Kneeling and the consequences
  • Students at a local college where I am an adjunct sponsor at TLM at a local parish. At their invitation, I joined the choir. I did it to support them, because I think college should be filled with as many "mountain top" experiences as possible. And of course I am sure all here will join in praying that they are permitted to keep doing it in the new school year.

They did the full Tract for Palm Sunday, the first time I sang with them, and when I expressed surprise, one young man blurted out "Go big or go home." I commented it wasn't Broadway but in the event it was beautiful.

It was a large mixed group and someone forgot to get the key so we just stood around the organ and sat in the pews. One of the principal organizers strongly prefers singing from the chancel if it is only men. The other young gentlemen have nearly as strong a preference for the anonymity of the (filthiest) loft (I have ever seen). This is not a parish event, and the parish itself has seen better days. However, we could find a hymnal on Easter when the priest decided he’d like a hymn at the last minute.

Of course, the one young man had to finally prevail at Pentecost. Fraught, as we shall see.

I had brought along my simplest surplice, but of course, given undergraduate exuberance, the one young gentlemen had a supply of the coolest ones imaginable, including one I would like to get.

I stress "younger' because there was the matter of kneeling. For the Eucharistic Prayer, I might have been able to fudge it on grounds of physical disability, but when the moment came during the Offertory for Pentecost, I realized there was no way to make it look good, so I assayed kneeling upright on the marble and singing.

Miraculously, I could do it. And so then I felt compelled to do it for the Eucharistic Prayer. Getting back up required turning around and leaning heavily on my chair, making me grateful that, except for the priest and youthful servers and a few of the faithful, no one could see my lower portions because of the altar and a helpfully-placed organ.

I was able to walk around afterwards so I vowed to lose more weight than I already have and make it easier. The younger gentlemen seemed grateful for my participation, in part because I have a bottom-scraping tessitura and so fill out the sound nicely.

Two days later, I find I am reminded of St. Paul's assertion that << “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. >>

I am not a particularly knowledgeable Bible expositor, but I have concluded that when he added, 'I will not be enslaved by anything," I am pretty sure he wasn't thinking of age. I have forty years on the other choir members.

Which is a long way of saying that I have seen little kneeler strips that are probably less likely to slip away than a pillow. Can anyone recommend a place to buy one?

And I will add that because of that feeling that people that age can bring to something and fine abilities by all involved from the priest on down, it was a wonderful experience.

Thanks.

Kenneth
  • tomjaw
    You need to sing from choir stalls, especially the ones with the little ledge that you can sit against while kneeling.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Fortunately, this parish was not wreckovated, but such accoutrements are lacking. '

Christmas one year fell on the weekend, and in DC that means everyone heads home, so I was it as far as servers for some Masses at the Cathedral. I was holding the book for the Rector as we got to the point where everyone had to kneel. The priest and deacon suppressed little giggles at my rising with the help of the mic stand. Friends expressed appreciation for my service, which told me that it had looked exactly as I thought it had looked. I asked the Rector of a dispensation for the rest of the Masses, which he happily gave.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • I have these, which I use for home improvement stuff, but the orange makes them a little motor-cycly and I could only imagine the reaction if they fell off. Yours might be suitable for sub-cassock use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9J6ZRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Then there's the "getting back up" business.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • WGS
    I wear - quite conveniently and comfortably and inconspicuously - black strap on kneeling pads under my robe when I am serving as acolyte for the TLM. They are readily available in lawn&garden or housekeeping or tool sections of a variety of stores.

and without them, yes, "getting back up" is the problem!
  • ServiamScores
    Pad only: https://www.autom.com/product/personal-kneeler-pad-burgundy-D1218

Here is a very simple kneeler: https://www.livinggracecatalog.com/product/prayer-kneeler-j6441

Lastly, I keep one of these next to the organ. The added benefit of this one is that it can store my shoes. It is built very well and has held up for me multiple years. https://www.autom.com/product/Personal-Kneeler-with-Storage-YC790
  • Thanks, WGS. However, getting up isstill a problem with them. I ordered some pads for work and will see if the style is tame enough. I li
  • ServiamScores the last one looks really nice. Come to think of it, if I show up early and poke around the loft, there may be something there, if memory serves. Well, there are a LOT of things there. I mean I remember seeing something that might be useful.
  • ServiamScores
    At least the one that I’ve received is made of hardwood and stained nicely. Very well built. I initially bought it to have as a footrest and keep in front of my recliner at home for when I said evening prayers, but then I took it to church where it has now lived for four years and also gets used bu other people and stood on by kids. The faux leather cover of the pad has held up nicely, and since the whole thing is built so well I haven’t had any problems at all.
  • And, in the interest of honesty, the summer has seen the disappearance of many undergrads so the choir depends on grad students and community members such as myself. However, the pressure to sing from the chancel came from an undergrad.

Waugh called it "undergraduate fancy," and when it is in service to great beauty it is a great thing.

Carrying around a large teddy bear---not so much.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth