"Birchington" hymn tune
  • Having lived in the above English village, I have been approached by a friend regarding two hymn tunes with this name. One, by W.C. Filby is readily available on Hymnary.org, but the other, by Frank C Butcher, FRCO, is proving to be elusive. It apparently starts by running straight up the major scale (as opposed to "Unchanging God" which runs down). Does anyone have access to a copy of the Butcher tune or know where it might be found as Mr Google has let us both down. Thanks in advance.
  • Liam
    If it helps narrow searching....this is a composer dictionary entry for Frank C Butcher. Birchington is on the Isle of Thanet, Kent (west of Westgate west of Margate). (Information about the parish church: https://www.allsaintsbirchington.com/history-all-saints-birchington/ ) In the USA, he appears to have published some formerly popular Christmas pageant anthems though G. Schirmer, the Hoosac School having apparently been ground zero for Boar's Head & Yule Log Pageants in the USA.
    552 x 268 - 90K
  • Many thanks for this Liam. I had seen some info on one website about "a" Frank Butcher in the USA, with links to the Hoosack school, but with no confirmation that it was "the" Frank Butcher. (BTW, I do know Birchington church very well, as I am now organist there and live in Westgate. I doubt that I will ever be employed at the Cathedral though, but have played the organ there a couple of times.) Regards, T.
    Thanked by 1Liam