Psalm Tone Tool Update
  • MatthewRoth
    I’m pleased to say that the Psalm Tone Tool used by many here is now updated (and if you tried to use it today, back in business; a Javascript issue knocked the site out).

I suggested and did my first proper contribution to add the Roman tone in directum, the alternate peregrinus (the names for this and tone 6 are backwards with respect to common usage), and the All Souls tone at the Hours used ad libitum.

I added the solemn versicle tone for Vespers; that may require more manual intervention.

Also, the previous tone in directum is now labeled correctly, as it is the tone used (sometimes ad libitum, as at Benediction) for psalms in Paschal Time, beginning on the evening of Holy Saturday.
  • Thanks, that’s most helpful. Just last week I needed the tonus in directum and had to be creative.

I would also like to suggest the addition of the tones used in the modern (post 1982) Antiphonale Monasticum and Antiphonale Romanum: II*, IV*, C, D and E. I think these are already covered, but every time I have to figure out how these tones were labelled previously. It would be quite helpful for novus ordo liturgies.

In general, the tool could be more friendly to the novus ordo. The Nova Vulgata text of Psalm 119(118) isn't divided into chapters; the numbering of the Nova Vulgata Psalms follows the Hebrew numbering instead that of the Septuagita (quite confusing), the text of the Magnificat from the 2010 Antiphonale Romanum isn’t available (i.e. the old one, but with "i" instead of "j"), the common tones from the 2010 Antiphonale Romanum are not available, many canticles are missing, etc.
  • MatthewRoth
    Yeah. Conversely I needed the PT tone and had to rework 8G manually, not realizing that this was there. The custom tone is finicky imho.

I’m sympathetic. I would suggest forking and making a PR on Github; since I don’t have the NO books, I can’t do it myself.

Adding the NO names to the FAQ > changing the labels, to me. That would make the file name change for those who download them going forward, people who probably have a Liber Usualis.

In theory I guess it’d be trivial to add the “i” spelling — but then some mention should be made in the FAQ of what this is for. Ben’s call on everything of course; plus I don’t know if this needs to be a new text or if a button saying Use “i” (2010 AR) is appropriate.

There are a lot of canticles already there that I presume are for the NO. So I assume that adding the missing ones is trivial. We just need the texts. But like with the new Magnificat variant, this adds a lot of files to the download; I asked for a way to exclude files, and such a a large addition would increase the urgency.

The divisions of the NV psalter can likely be reworked. That’s happened a couple of times to make using Divino Afflatu’s psalter more feasible.

A few thoughts as to why the took is the way it is currently though: for reasons of demand and capability, the Latin NO office was and is a low priority.

Other than the versicle tones (and only the ones with lots of neumes) none of the preconciliar conmon tones are not there. Any new tones can be added to Gregobase if they aren’t there already.

I have previously complained that the renaming of the tones was bad — and this reminds me of that. :(
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @MatthewRoth,

I imagine this tool will also be useful for Litanies yes? Would that require a different tool?
  • MatthewRoth
    This tool is not good for litanies. You can use the GABC transcription tool on the same site or the Source and Summit Editor to visualize the chant. But I recommend following the tips and tricks on the Gregorio project site to do litanies. Which requires LaTeX; you can do it online with Overleaf though if you don’t want a local installation.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3