Sunday/Feast Day Processional Music
  • I've been away for a long while, good to pop back in and say hi once in a while!

I was reading Psallite Sapienter (TLM context) the other day and noticed that the author made the claim that the "procession" from the sacristy to the sanctuary is not really a procession at all, but just a practical walking; what do my fellow forum members think of that? It seems that the author claims that for this action, it is not strictly-speaking proper to accompany with music.

I've been programming and playing fairly elaborate processional marches and French Plein-Jeu style pieces/improvisations for this "processional" which usually takes the form of a long entrance (from the sacristy to the back, then down the center aisle). I have avoided using hymns for this purpose, rather relegating them to the item immediately after the Last Gospel, and all sing the hymn in place before the exit (again, a long exit with organ music).

I should note too that I quite like the elevated nature of this music - it helps to, in my mind, raise the mind and heart to the thoughts of God immediately prior to the liturgy, so that people have quiet time for preparation, a choral or organ prelude, then a stately processional to announce the action of worship.
  • MatthewRoth
    The tradition would be to continue the prelude in some way except when solo organ is forbidden, particularly if the short entrance is used, which would be quite normal at a second sung Mass or during the week on lesser occasions. I do not like a hymn for the long procession either even if it makes for hard choices when it comes to the final hymn, although I would prefer no hymn at all some days, just organ or silence. We do the Marian antiphon with the versicle and collect after the Last Gospel, during which there is music on most Sundays (when permitted, that is). Then there’s a hymn except for Palm Sunday most years.

Andrew Mills writing in the American context of the new or renewed usage of the 1962 missal is the only way that I can square the claim. It’s certainly a shocking claim to any French organist of the last century and I would guess Roman as well.
  • In the Modern Roman rite, the Presentation of the Lord, and the Palm Sunday preliminary rites give a clue. Procession. Solemn Entrance. Simple Entrance.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    If it bothers you, frame it as (on Sundays) an extended intonazione for the Asperges, resolving clearly on Father’s pitch as he kneels.

Generally speaking, however, simple practical walks in the Roman Rite take the shortest possible way. It sounds as though your clergy are not doing that. I would imagine in your context, they want you to treat it as a procession.
  • a_f_hawkins
    NihilNominis perhaps you would define what you mean by 'the Roman Rite'. It would not seem to be true of the current Roman Missal, and it is not true of the (few) Missals I have looked at from before 1570 except those that describe only a Missa Privata.
  • MatthewRoth
    He means the Roman rite (I would say obviously, but…) and it’s just true. You don’t even have a processional cross in the usage which became established as the missal of Saint Pius V. Which really makes a long procession sort of weird. There are no stations of any kind.

You get in and out, and sometimes that means not even exiting the church. But there is still organ music, when allowed, often quite elaborate or powerful or at least interesting.
    Thanked by 2Andrew_Malton tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    Fortescue (in his second edition 1919) seems to take a much less niggardlymiserly view.
    Untitled 1.pdf
  • I quite like the elevated nature of this music - it helps to, in my mind, raise the mind and heart to the thoughts of God immediately prior to the liturgy, so that people have quiet time for preparation, a choral or organ prelude, then a stately processional to announce the action of worship.

in the last two years we've begun using the organ for processionals on special occasions (e.g., Christ the King, new ordinands' first Masses, Seven Sorrows) and I agree with this.