Chant tuition
  • I am posting this at the suggestion of Jeffrey Tucker who is aware of my work in the UK and has expressed his support.

I am the Director of Music at St George's Cathedral Southwark, London (UK) and, until recently, Assistant Director of Music and Head of Academic Musc at the London Oratory School. I have recently left the School to concentrate on the Cathedral and on teaching Chant. I have 3 forthcoming workshops to direct at Brentwood Cathedral this Fall, along with a chant course at the Catholic Cathedral Directors of Music Conference of Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland in Manchester next month, at the request of Martin Baker, Master of the Choristers at Westminster Cathedral.

I would very much like to expand my teaching in the US and Canada, as well as the UK and Ireland. If anyone is interested in my work please check out my website www.gregorianchant.org.uk. I am available to conduct workshops in the Chant and can be contacted here: Nickgale1975@hotmail.co.uk - please note that the website is being updated and the email link on the website should not be used for the time being.

In terms of my background, I attended a Benedictine bording school in England (where I became a Catholic, having been raised and trained initially in the Anglican tradition) and have an MA in Music from the University of Oxford, where I was an organ scholar. I studied the Chant with Dom Daniel Saulnier in Solesmes (before his move to Rome). I am currently the Director of Music at St George's Cathedral, Southwark, London's second (and oldest) Catholic Cathedral and run the Cathedral's professional, paid choir of 12 men and 26 boys. I have taught the Chant accross the UK and in Ireland and have planned and directed various Chant festivals, including the Academy of St Cecilia International Chant Conference at St George's Cathedral in 2006, assisted by Dom Saulnier, Professor Nick Sandon (Sarum Chant) and Dr Naji Hakim from Paris, amongst others. I have organised various smaller Chant workshops, often with Professor John Caldwell (retired prof. of Oxford University), and taught a week-long course to the Panel of Monastic Musicians in September last year. I am a Chant Advisor to the Latin Mass Society of England and Wales and I have performed and conducted on BBC Radio and Television, including two live Midnight Masses, one on Radio and one on Television. I have also directed Masses and Divine Office in Westminster Cathedral, Cologne Cathedral and the 'new' FSSP Church in Rome, to name but a few.

If anyone is interested in my work please email me (nickgale1975@hotmail.co.uk) or call +447545855654.

In Domino

Nick Gale