Papal Responses to the Emergence of the TLM Movement
  • Chas,

Your 95% number is misleading. I don't mean to be polemical when I say this, but consider:

If everyone -- all 8 bridesmaids and all 8 groomsmen, the groom, the priest, the wedding coordinator, the professional choir and orchestra are all present -- all, except the bride, is it reasonable to say "95% of everything you want is there"? Mere numbers aren't the issue. Someone or something which is essential is missing, in my analogy.

So, let me put you a counter example, less figurative:

People claim that it is necessary to accept the Council, and to accept the liturgical reforms of the council. They say there's no big difference (as your example proposes), but only people getting persnickety because they don't really want to be Catholic. I reply: since there's no big difference, let us keep the old form, there being no big difference between it and the new form, and let us keep the old expressions of the faith (there being no big difference, numerically or otherwise) between these and the newer forms. People accuse those who take the position I've outlined of not being real Catholics, because they won't update with the Church. I reply: if you can show me some substantive, proposition-articulated statement which is definitively to be held by the faithful and taught as such by the Council documents and the popes since, in which a proper development of doctrine has taken place.... then we can have a sensible discussion. Merely claiming that someone doesn't accept the teachings of the Church is inadequate to make the claim true.

Thanked by 2tomjaw Jeffrey Quick
  • a_f_hawkins
    I say there is one big difference, mandated by VII, and that is that the rubrics acknowledge the existence of a congregation. That indeed is the big difference between 1962 and 1965. It is a fundamental defect of the 1570 Missal that the rubrics are those of a Mass without a congregation, contrary to the directives of the Council of Trent. Fortescue was right to say that Solemn Mass is the basic form, but 1570 does not reflect that, it just adds to the chantry Mass instructions for chanting and singing without integrating them with the actions of the celebrant who may have to wait while others perform their piece. And it does not take these other participants seriously, the choir may sing the Gloria but the celebrant has to say it privately, the singing is not functional, (and similarly throughout).
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Tomjaw, what of the chanted, in Latin, and ad orientem mass included sung propers instead of hymns? We would be singing the texts of the mass.

Consider as an example the funeral mass for St John Paul II. I recently watched a recording. It was in Latin with the propers. It wasn't said ad orientem, but I imagine it would give most of us here pretty close to the ideal.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Nathan, many of the TLMers, on this site, are all-or-nothing types. If they can't have it all, exactly the way they want it, then they don't want it at all. Several of the TLMers drive hours to go to an EF Mass. The only reform of the OF that they want is for it to go away.

• I say there is one big difference, mandated by VII, and that is that the rubrics acknowledge the existence of a congregation.

Hawkins,

It's a fair paraphrase of what you said to say this:'he laity have more freedom of movement in the older ordo missae'. After all, they used to be told what the priest had to do, and what they, the faithful, were not permitted to do. Now their gestures and postures are more tightly regulated. How is this the "greater freedom" promised by the advocates of the spirit of the Council?

BHCordova,

I won't speak for anyone else who attends the TLM and contributes to this forum, but surely your comment falls prey to the same shortcoming that Chas' did, above. It says, "They should be willing to take less than everything", without identifying what gets included or left out, and without a profound understanding of the reticence.

To quote (or paraphrase) from A Man for All Seasons, because the question posed this way is relevant, "Will you come along, for fellowship?"
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    CGZ = a fair point, but it's more a function of trapping people in pews than of the rubrics. In the old days we were free to think about anything we liked, but usually lacked the option of wandering about as the Orthodox do, lighting candles kissing icons or prostrating. I can still enjoy that freedom on the rare occasions when I attend a busy Mass in Westminster Cathedral.
  • tomjaw
    @Nathan_the_Organist
    In the Ancient rite of the Church we have one set of Propers, the same text prayed by the priest is the text sung by the choir. I believe the N.O. has two sets of Propers... so the text being sung by the choir is not always the text used by the priest...
  • understand that a mass said in Latin according to the Missal of Paul VI, said ad orientem, with chant gives you 95% of what you want.

Close, but no cigar.

Yes, the exterior postures and aesthetics are indeed very important… but we don’t just want a lady in pretty make up. It goes much deeper. I want the discarded ancient prayers, too. And I’d gladly part with the bloated three-year lectionary that *conveniently leaves out some very important readings… ultimately, there is a real difference between something painted gold, and something MADE of gold.
  • Liam
    "I believe the N.O. has two sets of Propers... so the text being sung by the choir is not always the text used by the priest..."

