O Filii: Suggestions desired
  • If anyone has suggestions, they are most gratefully welcomed, compositions are not really my thing. Also, free to use if anyone desires.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • emac3183
    At first glance, there are a few enharmonics (same note represented differently) to fix:
    The D sharp in the soprano 1 in measure 5 should be written as an Eb.
    The A sharp and B sharp in the soprano 2 in measure 7 should be written as Bb and C, respectively.

I quite like this. The last three measures slowly introduce a level of dissonance, which resolves quite nicely to the open fifths at the end. If you find that tuning is difficult at the end, you could simply nix the top soprano 1 split and change the last note of the soprano 2 line to a G. This would accomplish a similar, if slightly less "spicy," effect that would be much easier to tune.
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If you could make this a PDF instead of a Word doc, more people could see it. Also, why is a score a Word doc?
  • MatthewRoth
    I assume that it’s because of the chant included— but of course one can export a document made in a word processor to PDF or even manipulate the PDF to include extra elements.

As an aside: while I do mostly like Musescore, I would encourage people interested in including sqaure notation alongside polyphonic music to consider Lilypond; there is a LaTeX package which would allow you to insert polyphony in the same document as a Gregorio score.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Here you go @Adam Wood

I didnt put it in PDF just because I knew it was not at all finished.

@MatthewRoth I have honestly tried Lilypond and I cannot seem to figure it out. I know a lot of people like it, I just can not understand how to use it. I use "noteflight" the free version but i honestly hate it because you have to use meters and cant adapt chant to it at all.

My other problem is that I have to use the "free versions" of any transcription tool since.. we are poor.
    -Sister Marie
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • MatthewRoth
    No worries. I have had some success with Musescore, but it’s not perfect by any means.
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist