Gather—Third Edition
  • CharlesW
    I hated Gather Reprehensive when I had to play in one place that used it. I combed through it carefully and chose only the traditional hymns it contained. Every once in a while I would get a question as to why we didn't sing "Twice Around the Outhouse with Jesus" by Haugenhaas, but I generally would say," Gosh, I don't think I know that one."
  • CatholicZ09
    Charles, it’s been a pain since we implemented it in July. Our pastor wanted us to use it for the sake of having a common hymnal at both parish churches, but since my parish was an OCP parish with strictly OCP resources prior to the pandemic, our repertoire primarily comes from OCP. While Gather does have a lot of OCP’s offerings, it lacks quite a chunk of our repertoire. Coupled with the fact that the congregation is older and never had to use a hefty hymnal because we used the disposables from OCP, this was destined to be a flop, and I’m glad it was.

I told my pastor that anytime we do anything to hinder participation (and it has been hindered; people have not been singing as much since G3 arrived), we need to step back and examine why we’re doing what we’re doing. Seems to have gotten through to him, by the grace of God.

I never thought people would pick up on certain things like I do, such as the alteration of “Faith of Our Fathers” to “A Living Faith.” People were MAD when we sang “A Living Faith” out of Gather. People also picked up on the lack of male pronouns for God the Father, which I thought I only noticed, but one thing about OCP is they do retain the male pronouns.
  • CharlesW
    I had to use Gather while I taught for a Catholic school. At the parish where I played, I had more freedom to not use those altered hymn texts. Fortunately, the pastor didn't like them either.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Gather is not totally useless. I once sang a Tenebrae where it was slammed against the loft rail to provide the strepitus.
  • francis
    I had Gather 4. It was atrocious.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Brad_S_2018
  • Liam
    There was only one GIA hymnal I liked - Worship II (1975). (Though even then GIA's sense of pagination was not good.)
  • Liam
    "I had Gather 4."

Please accept my condolences. But at least be comforted in the knowledge of the many others who shared your sense of loss.
    Thanked by 2francis Brad_S_2018
  • francis
    Here is the present ad for gather 4.

Rooted in tradition,
    Engaged with the present,
    Focused on the future.
    Gather—Fourth Edition.

I might change a couple of words…

Rooting out tradition.
    Engaged with the present,
    Focused on the future.
    Gather 4 What?
  • CatholicZ09
    Well, if Gather 4 is as bad as everyone has said it is, I wonder how bad the inevitable Gather 5 will be whenever the Lectionary is revised.
    Thanked by 1Brad_S_2018
  • francis
    Revising lectionary… gotta engage the present and look to the future… 1955 still shines
  • TCJ
    If they switch the first line with the second in their ad, they could make a hymn out of it.

Also, maybe "Gather" refers to this: "Even as cockle therefore is gathered up, and burnt with fire:"
  • tandrews
    But is it as bad as the commanding hymnal, "Worship NOW?"
  • CatholicZ09
    The next one should be “Worship Forever” and call it a day.
  • francis
    Have not seen the latest Worship. Has anyone seen it?
  • CatholicZ09
    Worship IV that came out in 2011? It’s better than Gather, but it’s still tainted. It has more serviceable music IMHO, but it still has the crummy alterations that GIA does for the sake of “inclusivity.”
  • ghmus7
    Folks: The purchase of a hymnal for your parish is a HUGE decision. I have fought tooth and nail to make sure that in parishes I have worked for that we employ a traditional hymnal. Many things in music ministry are of variable importance, but this issue is a hill upon you must make a stand. You are stuck with what you get for decades.