Um, no. There are choices for propers (Missal and Gradual), as well as alternatives to them, but not that the priest would do something different from the congregation/choir.
  • francis
    said ad orientem, with chant gives you 95% of what you want.
    nah... the theology is different throughout. watch the video of the mass of ages for a birds eye view of the vast changes.
  • My understanding is that the Missal propers are meant for read masses while the Graduale ones are for sung masses. This line is normally blurred in practice however.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • And we will just conveniently ignore the fact that it makes NO SENSE to “read” a different proper text from the one that should otherwise ordinarily be sung.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just stating the intention between two sets of propers. I was adding to Liam's comment to Tomjaw. The priest doesn't recite the Missal antiphon while the choir sings the Graduale antiphon. You select which antiphon to use depending on if the mass is read or sung.
  • The point is that the whole order of the calendar, the lectionary, the texts of the prayers, so much of the gestural language, all of this has been altered, in very significant ways. Of course, you don’t alter something in a significant way if you don’t feel strongly about your alteration, and that’s why it’s not so simple for the people who advocated and advocate for these changes simply to live and let live.

To the traditionalist, it seems quite obvious — if you like your new liturgy, you can have it. In return, you can let us have the latest organic growth of the ancient cycle of readings, prayers, and the whole ritual language of the ancient rite. But to the reformists, that’s not acceptable. Because they didn’t change all those things just to try something new or different. They change those things, because they felt a radical change was necessary.

In short, the anti-traditionalist crew are radicals, married ideologically to a pretty thoroughgoing reform of the whole liturgy, texts and all.

This is the only explanation that offers explanatory power for the strange phenomenon we see, namely, that in a church where ritual plurality is deeply historical, and well-tolerated, the friction of 50+ years is not being resolved in the obvious way, but instead being prolonged into quite an agonizing ordeal.

What’s nice about this explanation, is that it also aligns exactly with what the Holy Father has said. So we’re not even surmising, we’re just taking him at this word.
  • a_f_hawkins
    One reason why some of the Missal read propers are different from the sung ones is that the sung propers carefully preserve the ancient Gradual texts, even where the translation into Latin was considered inaccurate by Jerome when he wrote the Vulgate. Also alternative texts for the Communions were added using Gospel texts.
    Of course no NO Mass uses both, this is one of the reforms requested by 99.8% of the Fathers at Vatican II (and warmly endorsed by Abp Lefebvre).
  • this

What's the antecedent of "this" in your last sentence?
  • To the traditionalist, it seems quite obvious — if you like your new liturgy, you can have it. In return, you can let us have the latest organic growth of the ancient cycle of readings, prayers, and the whole ritual language of the ancient rite. But to the reformists, that’s not acceptable. Because they didn’t change all those things just to try something new or different. They change those things, because they felt a radical change was necessary.

In short, the anti-traditionalist crew are radicals, married ideologically to a pretty thoroughgoing reform of the whole liturgy, texts and all.
    Bingo.

I will add to this that in my colloquial experience, trads I've met might very well have strong opinions about these matters, but they aren't trying to fiat stamp the other party out, whereas the novus ordites who feel very strongly about this would just as quickly see the trads exterminated at all costs, rather than coexist peacefully. They will gladly knock down the churches, throw old silk vestments away, use clay vessels, and see masterpiece reredos cut up for firewood or moved to a local art museum, rather than grace an altar. It is neo-iconoclasm, and yet it is much more severe than that, even. These same people are downright eager to "pray" with muslims and pagans, and yet cannot stomach permitting a trad group to offer a TLM at an inconvenient time when no one else would even be at church anyway. Riddle me that.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I have never knowingly encountered a person in either extreme camp. I do know people with, I believe, a strong preference for the VO, but who having no local access to it participate actively in this ordinary parish. Most active Catholics I know are blithely unaware of the problem.
  • Serviam, I agree that there are those on the liturgically progressive side who do wish to destroy anything appearing to be traditional. I believe that this should be called out when it does occur. However, I know there are TLM people who call the new mass invalid and insist that none of us should attend it (this includes a traditionally aesthetic mass with chant, incense, etc, which would be my preference). There are those that want the new mass abolished and everyone returned to the TLM.

As a general rule, I think the progressive side is far less likely to simply coexist liturgically, but to say that everyone on the traditional side simply want to be left alone and to leave everyone else alone seems slightly inaccurate.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW LauraKaz
  • Nathan, you're certainly correct; there's NO doubt there are extremes on BOTH sides.

Most active Catholics I know are blithely unaware of the problem.
    Very true. I'm amazed how many people don't even know that Pachamama happened. Literal pagan worship in the vatican while the occupant of the chair of Peter sit's idly by; it is the scandal of the century, if not the millenium (although, that latter appellation is likely merited by either the protestant deformation reformation, or the priestly abuse scandals... it's a close third, at any rate).
  • As a general rule, I think the progressive side is far less likely to simply coexist liturgically, but to say that everyone on the traditional side simply want to be left alone and to leave everyone else alone seems slightly inaccurate.

