How can one possibly be a bread-winner in this line of work?
  • Liam
    Well, if the model in the mental background of generations of pastors (and those who succeeded them) is that the people who are working are really supposed to be religious sisters who have no children to support and whose order only gets a modest stipend, then that explains a lot.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • We've been outside that model for 60+ years. I think we're seeing the schools who can sustain this change stay open and the ones who couldn't are already closed. I think this school has stayed open because the pastor facilitates a beautiful relationship between the church and school, a healthy education foundation that is built upon every two years with a fundraising auction, its unapologetically catholic position, and most recently putting itself out there as the school that will accept everyone- and taking the kids with physical, mental, or emotional handicaps that other Catholic schools could not or would not accept. It's a pretty special place, in my opinion. Sorry for derailing the thread!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Bri Elmar
  • MatthewRoth
    Parishes without schools should be included in a standard benefits package, just like diocesan employees who don't work for a parish at all, like at the chancery or those who work for high schools and who need parochial school tuition. It's in the best interest of schools run by religious orders to have arrangements with the diocesan schools.

Is that a lot of money? Yeah. But it's part of the deal, or should be.

I'm glad that your school has been so good, Polska.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Elmar
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Where on earth are you, that Superbowl Sunday is more important than Mass?

Texas. Football is the unofficial State religion.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • And Oklahoma.

The parish next to the university had to cancel mass on game days.
  • Sadly, I can believe that you're correct.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Reval
    I think parochial schools would benefit by having teachers' (or diocesan empoyees') kids in the classes as well, because they probably tend to be good kids and I bet they typically perform well on standardized tests. Not that those matter at all!
  • Reval, I think the kids go to the catholic schools. They just don't get a free ride.
  • Well, kids are kids, so I don't want to generalize, but they should indeed be in the schools, with a hefty discount.
  • Various Catholic luminaries have suggested that Catholic children should be in Catholic schools and (or, perhaps I should say, others have said, in contrast) HOMESCHOOLING is a moral obligation.

Having taught at Catholic (parochial and non-parochial) schools, I wonder if the quality of the Catholicity and the quality of the education otherwise matter in this calculus.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • TCJ
    The price wasn't the only reason I chose to homeschool my children rather than send them to the parish school. I questioned how good an education they would have gotten and also how much I was going to have to re-teach when they got home.
    Thanked by 3stulte tomjaw francis
  • francis
    not to mention the indoctrination that is now being pushed... that was a huge deciding factor for us even back in the 80s. our diocese was pushing sex ed in 2nd grade and that was a red flag that the Catholic school system had gone south even then.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Yes, but that doesn't change the norm, and where it is reasonable, having faithful Catholics in the parish as employees hopefully will make a difference when their children go to parochial school.
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • francis
    Yes, but that doesn't change the norm, and where it is reasonable, having faithful Catholics in the parish as employees hopefully will make a difference when their children go to parochial school.
    What? Explain?
  • Matthew, Francis,

Every Catholic school should have faithful Catholics as employees, whether the teachers are laymen or religious.

Let's start by meeting that norm.

Having students who wish to grow in their faith, and whose parents wish their children to grow in the faith, it seems to me is only partly required: the second part is necessary, the first part isn't so much, although it's helpful.

I've not mentioned administrators, but surely faithful Catholic administrators are a sine qua non of a successful Catholic school. Faithful Catholic chaplain is good, too.