Coronilla (aka chaplet) music?
  • Father is convinced that the Divine Mercy Chaplet can be sung in Spanish to the usual tune (by Maria Smetkiewicz). I can find it nowhere. Any help? I have done it in English and Polish, but not Spanish.
  • ServiamScores
    I have no idea where you might find the music, but curiously enough I happened to hear some Spanish parishioners singing it before mass on Sunday morning. Whether or not it’s “real” or just something they’ve done by ear is another matter entirely, but I can vouch for the fact that people do it, at any rate.
    Thanked by 1MarthaNowik
  • St Cecilia will have to come through on this one, I guess...or St Jude!
  • GerardH
    I tried to comment a few days ago, but my comment is awaiting moderation. @chonak, could you help us out?
  • Nisi
    I too am looking for the Chaplet in Spanish, with music. It must be somewhere!
  • GerardH
    My earlier comment (which seems to be lost in the modqueue) was about a reference I found to a recording of Smetkiewicz's music adapted to Spanish. Description is this:
    La Coronilla a la Divina Misericordia. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy sung in Spanish by EI Coro de San Carlos, and produced by Vinny Flynn of Still Waters. Catholic Unity Award for Spanish Album of the Year 2001. The music used on the recording is adapted from the traditional Polish melody used for years by the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy in Cracow, Poland. Originally composed by Maria Smetkiewicz, it was adapted for the Spanish language by Archbishop George H. Pearce, SM. and Vinny Flynn. Recorded live at St. Charles Church in Rhode Island, this is a beauliful, meditative rendition of the Chaplet with a gentle accompaniment of piano, strings, acoustic bass, and Spanish guitar. 27 minutes.
  • GerardH
    There is sheet music in English available here, but if you found a way to contact Vinny Flynn you might be able to access the Spanish score.

EDIT: Looks like his two websites are vinnyflynn.com and mercysong.com
  • Chrism
    a recording of Smetkiewicz's music adapted to Spanish

Supposedly you can buy the CD here - so if you can transcribe the words and set them to the music, then problem solved (except for payment of Copyright fees).

• GerardH
    EDIT: O look! my original comment...

@MarthaNowik, Googling Maria Smetkiewicz turned up this result this result, which tries to link to a recording with the following description:
    La Coronilla a la Divina Misericordia-CD - $14.99
    December 15, 2006, 11:05 am

La Coronilla a la Divina Misericordia. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy sung in Spanish by EI Coro de San Carlos, and produced by Vinny Flynn of Still Waters. Catholic Unity Award for Spanish Album of the Year 2001. The music used on the recording is adapted from the traditional Polish melody used for years by the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy in Cracow, Poland. Originally composed by Maria Smetkiewicz, it was adapted for the Spanish language by Archbishop George H. Pearce, SM. and Vinny Flynn. Recorded live at St. Charles Church in Rhode Island, this is a beauliful [sic], meditative rendition of the Chaplet with a gentle accompaniment of piano, strings, acoustic bass, and Spanish guitar. 27 minutes.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thanks, Gerard. I had seen the ad for the Vinny Flynn recording, but decided that I didn't need his 27 minute arrangement with piano, strings, etc. For Mercy Sunday, I adapted the Spanish words to the Smetkiewicz melody, sang it for a native Spanish speaker to make sure it was ok, and used it for the devotions. and no one complained. :)
  • Nisi
    Hello, MarthaNowik — would you be able to share your Spanish version?
  • MarthaNowik
    Last year I had simply pointed the text and matched it to the melody as I went along; I hadn't looked at it since then and pulled it out Friday morning, not remembering any difficulties. This afternoon I stumbled through it, wondering why I had not taken the time to write it in manuscript. Note to self for next year, preferably at the beginning of Lent...Maybe I'll have it for you then.
    I really should do it now before I forget, but tomorrow is Annunciation (women's schola singing in the morn) and will be spending the rest of the day/week preparing school students for next week's Mass.