Burial Mass for a Baptized Infant
  • Has anyone here sung such a Mass?
    We have one coming up. This will be "OF"
    I believe the Kyriale will be VIII, and the Propers from the Votive Mass of the Holy Angels

but as we don't have the use of the organ during this season, will need to sing at Offertory and during distribution of Holy Communion. Suggestions are welcome.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • I have a long time ago. I can’t remember all the hymns and I believe the priest said a votive mass for the day. It was a totally different experience because, as it was explained, there was no doubt about where the child had gone and was treated more as a „joyful“ day considering that the family‘s daughter had gone to heaven. We also sang Missa de Angelis for commons. Aside from that, it was a EF mass. Only thing that my muddy memory can recall is that we sang O Sanctissima during communion.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • a_f_hawkins
    The GR has propers for this on p.677.
  • davido
    Around the throne of God a band (SOLOTHURN)
  • Liam
    I don't quite get a song about angels for this kind of service, though it's a lovely hymn. Angels are an entirely separate order of creation from human beings (fwiw, iirc, Catholic theologians speculate each angel is a separate order of creation); despite the powerful draw of lore of popular culture (e.g, the character Clarence in It's A Wonderful Life), human souls do not become angels in heaven, and I am not sure I'd want to encourage equivocation on that point.
  • Typo!! This will be an “EF” Mass.

The burial of very young children calls for the votive Mass of the holy Angels. I doubt that anyone thinks a human soul could *become*
    an angel, I’ve never heard that suggested.
    The Liber Usualis says that after the burial, the Canticle of the Three Young Men May be chanted (Benedicite)….I think I will drop in at CPDL and see if there’s anything likely
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • It would still be appropriate to sing In Paradisum at the end. Communion should be about communion so Adoro Te would be appropriate, as would Panis Angelicus. You could sing O Sanctissima during the offertory.
  • I doubt that anyone thinks a human soul could *become* an angel, I’ve never heard that suggested.
    Could I join you under your rock? I could use a vacation lol.

This is a VERY common belief, particularly among Protestants and even ill-informed Catholics.
  • Serviam -
    maybe you mix with the wrong crowd, lol
  • It is stated in all three of the synoptic gospels that when the dead rise, they will be like angels...but context is important! No, we don't "get our wings" up there, not even the baptized babies with no sins whatsoever.
  • tomjaw
    We have sung this Mass EF We had the Votive Mass, and sang Mass VIII (de angelis) and Marian Anthem. It was a few years ago and I do not remember us singing anything else.
  • Prayers for the family of the child.
  • Chrism
    If there's extra time, you might consider some version of the Psalm Laudate pueri, which is part of the (EF) burial rite for young children and is also sung at Sunday Vespers.
  • Chrism - if that's psalm 148 that follows Juvenes et virgines (I don't have it in front of me), yes we will do that one. thanks
  • dad29
    For my son Maximilian we used "For All the Saints" as a recessional.
  • Chrism
    I don't quite get a song about angels for this kind of service, though it's a lovely hymn.

This is an interesting example of a Mass where programming hymns based on the text of the Propers alone (Votive of the Angels) would probably be inappropriate.
    Thanked by 2Liam tomjaw
  • What responsorial psalm would be used for these circumstances in an OF setting?
  • ServiamScores
    Here's my own humble offering.

116: "The Lord protects the simple; I was helpless, but He saved me."

(Verse 4 strikes the ear a little funny because its the Abbey Psalms & Canticles translation which, if I'm being honest, doesn't always hit the ear very well. You could very easily sing the more familiar wording for that verse and no one would notice.)
    Thanked by 1trentonjconn
  • I'll be using this setting next Thursday. Thank you, James.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Also, could you link me to your alleluia peregrinus?
  • ServiamScores
    Here it is set for funerals in both English and Spanish.
    Thanked by 2trentonjconn Nisi
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Gentle Shepherd, Thou hast stilled" - my setting: hymn and setting for choir.

N.B. Revised/corrected files uploaded, 5 August 2023