Compositions and arrangements of Heath Morber
  • Heath
    Greetings, all!

I've been too lazy to build a website to share some of my compositions/arrangements, but I feel like *I* need a way to keep straight what I've done in the past two decades! So I'll put it all here primarily for my sake, but also as a benefit to others who are looking for some new rep.

First off, my published items:

Eight Liturgical Rounds (Canticanova) - https://www.canticanova.com/catalog/products/cnp5033.htm

3 and 4-pt rounds for the major liturgical seasons as well as Marian feasts, funerals, and a Eucharistic one to boot. You can hear the Advent round here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXc7KAqjjG8

The Wisdom of God (OCP) - https://www.ocp.org/en-us/songs/90954/the-wisdom-of-god

I was smitten with a Byzantine text I had heard on a sacred music retreat and couldn't find a setting of it that I loved...so I wrote one! It's designed for the footwashing on Holy Thursday. You can hear a (fabulous!) recording here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQltzxNj6A
  • Heath
    My ongoing project is over at https://englishmotets.com/

At this site I share my Latin to English adaptations of (mostly) Renaissance motets. 20 bucks for lifetime access, but I also share one page samples of everything that I have for non-subscribers and through my email list.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Heath
    Jesu Dulcis Memoria (score attached)

(general usage, SAB (w/male split for "Amen"), alternatim w/chant, English verses)

I composed this to be used as a "quick-hitter" (i.e. something that could be learned in about 20 minutes with a pick-up choir), though I quickly discovered it needs a little more prep than that. :) It would probably work well as an organ trio alternatively.

Thanked by 1Joseph Michael
  • Heath
    Kyrie, adapted from "Deutsche Messe": Schubert, arr. Heath Morber

(Kyrie, SATB acap. or colla parte, Greek text)

Basically, I took R. Proulx's adaptation (published through GIA) of Schubert's movement, compared it with the original, and then moved it up to E-flat major and slapped the Greek on to it. Simple, dignified, and a choir favorite (we do it for festive Masses w/strings and organ doubling the vocal parts).
  • Heath
    Kyrie XVI, arr. Heath Morber

(Kyrie, Chant w/descant and "subcant" (Did I coin this term? I've told everyone that I did . . . : ), Greek)

I wrote this one for my top choir a number of years ago which we use for special occasions. The purists will hate it, but I think it works! : )
    Thanked by 1Joseph Michael
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Your Holy Thursday piece is lovely!
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Heath
    Be Wise

(Antiphon, 3-pt canon, pentatonic, English)

This one is really random; a Franciscan sister took her final vows many years ago, and I composed this antiphon which is called for after the homily and before the ritual for the vows begins. I planned for it to be sung unison by a single sex, then done as a brief canon (note: observe the fermatas, or it won't work! The two "Be"s should line up).

It also works with the Gospel for 32 OT-A.
  • Heath
    Crux Fidelis arr. Heath Morber

(Good Friday, SATB, acappella, English)

Title's a bit misleading; the arrangement is actually the Pange lingua . . . proelium text in English set to PICARDY, with WONDROUS LOVE thrown in for good measure. This (like many of my arrangements!) was intended to be a "quick-hitter" (we have an ad hoc choir for Good Friday, with only one advance rehearsal).

I was quite lazy when type-setting this and didn't include all the verbal instructions that I gave to my choir when I used this a number of years ago. And so:

Vs. 1: Men
    Vs. 2: Women sing melody, men drone on "ooh" (final note of Vs. 1 turns into drone)
    Vs. 3: Men sing melody, women drone on "ooh" (finale note of Vs. 2 turns into drone)
    Vs. 4: Ladies sing canon, men drone
    Vs. 5: Men sing as written, ladies drone
    Vs. 6: Ladies sing PICARDY (top line), Men sing WONDROUS LOVE (bottom line)
    Vs. 7: SATB as written
    Vs. 8: Tutti, no drone, SATB at end
  • Heath
    Away in a Manger arr. Heath Morber

(English, TTBB, acappella)

Whipped this up for a festival group of men a few years...and I used the best Away in a Manger melody, no question about it. :)
  • Heath
    O Come and Mourn arr. Heath Morber

SSA/TTB, English, Palm Sunday/Good Friday)

I found Dr. Marier's arrangement of this in an old hymnal called "Cantus Populi", IIRC. Lovely piece, which I tweaked a bit . . . not sure I improved it, though. : ) I have a trio of ladies do it every year for Good Friday during the Veneration of the Cross.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Heath
    (I promise the Lilypond scores start to improve at some point. :)