Immaculate Conception this year
  • This year, in the liturgical calendar of the post-Vatican II ritual, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception is moved to Monday, December 9, in many dioceses, since the 8th is the Second Sunday of Advent. How does this affect Sunday vespers? Does it become “Evening Prayer I” of Immaculate Conception? What are the rules? Where would I find out this sort of thing? At my parish we do Sunday vespers (alas only during Advent and Lent), so I am trying to put together the worship aids in advance.
  • Liam
    Advent II takes precedence over the transferred Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception (which is not a day of precept in the USA this year), so evening prayer on Sunday evening would be Evening Prayer II of Advent II.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen LauraKaz
  • Ordo Calendars for the new Liturgical Year should already be available.
  • a_f_hawkins
    >should already be available
    but our archdiocese has not succeeded in delivering them to us before Christmas for the last five years! once I did not get a copy until after Epiphany !!
  • The basic ordo is already available on the USCCB website. It won’t have diocesan specific data, but covers most things.
  • MatthewRoth
    A classical Roman ordo (note that an ordo calendar is not a thing) runs from Jan 1 to ~Epiphany of the following year, avoiding the problem of preparing the next year's ordo not only before Christmas but before Advent; it's true, one of the few people who does do an ordo in this way (Paul Cavendish) does prepare it well in advance, but he has a global audience.

In a diocese, you could very easily take all eleven months to prepare, proofread, and correct the ordo, then send it out in December (after Thanksgiving in the US, basically) — this also makes a lot of sense, because who's going to have time to work on next year in Advent of the year that you just prepared? So it could be about the same amount of time (ten or eleven months) but you lose a month beginning in Advent.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Pardon me, I'm mostly out of it now, but forty years ago we used the Paulist Ordo, and it had all of the obits for deceased bishops and priests. Is this no longer a thing?
  • Liam
    Catalog for 2025 - includes necrologies:

https://www.paulistpress.com/Pages/Center/ordo_list_2025.aspx
    Thanked by 1Roborgelmeister