First "Bishop Osio" International Competition of Sacred Music Composition
  • chonakchonak
    We received this announcement from the Cordoba Diocesan Museum, for a competition seeking musical settings of the Nicene Creed, either in Latin or Spanish:
    On the occasion of the 1700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea, within the framework of the Congress "Creed: Light of Nicea", the Diocese of Cordoba (Spain), with the sponsorship of the Cathedral Chapter of Cordoba, has organized the I International Competition of Sacred Music Composition Bishop Osio, which will take place between 2024 and 2025.

The rules published in the web page https://www.diocesisdecordoba.es/noticias/convocado-el-i-concurso-internacional-de-composicion-de-musica-sacra-obispo-osio determine in detail the requirements of this proposal destined to stimulate the composition of music for the text of the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed, adjusted for Orchestra, Choir, and optional Organ.

The preliminary phase of the Competition began on April 29 and will accept submissions of compositions until November 29, 2024, from which four finalist pieces will be chosen. The final phase will be deliberated in a concert in the Cathedral of Cordoba, ancient Mosque, in which the four selected compositions will be performed. The winning composition will receive a prize of 9,000 euros.

Please forward this information to as many people as may be interested, with special emphasis on the field of musical composition.

We are very grateful for the diffusion of this contest, which we hope will contribute to enrich the contemporary ecclesiastical musical heritage.

María José Muñoz López
    Secretaria del I Concurso Internacional de Composición de Música Sacra Obispo Osio
    C/ Torrijos 12, 14003 Córdoba
    687.84.83.00 / 957.49.64.74 (ext. 436)
    museo@diocesisdecordoba.es

More information is available at:
    https://www.diocesisdecordoba.es/media//2024/04/Bases-concurso-musica-sacra-obispo-Osio-2024-english.pdf
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    40€ entry fee.
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    and an orchestra (2222 woodwinds, 2221 brass, 2 percussion, strings + optional organ) ... for a liturgical setting?
    Thanked by 1Brian Michael Page
  • MatthewRoth
    Which must be nine minutes long, with a very strange choice of percussion to boot (no timpani, but modern mallet percussion strikes me as strange for an ecclesiastical, sacred composition)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Actually the 1st percussionist is a tympanist with 5 tympani at his/her disposal. Tpdfhe 2nd has all the modern percussion. Anyway, it is definitely strange for sacred music to be used in a liturgical setting.

• MatthewRoth
    Oh I missed that (the typesetting is… not the best).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Well, I'm hopeful that they are listing the orchestra's forces to offer them at the composer's disposition; not to imply that it is required to employ them all.