GregoBase: status of site / codebase?
  • novusgordo
    Posts: 58
    As with many others, I've been making extensive use of GregoBase for preparing materials for my schola. The chant database is still being expanded and updated by many people. I'm growing increasingly concerned, however, at the state of the Web site itself.
    • The last commit to the GitHub repo was three years ago. In particular, the version of gregorio the site uses is badly out-of-date and seriously buggy.
    • M. Berten hasn't made any contributions to GitHub at all in the past year, which raises serious concerns about what happens if/when he goes the way of all flesh.
    • Finally, as the database expands, IMO there's a serious need to talk about conventions for things like how titles and other metadata are formatted. But it's hard to do that when the project lead isn't around!
    I know that on previous occasions, people on these forums have been able to help rescue sacred-music Web resources whose hosting or maintenance situations have become unsustainable. Given how important this particular site is to so many of us, at what point might we need to intervene?
  • MatthewRoth
    Posts: 3,843
    Jacques Perriere also passed away. I have a lot of comments in the various comment fields and many thoughts (including that it is not a place to share new work, and vernacular work, not without better sorting) but it’s a lot of work. Also, I agree on titles, and no periods should ever be introduced into file titles either. But the titles are inconsistent and file names atrocious.

    It’s not about intervening. It’s about getting Olivier to respond.
  • novusgordo
    Posts: 58
    Re the better sorting:
    One thing I've been doing is prepending the "version" field of translations and other non-Latin scores with the two-letter language code: "EN:" for English, "VT:" for Vietnamese, and the like. But I'm also a little worried about doing that, inasmuch as I don't really have the authority to make decisions like that for the entire archive.