Dayton, OH: Music Minister (St. John Bosco chapel, next to Wright State University)
  • Maureen
    "The Music Minister at Catholic Campus Ministry, Wright State University (WSU), is responsible for providing liturgically-appropriate music for Masses and prayer services on Sundays and Wednesday evenings, as well as other occasions. This individual is also responsible for recruiting student music ministers/cantors and leading their rehearsals. The Music Minister is an integral part of the campus ministry team whose work responds to Jesus’ call to proclaim the Gospel and make disciples."

https://resources.catholicaoc.org/jobs/music-minister-wright-state-university-dayton-oh

Additional information at the page, and click on the PDF link there for even more info.

This is a little college chapel that is super-active and super-Catholic, and it has the most marriages come out of it of any college in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati (and a decent number of priestly/religious vocations). Fr. Tim is very active too, and pretty traditional, but it's the Ordinary Rite. Music used is everything from chant to hymns to praise and worship.

This would be a great job for someone young seeking experience, or someone wanting supplemental or retirement income, especially if the person already lives in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. It's probably not a job you could live on, by itself.

Our previous music minister had her main job at a parish by her house, and then kindly came over to help. (There's two Masses on Sunday, and one Mass on Wednesday night.) She's taking a job that is more time-intensive (and pays more for a single gig), so she can't help out anymore. We will miss her, and vice versa!

The bit about leading rehearsals is not currently a big part of the job. Right now, I think it's usually just the "right before Mass" practice for both Sunday Masses, along with sending links to music/videos to members of choir/cantors. Maybe the Wednesday folks do something more, but I don't know much about that. (Wednesday night Mass has "Bosco Night" dinners and talks right afterward, which is very student-driven.)

The music building and music library of WSU is about a block away from the chapel, heh heh! And the WSU music and performing arts programs bring lots of Catholic musicians and singers into the chapel.

The chapel website and YT channel for St. John Bosco will give you an idea of what's going on. The chapel has its own Knights of Columbus chapter, which collaborates closely with other KoC in the area, and there are tons of other things going on.

I go there for Mass most of the time, so obviously I am interested in the job search going well!!!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions