saying, "De Maria Nunquam Satis".

A traditional parish would not find 25% Marian content to be excessive. The English hymns section of the 1918 St. Basil is 32.4% Marian (67 hymns out of 207). Marian hymns are among the best-known.

But even going with the low 10% quota--25 hymns--this could include maybe 5 hymns particular to the month of May, of which 1 or 2 could be Crowning Hymns. As I wrote earlier, there are 52 Sundays in a year--so 250 hymns would mean 4-5 hymns per Sunday--and there are four or five Sundays in May, one which has a May Crowning.
  • francis
    Note: My previous inflammatory comment was removed because I totally support the work of CMAA and its effort to assemble an excellent hymnal and do not wish to cast a shadow on the work. However, this does not change my opinion on which hymns are fitting for the project. Thank you.
  • Kathy
    I just want to second Francis regarding support for the hymnal project. Obviously Noel and Jonathan are moving mountains here, and no matter what questions are raised about particulars, none of this detracts from my deep appreciation for their dedicated work.
  • Maureen
    I'm also totally behind whatever we get.

I haven't been trying to be inflammatory. I'm sorry if I'm being too airy about this stuff we've been discussing. I'm used to using a hymnal that has about 5 or 10 Marian songs if you're lucky, and I guarantee none of them was any of the ones we've discussed! :) I first heard "Panis Angelicus" in 1990 on that TV show Nothing Sacred, in the most liturgically abusive TV setting one could imagine. My personal idea of the olden, olden days is Missalettes from 1974, which is about as far back as I can remember. So honestly, I have only the vaguest idea what's dear to people from before then, and that mostly garnered from a spate of reading Fr. Greeley's novels. If I step on anyone's toes, it's not on purpose. Really.
  • Yes, that's right, and I really don't want to dampen the sense of freedom and honesty in exchanges here. I would only caution people not to make demands and issue ultimatums. this was what inflames a situation, statements such as "if this hymnal doesn't include x, it will be instantly discredited" or "this hymnal had better not include x else it will be a disgrace," etc. That kind of language doesn't actually help.
  • chonakchonak
    The podcasts on kencanedo.com are *very* instructive about what went on in the 1960s: a true service, especially for us who missed the events of the time due to our youth or our non-Catholic background.

If you haven't seen Jeffrey's review of Mr. Canedo's new book, I recommend that as well.

(The podcasts were very slow at downloading when I picked them up yesterday, so you might have to download them during off-hours.)
  • Kathy
    Thanks, Chonak and Jeffrey.

These podcasts are great! Turns out I still know every word of It's a Brand New Day. When I was growing up, my parish's folk group had butterscotch-colored 3-ring binders full of songs like this and hits from Godspell and Fiddler on the Roof.
  • I did not think that Francis' deleted statements were at all inflammatory. They were, actually, rather spot on. We should all be thankful that we, who share at least basic concepts of the mass and its music, have this forum in which we may state our thoughts without censure and without reference to those who are happy with Ed Sullivan Show masses and would rudely and screechily oppose as a matter of principle all that we are working to achieve. Jeffrey is right: we should not at all 'want to dampen the sense of freedom and honesty' here. Each of us should temper his own thoughts lest they be couched in an unkind or unseemly manner while enjoying, within reason, freedom of expression. This forum is an unique outlet and a crucible of creativity. Its discourse should be free and in keeping with the high purposes that we all serve.
  • After rereading all the comments on this hymn, I'm thinking, that as a non-catholic, my input is not important. Not said with any particular tone of voice, just maybe I haven't been in the church enough to have a criticism of it. Personally, I have no attachment to it, but if others do, it's OK with me. I know the school kids still sing it every MayCrowning.

Donna
  • Donna - One doesn't have to be Catholic to perceive the qualitative difference between the Sistine Chapel ceiling and the maudlin efforts of plaster filled churches; or to apprehend the spiritual chasm between Veni Sancte Spiritus (or Regina Caeli) and the vacuous song under discussion here. It would seem that you have sufficient spiritual and artistic (if not dogmatic) kinship to weigh in. While I am spiritually, theologically, intellectually, in mind, body, and soul a convinced Roman Catholic, my Anglo-Catholic heritage leaves me at great (often painful) odds with much in Catholic culture with which I am surrounded. It is one of the reasons that I am a friend of this forum, and one of the reasons that I may be an occasional irritant to some of my fellow forum members. You are welcome here as a friend of the best in music and art in the service of that unique and potent wedding between heaven and earth that is the Mass.
  • Mr. Z
    I agree with M. Jackson O.