True, and the nuance is appreciated.
  • francis
    Riddle me that.

Jesus told many riddles (parables)... i believe this is much worse than iconclasm... we are in a great apostasy, maybe THE great apostasy... time will tell.
    "Watch ye, therefore, praying at all times, that you may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that are to come, and to stand before the Son of man." Luke 21:36
  • many of the TLMers, on this site, are all-or-nothing types. If they can't have it all, exactly the way they want it, then they don't want it at all. Several of the TLMers drive hours to go to an EF Mass. The only reform of the OF that they want is for it to go away

I'll cop to that.
    But there's a difference between "want to go away" and "want to make go away." I think that in a liturgical free market, the NO would be pretty much extinct in a century. But I am not willing to do or to see done to most Catholics what was done to most Catholics in the 1960s. Of course, we have mostly not had a "liturgical free market", and even less now than before.

IT'S NOT THE LATIN, except in the sense of preserving the "installed base" of church music. It's the bowdlerized lectionary, the linearized liturgy, the reinterpreted and desacralized Eucharist, etc. I'd be happy with Tridentine in English, as long as we could keep Latin in the Ordinary and motets (I'd even be willing to compromise on the Propers, though not without a fight.). I'd welcome being able to sing music in English occasionally. And yes, a Vatican II Mass is more beautiful and reverent than a "Vatican II Mass". But it's not the same as the Tridentine Rite.

The peace has been broken. I've been hearing tales of a bishop out West who has ordered that no Latin is to be spoken or sung during the N.O. Mass. The hardening is not just on one side. And when somebody tells me, "You'd get 95% of what you want", I feel patronized. How do you know what I want, or how I would quantify it? This isn't a game. Many of us are picking out way through this minefield, knowing that our choices affect our immortal souls. The one personal rule that I've tried to maintain is not to judge anyone on how they face this crisis.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • Jeffrey, I agree.

I wanted my children baptized according to the old rite. As we were in novus ordo parishes and have Protestant in-laws, both priests settled on the old rite but in English. It’s not what I would have preferred, but the SUBSTANCE was still there. The new rite of baptism is very poor by comparison; just as with the old rite of mass, reading the two versions side by side in two columns (literally) is a rather eye-opening experience.

We very easily could have had a mass that was Tridentine in substance but with increased vernacular, particularly the readings. I have no opposition to that at all. What we got was not what the council asked for, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, we don’t even truly have the mass that the missal of Paul VI technically prescribes either!

I think that in a liturgical free market, the NO would be pretty much extinct in a century.
    we were already seeing this be borne out since S.P., which is precisely why T.C. Came to be. Those in power couldn’t stand that people were choosing the tradition and substance over the imploding new rite.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw trentonjconn
  • stulte
    We very easily could have had a Mass that was Tridentine in substance but with increased vernacular

No, thank you! The use of Latin (with the little bits of Greek and Hebrew) is a feature and not a bug of the Roman Rite.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Not just "a bishop out West" banning Latin in 2022, Shehan of Baltimore did that in 1967, as soon as an authorised translation of the Missal was available. Tough on him,
    Session XXII Canon ix.
    If any one shall say, that the rite of the Roman Church, whereby a part of the canon and the words of consecration are pronounced in a softened tone, is to be condemned; or, that the mass ought only to be celebrated in the vulgar tongue; or, that water is not to be mixed with the wine to be offered in the chalice, in that it is contrary to the institution of Christ; let him be anathema.
  • lNo, thank you! The use of Latin (with the little bits of Greek and Hebrew) is a feature and not a bug of the Roman Rite.
    I agree; I’m just observing that the call for “reform” could have turned out VERY differently, and in a way that is much more friendly to the actual substance Mass itself. Latin is a sacral language (as any exorcist is quick to remind people). This is, perhaps unsurprisingly, why the council fathers intended for even the new mass to retain heavy doses of Latin.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw francis
  • Nihil, I think nuance tends to be missing from a lot of our discussions on here. I think we have people that get very passionate on one side or another and, for that reason, can often miss the nuance to an issue.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CharlesW
  • Perhaps… but sometimes these things are simpler than people make them out to be, too.

If people [writ large] were more willing to call spades… well, spades, then there would be less to disagree upon. The devil is in the details, as they say, which is another way of saying “you can ‘nuance’ something into madness.”
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    Nuances get lost easily. I used to have a sign on my office noticeboard
    I know you think you understood what I said. What you may not realise is that what you heard is not what I meant.