How to handle recitations using Gregorio gabc
  • Is there a way in Gregorio to write a reciting note, e.g. (gr0) and not add another note before the first syllable of the ensuing cadence?

I am resetting the St. Matthew Passion (NRSV), so as to include additional openi verses assigned in the Revised Common Lectionary. Entering (j) after every syllable of the recitation is extremely time-consuming and tedious. I used the Meinrad fonts to create my earlier setting, where entering these repeated notes was less so, but these fonts are not compatible with Windows 11. So I am compelled to use Gregorio.

Ideally I would reset the entire passion, but if that proves particularly difficult, would it be feasible
    to set just the additional opening verses, create a .pdf, and tack it on to the old setting?

Would it be possible to create a .pdf from a Word document including Meinrad notes?
  • Have you experimented with this readings tool? There might be a way to get what you want, but I'm not 100% sure. I have used the (gr0) style for communion verses, abbreviated graduals, alleluias, and tracts, and other psalmody, but I've encountered the opposite problem in doing so: instead of entering a note after every syllable, I've had to delete notes and parentheses. The GABC Transcription Tool on that same site is a bit of a time saver, switching between integrated GABC and separate text boxes as needed, but there's still a lot of manual adjustment to be done. The hyphenator here is also useful, although there are some errors (sanc-tus instead of san-ctus, for example). You will want to put the (gr0) after the last syllable of the recitation, not the first, but you'll have to add another manually where you want/need a line break.
  • If you add a ton of slashes //////////////////////// within the parentheses you can push down the next note or barline that appears.
  • Cantus
    Maybe this? (c4) Pás(h)sio Dómini nostri(jr0) Ie(i)su(h) Chri(j)sti(j)
    Also, you can use /[factor] (e.g. /[20]) for spacing.
  • GerardH
    Or, depending on where you want the reciting note to align:
    (c4) Pás(h)si(jr0)o Dómini nostri() Ie(i)su(h) Chri(j)sti(j)
  • chonakchonak

%%
    (c3)LEc(h)ti(hr0)o() li()-bri() I()-sa()í()-æ() pro(h)phé(h)tæ.(d.)

• Are more detailed instructions for use of the Reading Tool available? The instructions given solely by way of illustrations are difficult to follow.
  • ServiamScores
    It’s the ‘r0’ that turns a note into a reciting tone. You’ll note that here chonak has also added infilled parentheses () to continue the chain of text in the reciting tone.