These issues can be of significant consequence (here, I would argue that this is not so much the case, but..) and as such should have a proper forum (this one) for the full vetting of these propositions. In this particular case I quite disagree with the making a big to do of this harmless hymn of devotion, but I fully support the well reasoned, non equivocating arguing against the same. It is essential to everyone's better understanding of which music is central and important, and why, and which is not. Wonderful, actually, even though to me, on the other side, some of this does have a cranky factor, but so be it. I also believe that iron sharpens iron, and if the full fruits of the "respect for tradition" movement would be realized, it would be helped and not hindered by this sort of free exchange of ideas. . We all should be nice, but let us be nice while not holding back on really important ideas. At the same time, some on the forum should be encouraged to grow at least one more layer of skin, or avoid the topics that some might deem provocative, but which really sometimes constitute the very ones which are at the nexus of the push towards the real progress all here seem to wish for.
  • Well, thank you Mr Z and Mr Jackson. After years and years in Church music in all kinds of situations and denominations, I think the fine art of compromise is essential. Will it keep us out heaven if we occasionally let the congregation sing 'Amazing Grace, or put BFOTF in a hymnal? I think not.
    Will I get fired if I schedule all Latin Propers at 7:30 AM Mass? Yep! :) I do what I can to uphold good music and meaningful Liturgy at the place where I am now. So far it seems to be working, as I am starting my 19th year here.

Donna
  • francis
    Don't feel too bad, DonnaSwan. Jesus scheduled His setting of the Mass on Thursday night and by Friday at noon he was dead.

More often than not, the truth is difficult to take... and compromise... Well, ask me about my own experience with that subject at a much later date.
  • CharlesW
    "CommentAuthorchonak CommentTime4 hours ago edited
    The podcasts on kencanedo.com are *very* instructive about what went on in the 1960s: a true service, especially for us who missed the events of the time due to our youth or our non-Catholic background."

Chonak, I have always heard that if you remember the 60s, you weren't really there. Unfortunately, I am allergic to fully half the legal drugs on the market, and probably more that are not legal. Consequently, I remember everything. During my teens, a whacked-out bunch of nuns decided to leave their convent and live in the world where they could be more effective. One Sunday morning, they showed up, guitars in hand, with copies of "Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore." I have maintained since then, that upon seeing a nun with a guitar, one should shoot first and then ask questions.
  • chonakchonak
    I remember some of the songs Mr. Canedo presents too, because they appeared in pop-hymnals and missalettes even into the 1980s (I started attending Mass while in college in 1979).

The charismatic-renewal songbook Songs of Praise (Servant Publications) kept some of these works in circulation after they fell out of favor in parishes; it includes mid-to-late-'60s songs by probably a dozen composers mentioned in the podcasts.

I could not fathom why a song-book for a movement about Christian discipleship and about the adoration of God, often in very emotional fashion, would include the blandly cheerful "It's a Brand New Day", a Paul Quinlan song that is only mildly religious in content.
  • Hey, remember those Singing Nuns from Philly? For the life of me I can't remember the name of the book of songs- I can remember singing them, though

Joy is like the rain? Was that it?

Donna
  • chonakchonak
    Google is our friend!

"Joy is like the rain"is online, in a 1973 performance from a public TV show: Sr. Miriam Therese Winter, a Medical Mission Sister in that order's community in Philadelphia, wrote it in 1966.

The first line of the melody seems to be a quotation from the 1949 song "Scarlet Ribbons".
  • Kathy
    Joy Is Like the Rain was the Communion meditation at least once a month, in my childhood.

Another standard went

In the still of the morning, we awake with the dawn.
    We greet our day in the challenge of faith, but what will we have to lead us on?

We'll just say that we've been to the mountain
    And caught a glimpse of all that we could be
    We will know that a new day is dawning
    With a morning sun for all of us to see....

Blather.

Maybe the biggest difference between then and now is that then, they were relatively innocent. No one new that what they were doing was completely temporary and disposable.
  • CharlesW
    What's really scary is that I actually owned clothes that looked like that. It was my plaid period. I think you are right about the innocence. All you need is love.....;-)
  • Well, I had the first miniskirt in the small town where we were stationed at the time. And I have saved all my 60's and 70's clothes, Charles. I regularly outfit my friends for Mardi Gras parties. And last year, I dressed most everyone for a Dancing Queen Routine for the entertainment.! HAHA!!

Donna
  • marajoymarajoy
    wow, chonak, I cannot believe that you picked out that one song, "It's a Brand New Day" to mention!

Some of my friends in college made a video of it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMcGaxHDDNM
    I think they liked it, but also appreciated a bit of the silliness of it.
  • francis
    In my mind, the "rarest" flowers we can bring to Mary are the vestiges of her Roman Rite and the purity found only in authentic sacred music. And boy, are they rare!
  • CharlesW
    Donna, I'm sad to say there is no way I could fit into those old clothes, even if I had kept them.