Graduale Simplex in Latin, English and Spanish--discrepancies
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Since the recent publication of a Spanish language Simplex (a language I don't speak), I've been comparing it to the original Latin (also a language I don't speak) and the English version, By Flowing Waters. It seems the Spanish version is staying true to the Latin original and it is the English version that diverges a bit.

One such example: Mass IX for ordinary time (for the final weeks) does not seem to appear in the original Latin. What is the source for this chant? @Paul_Ford? Is there a Latin and Spanish version available somewhere else in the book that I'm missing, or is this unique to By Flowing Waters?

There are also some differences in the Commons, which is the section I use most frequently for daily Masses. I guess I just assumed that By Flowing Waters was a translation of the original Latin. While melodies were adapted to fit the language, I assumed the scripture references were all parallel, but I'm finding this is not always the case.
  • You'll discover that each country's translations (and lectionaries) differ. It is not surprising that a latin-derived language ends up closer to the Latin. I've rather infamously ranted on a relatively recent thread about my issues here... English sources do not always refer to the original latin antiphons, if the currently-in-vogue translation references a different hebrew or greek manuscript instead. I'm reminded of a cute meme I've seen floating around of a very happy-looking dumpster that is on fire, with the quote, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine."
  • a_f_hawkins
    By Flowing Waters intro p.xvii
    By Flowing Waters includes the entire repertory of the Graduale Simplex, as well as a ninth suite of psalms and antiphons for the last weeks of the Church year. It also includes the entire repertory of Jubilate Deo ...
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Yes. I understand the language differences, but there are some cases where the actual scripture verses don't line up either. It's not just a language issue.

What is the source of this 9th suite for Ordinary Time? It's one we enjoy using at daily Masses in November. I guess I'm just disappointed to learn that it's not available in Latin or Spanish.