Officium Defunctorum accompaniment
  • Kirasin
    Hello everyone,

I’m looking for an organ accompaniment for the Officium Defunctorum antiphons (Placebo Domino, Heu me, etc.).

Thanks in advance!
  • MatthewRoth
    by its nature, this was probably unaccompanied or even sung recto tono, although you could use organ later on IIRC.

I would take the antiphons Fidelis servus, Isti sunt sancti (for both mode 2 antiphons), Ista est speciosa (for both in mode 8; unfortunately, these four antiphons are the least similar to others in the mode), and then Angeli, Archangeli (but mode 7 antiphons like that are similar). That should give you all of the notes and most of the figures in the mode.

If not…two people who would accompany Vespers of the dead if asked would be Chris Berry at St Stanislaus in Milwaukee and Nick Botkins at the basilica of St John in Stamford, Connecticut. (I don't know that they do work for free, and wouldn't expect it, but they may have something noted in a Liber Usualis already.)

if you find something or come up with your own, please share it with us. It is actually, dare I say it, useful.
  • This is what you are looking for:
    Potiron Accompaniments to the Office of the Dead, found at the CCWatershed library. Its download link is broken, for it returns a "Not Found" page, but happily I downloaded a copy in time which I attach here for you.
    Officium Defunctorum.pdf
    2M
  • MatthewRoth
    Oh shoot. I have the complete Potiron Vesperale but didn’t realize that he did the Off. defuctorum too. Thanks! (sigh, it's in another place on my machine)
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Kirasin
    Thanks so much everyone! Especially Verbum_Gloriae