Christmas Vigil Mass Hymns
  • opus2080
    So I know it's still August, but I'm planning ahead to our Christmas masses, and the vigil has me stumped. It was always treated in our parish the same as the Christmas day mass (didn't have midnight mass) but that wasn't appropriate. Last year we added a midnight mass, and made the early mass the vigil with its appropriate readings and music.
    My dilemma is a recessional hymn. Last year we sang Silent Night, but this year our choir will be singing that as a prelude. What would you use?

Entrance hymn will be Once in Royal David's City
    Offertory hymn Of the Father's Love Begotten
    Communion Lo How A Rose and O Little Town of Bethlehem

What would you do for a recessional?
  • Liam
    If you're not going to treat the end of the Vigil still as a historical reenactment by treating the Nativity as strictly-yet-to-happen, you can use an emphatic sung recessional of a kind that people expect at Christmas Masses; there are two heavyweights in the USA in that regard, and a middleweight that is the most likely next choice after them. I strongly prefer the middleweight: that is, Angels We Have Heard on High over the two heavyweights (1) Hark The Herald Angels Sing or (2) Joy to The World. (The last thing I ever want to hear is Silent Night done like a huge recessional anyway.)

There are many wonderful hymns that would suit if something less so emphatic were desired, but I am not sure they are things American Catholic congregations would be as likely to join.

If someone had written a clearly Christ-centric version of It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, that would been perfect for this.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • opus2080
    They traditionally used Joy to the World. My first year we used Angels We Have Heard on High (that year we used the readings for the mass at Midnight). Last year we used the vigil readings and ended quietly with Silent Night, a suggestion from the pastor. Looking now to see what others do! But Liam, I definitely appreciate your thoughts and comments.