Typesetting solutions
  • BGP
    I am potentially opening a can of technological worms here but, what do you all do to put, say a GABC or similar, score into whatever publishing or word processing document you use for programs or whatnot?

I have been, basically, screen-shoting and pasting as an image, which has to be super privative.
    How can I learn?
  • MatthewRoth
    You can produce images from the Source and Summit editor. Apple Pages treats the PDF as something to be dragged and dropped just like a JPEG, PNG etc. Otherwise, I just do it all in LaTeX myself and cut out the intermediate steps.
    Thanked by 2BGP tomjaw
  • MarkB
    If you generate a pdf of the score but your publishing program won't permit you to import the pdf directly, you can convert it to a graphics file.

This page will convert from pdf to jpeg:
    https://pdftoimage.com/

You can also select buttons above the window to change the conversion to png format.
    Thanked by 1BGP
  • When I care about the end product looking really nice and having a consistent style, I use LaTeX and put the GABC straight into the code.

If I'm just doing something fast and sloppy, I'll export pdfs or pngs from source and summit editor. I'll put the pngs in a google doc if I need to arrange them with text or other pictures.

Or sometimes I'll use scribus.
  • francis
    If one uses InDesign, a pdf will also import as postscript, and then the ID layout will also export as a postscript PDF maintaining the highest publishing quality possible.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    > This page will convert from pdf to jpeg:

Probably don't want jpegs for print-destined material. PNG or TIFF are gonna end up looking better.

---

I don't *exactly* remember how I did it, but I used to make nice looking bulletins for a (weird) monastic community more-or-less as follows:

- prayer "script" in a markdown file, with insert tags referencing gabc files for chants (or maybe they referenced names of rendered png images?)
    - chants in individual gabc files
    - a bash script that called gregorio to render the chants and then pandoc to render the markdown and spit out a pdf all in one go

(I played around with also being able to incorporate lilypond files as well, but it was too complicated for me at the time [this was before I got good at coding... i think it's probablt doable] and so I just did everything in four-line notation even if it wasn't really Gregorian in nature (everything was un-metered -- like we did some Orthodox chant and similar things -- so it still worked, even if under other circumstances I might have done five line stemless round notes)

I *think* I still have the files and scripts somewhere so if this approach sounds helpful I can look for them and share more specific details.
  • GerardH
    I use Microsoft Word for the actual document, but everything else I use is free.

My process is:
    Chant scores
    • Create score with Source & Summit editor. I have saved all my settings in a text file so I can keep the appearance consistent.
    • Download score as .svg
    • Open .svg in Inkscape
    • Make any necessary edits (like resize page to contents, Ctrl+Shift+R)
    • Export as .emf (Enhanced Metafile)
    • Drag and drop file from file explorer into Word Document

Modern notation scores
    • Create score with MuseScore. I have saved all my settings as a "style" file which I can load to keep the appearance consistent.
    • Export score as .svg
    • Open .svg in Inkscape
    • Make any necessary edits (like resize page to contents, Ctrl+Shift+R)
    • Export as .emf (Enhanced Metafile)
    • Drag and drop file from file explorer into Word Document

SVG and EMF are both vector file formats, and both work in Word. The reason to save first as an SVG and then as EMF is because I found that if I cropped an SVG in Word, it would rasterise and print badly pixelated.

Avoid JPG or PNG for text-based or text-like graphics, since you will get pixelation which prints poorly.
    Thanked by 1Charging3296
  • MatthewRoth
    In MS, I have a file which I duplicate and then modify. I find the style aspects rather painful. I export as a PDF, which looks pretty good when added in LaTeX with graphicx (these images don’t break over pages so you have to play with scaling, and between my printer and a pesky bug in macOS Preview, the file scales incorrectly but with my parish printer, it’s fine). I am chaotic and print on full sheets, so this trick may be less appealing if you use folded letter paper. (Folded legal is better anyway.) You could print on folded paper too, I just don’t need to do that luckily.

For example, for Benediction, I inserted the usual hymn melodies for weeknights per annum here (we do melodies from the Gregorian repertoire after Vespers and in the other seasons.)

Playing around with the scale and other settings worked pretty well.

To OMM’s point: Matthias Bry (who is doing the new nocturnale) convinced me to just use LaTeX. I tried something else for the Laus in Ecclesia score book, and I said “forget it…”.

Also, I repeat that Source and Summit doesn’t use Gregorio now, it uses gabc but those aren’t strictly the same, so as a result, it doesn’t support features of gabc introduced later on (notably suppressing the custos and control over EUOUAE). It’s good for quick checks that your own transcription is correct.

But since we’re advocating for the best, reiterating this point is necessary.

I should add by the way that if you use gabc, and if it doesn’t work but everything looks right online, check that there are no invisible characters that don’t belong. I’ve had some strange errors (maybe due to my workflow on macOS where typing characters like “æ”, including the accented version with Unicode entry, is easy with find and replace but where I won’t see, obviously, an incorrect invisible character…)
  • lmassery
    One way I do it is export to a PDF from the GABC editor, then use GIMP to convert to PNG and crop images. It’s a free photo editing software that works pretty well. Set the Pixelation to 300 for Hi-Res.
  • GerardH
    @lmassery Inkscape also takes PDFs, and then you can save vector graphic files as I describe
  • chonakchonak
    I use LaTeX or LaTeX-book , and invoke gregorio directly in the LaTeX document file. This makes all the adjustments defined in the Gregorio documentation available.
  • MatthewRoth
    That’s the other big thing. I focus on the non-chant things as an advantage, but of course, being able to tweak the score itself, the annotations, etc. is huge.