New Mass - Mass of Divine Mercy
  • ericbevansericbevans
    Hello,
    I have recently written a Mass setting, Mass of Divine Mercy. Attached is the piano score and here is a recording https://ericevans.bandcamp.com/album/mass-of-divine-mercy. I don't have choir parts yet. Also, the piano part on the recording is a little different from the score. This is my first mass so any feedback would be welcome.

Thank you!

Eric Evans
    St. Gregory's Catholic Church
    Barbourville, Kentucky
  • Eric,

I haven't yet listened to your Mass, nor have I viewed the score, but I shall do so. What led you to write a Mass with piano accompaniment, or will that be obvious when I read/listen to your setting?
  • Schönbergian
    Upon listening, it becomes obvious.
  • francis
    We appreciate your effort and desire to compose sacred music, but the music in this setting is completely dominating the text and it needs to be the other way around. The melodies are too commonplace or singsongy.
  • In the recording, which I can now hear, the Gloria appears to begin with the word "to".. I've listened several times, and I can't hear "Glory" in the recording at all.

Is this

a) a quirk of the recording
    b) the result of my hearing aids
    c) a mistake you're expecting to correct in the recording, because it's there in the music.
    d) a mistake you were hoping people wouldn't notice
    e) the wrong link
    f) something else

In the Sanctus, the rhythm is jarring, at first, but it's supposed to match the tolling of the bells, I think?

What's the reason that you repeat the text "Our Father, who art in heaven"?

Do you intend that parishes use tolling bells in their bell towers, or that they buy/borrow a set of ?handbells to play, or is the piano actually a synthesizer?

Thanked by 2Don9of11 tomjaw
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I give you an "A" for effort.

I listend to the "Glory to God" and it is very difficult to understand/ hear if you are even saying "Glory." I noticed the same thing in the "Lamb of God" with "grant us peace" the piano is over powering the voice.

I don't like the repeating "Our Father" either. When you pray the "Our Father" in Mass there are no repeats so I wouldn't introduce any in your music. What was your reasoning for this approach?

What I find missing is the sense of "Sacredness" in your music. Here is what I mean.

I think a nice example of a sacred "contemporary" mass setting is found on the CCW website. https://www.ccwatershed.org/jogues/congregational/mass/

or this example which is in Latin not that your text needs to be Latin but the voicing in quite nice. https://www.ccwatershed.org/2022/07/30/pdf-download-contemporary-sanctus-satb/
  • MatthewRoth
    The music reminds me too much of the Thérèse: Vivre d’amour album, especially the last track “La Prière.” It is fine as a meditation on her poems, but it is not meant for congregational singing, as the text is overwhelmed by the piano, and the vocal range required is overwhelming.

The only thing that comes close to a Gregorian melody is, probably accidentally, “Thy kingdom come.”