Requiem Mass for SMALL Choir
  • Good morning, I would LOVE some suggestions regarding a Requiem setting, in English for a small choir. Thank you in advance!!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Can you tell us a little more about exactly what you're looking for?
    --Setting of the ordinary only?
    --Propers, too?
    --Chant?
    --Metrical?
    --Harmonies?
    --Accompaniment?
    Thanked by 1eboydston1
  • Oh, that would be helpful! SATB - something that reflects the Anglican Patrimony, as we are an Ordinariate parish.
  • no organ, unless it is the best option.
  • CGM
    Do you mean a setting of the
    — Mass Ordinary (Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei)
    — Mass Propers (Requiem aeternam at Introit, Lux aeterna at Communion, perhaps In Paradisum at the end, etc.)
    — both Ordinary and Propers?
    Thanked by 1eboydston1
  • Removed (didn’t see the English requirement, sorry).
    Thanked by 1eboydston1
  • CGM
    Perhaps the Short Communion Service of Batten would work for the Ordinary. You'd have to cut out the brief "Amen" at the end of the Sanctus, but otherwise the text matches exactly with the Ordinariate's formulation.
    Thanked by 1eboydston1
  • GerardH
    Henry Walford Davies' A Short Requiem may deviate too far from the traditional texts for you to use
    Thanked by 1eboydston1
  • DL
    NB, the Divine Worship requiem also alters the Agnus Dei (to grant them rest/grant them eternal rest).
    Thanked by 1eboydston1
  • eboydston1
    Thank you, I will look up the settings! I apologize for the delayed response, we have work being done at the house and internet has been less than dependable.
  • eboydston1
    Holy smokes!! The Davies is GORGEOUS!!! thank you! (Lest we Forget)
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • Chaswjd
    There is the Plainchant Gradual of Palmer, Burgess and Shields. It sets the English text to the Latin chant melodies. You can find the requiem chants under All Souls Day.

It can be found here:

https://media.churchmusicassociation.org/books/plainchant_gradual_3-4.pdf
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen eboydston1
  • trentonjconn
    We have used the Walford Davies De Profundis as a motet for All Souls. It is indeed quite beautiful, as well as fairly straightforward.